UCL or Borofloat - PLEASE VOTE!!

Would you pay $5 for a polycarbonate accessory lens?

• Total voters

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
I need help in recommending which type of lens to use in a flashlight. NOTE: The way you vote will affect a flashlight you might buy in the future!!

The decision: UCL or Borofloat (AR coated).

Advantages/Disadvantages of each:

UCL
Advantage - 99% Light transmittance, less expensive
Disadvantage - Not quite as durable as Borofloat

Borofloat
Advantage - Slightly more durable than UCL
Disadvantage - Around 94% light transmittance, more expensive

The Borofloat would be more expensive than the UCL because it would have to be AR coated after being cut.

Keep in mind these facts:
<ul type="square">[*]The lens would be easily accessed for removal and replacement if broken.
[*]Both lenses would be in the range of about 30mm in diameter and at least 3mm thick.
[*]Cost of the lens would affect the cost of the light.[/list]

zumlin

Enlightened
Hehe, i just voted, the percentage of the UCL right now is 100%.

mmm... there was only 1 vote /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
Borofloat because i'm a specs user who knows how it is to drop a glass lens and have it break.

Alan_L

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if you are able to quantify it, but how much more durable would the Borofloat be? If I couldn't tell the difference in normal use (for instance a drop from waist height on a hard surface), I would vote for the cheaper UCL. Otherwise I would vote for Borofloat.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted for UCL as the lens I would use in virtually all of my mods. I would only have 2 or 3 torches which would require a maximum durability lens. This is relative to extreme heat.

Wilkey

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i voted for the UCL lens. if i wanted durability i'd skip borofloat and go for lexan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Illuminated

Enlightened
Chris,

As long as you're still selling replacements, I'll continue using (voting) for the UCL's. I currently have spares for all my lights, and have yet to break one...uh-oh - I shouldn't have said that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

John

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
Flashlight feature poll - PLEASE VOTE!!

While we're at it, I thought I'd ask another important question - or two.

Would you want your bezel to be assembled using some sort of thread locking compound (like SureFire uses), or would you want to be able to easily remove it for cleaning/modifications/repair.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
Re: Flashlight feature poll - PLEASE VOTE!!

OK - So assuming your the head of your light was sold as being "user serviceable," would you want the choice of having a polycarbonate lens?

Feel free to add any other polls including options not mentioned here - even if it's not lens related. I'm interested in seeing just what the perfect flashlight is to everyone here.

Darell

Flashaholic

Ha! That last one is a no-brainer. And so far I'm 100% right! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Flashlightlens,

Can you give a quick summary of the advantages and disadvantages of glass and polycarbonate for the last poll? Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

EDIT: BTW, is it just me or does it seem like maybe you are going to start making lights, or start working with somebody who does? I think that would be great.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

aaron, glass lenses basically let more light through, are more scratch resistant, and will not melt at higher temperatures. polycarbonate lenses however are cheaper and more rugged because they are practically unbreakable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

it's kind of hard to vote, not knowing the specifics of the light....

in most cases i would prefer ucl lens with an unlocked bezel and a glass lens. in certain cases i would prefer a borofloat or lexan lens with an unlocked bezel.

Saaby

Flashaholic

I'd trade durability for light transmittance. What's 4% in real world use??

Illuminated

Enlightened

Chris,

Any more clues you want to want to entice us with? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

You've got my interest...

john

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Illuminated said:
Any more clues you want to want to entice us with? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't do it.... I'm in a verbal non-disclosure with this project.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the UCL. I would love a light that allows easy user replacement in the event the light requires it. If the light is going to be robust enough for "duty" use repairability is a big factor. I hate having to call surefire evertime I drop my light and the lens cracks.