Zebralight H600Fw Impressions, and Tint Question

Amelia

Enlightened
I think I've been putting the Zebralight owner's kids through college lately! :)

Recently, I got a ZL H600w as an exchange from a non-Zebralight light that didn't work for me. I liked it so much that I almost immediately ordered a H600Fw as a backup, wanting to give a "floody" Zebralight a try. Anyway, it arrived yesterday - so I waited for it to get dark last night then took it for a test drive.

I now know what all you Zebralight "F" fans have been raving about! Until you see it in person, it just can't be easily described. It's like the world in front of you is softly bathed in a glow that doesn't seem to have a source... a glow that doesn't have a "hot spot" like we're used to with typical lights, but still brighter toward the middle somehow. I am completely in awe and in love with this headlamp - it's my first "F" series Zebralight, but it won't be my last. Already ordered a H52Fw to keep it company on the "AA" side of town, and seriously considering some DC Fix or other modification for my H600w to achieve a similar effect. Not much more to say about the "F" lights, other than WOW!!! :)

I was comparing my new H600Fw tint to my other lights today, and for the first time ever I'm having a hard time describing the tint. Toward the center of the beam, it's definitely yellowish or brownish, but in a very subtle light way, not intensely colored. I guess I'd describe it as light golden brown, with just a hint of orange. Around the center, in the spill area, it's a light lavender with kind of reddish orange subtle overtones in it. Really difficult to describe - it's really very lovely. Is this the fabled "rosy tint" that I've heard so much about but never seen?

In any case, I really like it a lot - definitely the best tint of all my Zebralights so far. I hope to see more of it! :)

geokite

Newly Enlightened
Agreed! I really like the frosted lens. Got my first one (H600F) for use on the mountain bike. Combined with a H600 on my helmet, I'm in cordless and lightweight heaven. Better than any other lighting method I've seen.

About a year ago I purchased some frosty window adhesive film, from David Allen I think (from this forum, $3.50 for a small piece). This adhesive film does not turn a non-F light into a F. But it does soften the hotspot, and I like it for protecting the lens for EDC.

Steve

markr6

Flashaholic
Love the d-c-fix. I buy all my ZL headlamps in the "standard" version and add this instead of buying the F models. I just like it better. Great soft flood and hotspot without the tunnel vision.

I'm glad you like the tint. In my experience, Zebralight definitely has the most widely varied tints among their models. It drives me nuts since I like their lights so much. I've had varying tints between EagleTac and Fenix models before, but not to this extent. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever have a "matching set" of Zebralights. I wish they could all be like my SC600w which is almost cool; I'd guess close to 5000°K.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed about the frosted lens as well. When I first got my light, I actually wanted the H600w. But it was not available ANYWHERE. So I got the H600Fw instead. And I'm GLAD I did. It's SUCH a nice light for lighting up an area. I admittedly don't like using headlamps much for outdoor activity (like hiking) due to the glare that they create from dust, mist, etc. But that H600Fw is my go-to light for any nighttime automotive work. And for that, it's the BEST light to use.

As for tint, this used to be kind of a weak point for Zebralight. They were best known for their ugly yellow/green emitters. But this something they have improved considerably on more recent models. My H600Fw is pretty good. But my SC62w is nothing short of AWESOME!

markr6

Flashaholic
But this something they have improved considerably on more recent models.

I would like to give them credit, but it's still up to luck and nothing to do with them selecting better tints or purchasing them from a specific place. Even now, I can place an order for two of the same model and they'll be different...usually one ugly, one decent.

fnsooner

Enlightened
I agree that the flood option that Zebralight offers is awesome. I have owned the H600Fw for about a year and I bought an SC52Fw about a month ago. Love the tint and love the beam.

Both of mine have a slight rosy tint. I don't know if it is the lens that causes this or if I just got lucky.

I would buy an SC62Fw in a heart beat. I wonder if ZL would custom make me one. The parts to do this should be on the shelf.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to give them credit, but it's still up to luck and nothing to do with them selecting better tints or purchasing them from a specific place. Even now, I can place an order for two of the same model and they'll be different...usually one ugly, one decent.

There are still differences in tint between two of the same model (or between different models). For instance, my SC62w has a better tint than my SC52w, which has a better tint than my SC600w, which has a better tint than my H600Fw. But compared to a couple of years ago, their tints are VASTLY better. My first SC52w (non L2 model) was just downright HIDEOUS.

markr6

Flashaholic
There are still differences in tint between two of the same model (or between different models). For instance, my SC62w has a better tint than my SC52w, which has a better tint than my SC600w, which has a better tint than my H600Fw. But compared to a couple of years ago, their tints are VASTLY better. My first SC52w (non L2 model) was just downright HIDEOUS.

I had a really bad SC52w too. It actually got stolen right out of my Jeep in the driveway. I was mad, but didn't really care actually. The anodizing was awesome, almost black. But the tint was the greenest I've ever seen.

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to Fw land, where the soft, creamy glow chases the darkness away and never leaves your side.

Last edited: