1W LS Frisbee

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
I play ultimate frisbee. There are transparent frisbees with a regular LED in the center with fiber optics coming out to the sides to light them up when its night time. They are powered by one CR2025.

But I was wondering, what if you put a 1 watter in there? How resistant are they against shock? Frisbees with a regular LED in there already looks sweet. A one watter would make it like 15 times as bright. This is going to be my first custom LS project, so I want some suggestions. I want to use 3 CR2032's in parallel arranged symmetrically 120 degrees apart in the center tangent to the LS module. A aaa would offset the weight balance of the frisbee since I can't put it in the middle. What should I buy from the Sandwich Shoppe? What should I expect my runtime to be?

I remember that this guy put a 1 watter in an ARC aaa. What did he put in there? Is that available from the shoppe? I want the smallest 1 watter I can get. Hopefully cyan.

Thanks.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uh, I don't think you would want to use CR2032 to power up even 1 LS, much less 3. The current draw of the LS is around 350ma when driven at spec, 3 of em would draw slightly over 1 amp. Those batteries have problem coming out with 100ma, much less 1 amp.

I would advice a 1/3AA nimh battery which you can mount in the middle but would still be thin enough to stand up straight so as not to upset the balance of the frisbee. Run time would still be short, but won't be 1/2 as bad.

That is unless you plan on using 10 CR2032, which to me, is not cost effective.

Hope I've been of some help.

chalo

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
FNinjaP90 said:
Frisbees with a regular LED in there already looks sweet. A one watter would make it like 15 times as bright. This is going to be my first custom LS project, so I want some suggestions. I want to use 3 CR2032's in parallel arranged symmetrically 120 degrees apart in the center tangent to the LS module.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think any reasonable number of coin cells will do a decent job of lighting up a 1W emitter. Not to mention the expense of replacing cells every few minutes would really add up.

If you want to do this, consider getting a Li-ion cell phone battery or two and a charger to match on eBay. Some of that stuff is very cheap, like $5/battery, and the 600-1000mAh batteries are extremely flat and lightweight, like 1.4" x 2" x 0.25" or so.

Another form of 3.7V Li-ion batteries that might package more neatly for you are Pila cylindrical cells: http://insulatorz.home.att.net/pila1.htm

I don't think Frisbees are as meticulously balanced as you seem to believe, and any small power source that is placed basically symmetrically and close to the center axis should be OK. Whether the extra weight (over coin cells) would be a problem is for your judgment.

The nominal 3.7V of a Li-ion cell can power a 1W or 3W Luxeon directly, which might make for a simpler, more robust Frisbee than a solution using electronic voltage boosting or the like.

Be careful to devise a plug or electrical clip that enforces proper polarity; Luxeons won't tolerate even a moment of reverse polarity.

Good luck!

StevieRay

Enlightened
How about coating it with glow powder with any design that you want.
Then you can just carry a good UV source to charge it up. Wouldn't be the same effect as leds but would seem to be an alternative that may still look cool.

JollyRoger

Enlightened
I believe Discraft makes glow-in-the dark frisbees that are regulation size and weight (175g).

I would personally use this, along with StevieRay's idea of charging it up between points or so...or in between hocking the 'bee....

A frisbee with an led and batteries in the center just wouldn't feel right, would it?