• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB: Better custom built battery for Magcharger

GarminGPSMap

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Can someone built me a better battery than the OEM battery that comes with the Magcharger? I would like the most capacity battery possible.

Also I am interested in getting an external battery chager buit too. I hate having to put the whole light in the charger to charge. I like SF's idea of having an external battery charger for their lights.

I will pay for all parts, shipping and whatever markup you want (within reason /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Thank you

GarminGPSMap

Newly Enlightened
Re: WTB: Better custom built battery for Magcharge

HI,

I don't like charging in the cradle because when my battery runs dry, it has to sit in the charger out of commision. If I could have a battery charger mounted in my truck with a fully charged battery, then I can just swap and go.

Kind of like the SL Piggy Back charger system. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I tried the powerstream website but I can't find where to order from. If I could find the 1/2 D cells, I can shrink wrap 5 of them right?

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened

The batteries you want are about 3/4 the way down this page [the 2.5Ah version].

You will need 5 of them. I did not shrink wrap mine, but I'm sure it can be done. To build a true Battery Pack I think you need two different types, the four inside cells have a different type of positive contact than the one that actually protrudes from the end of the pack.

I'm not an expert on this, so maybe somebody else can describe in more detail what is needed to make an actual battery pack. It might be difficult to find an external charger that will fit these packs, again I'm not the expert.

The good people at http://www.batterystation.com/ might also be able to help you out with a total solution.

GarminGPSMap

Newly Enlightened

Hi,

Thank you so far for the information! I found 1/2 D batteries at the link you listed above. WIll these work?

1/2 D SIZE: DIA 32.5 mm X HT 36.9 mm

PART NO MFR COMMENT MAH GRAMS OZ PRICE
VRE-1/2 D Saft Pasted 2400 82 $ 4.00

If so I'll get about 10 of them. Also, can't I just charge these in a charger that will take D size batteries? I just put 2 in one slot right?

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened

Contrary to the name, 1/2 D is not exactly half the size of a D cell, I really think you need to talk to an expert. I highly recommend calling or e-mailing Kevin at www.batterystation.com where you can talk to a person that is very knowledgable on the topic of batteries.

He is a sponsor here at CPF, a real nice guy, and can really help you out much better than me.

My requirements didn't include an external battery charger, so I just ordered the 5 x 1/2 D cells and dropped them into the MagCharger without any shrink wrap, it made for a tight fit, but it worked for my purposes.

BTW, The MagCharger comes with a 12V cigarette lighter adaptor for use in your car or truck.

GarminGPSMap

Newly Enlightened

Ok, I'll call tomorrow and see what my options are. I have the 12v cig adaptor but when it runs dry, I still have to leave the Magcharger in the charger.

I guess I can just get an extra mag and keep one fully charged in the cradle. That'll probably be less hassle than creating a battery charger from scratch.

turbodog

Flashaholic

As I was reading this post I was thinking the same thing... just have 2 of them. This will actually be cheaper than doing custom stuff, unless you can do it yourself. Then you also have a lot of spare parts. I can say from experience that the loose 1/2 d cells are a pain to keep up with. I would LOVE to swap my loose 1/2 d cells for a regular mag pack. Look for a post on b/s/t soon.

GarminGPSMap

Newly Enlightened

I'll take it! LOL. If you want to sell your 1/2 d cells that is. No need to put it up on b/s/t /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Are they the Powerstream kind?

I gotta go get an extra Magcharger from Fry's tomorrow. Now I just need 10 1/d d batts.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
GarminGPSMap said:
Also, can't I just charge these in a charger that will take D size batteries? I just put 2 in one slot right?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't charge the 1/2 D cells the way you described. That way you'd have 2.4v worth of cells in a charger designed to charge a cell to 1.2V.
They need to be individually in each place, with a spacer, or something. I use 3/8" drive sockets, myself.

Also, if you're interested in long runtime, get the Powerstream NiMH cells. They are listed right below the NiCD cells. They are 3.8 Ah as opposed to 2.2 or 2.5. That's a significant improvement in capacity.

GarminGPSMap

Newly Enlightened

I've been looking for a place to buy POwerstream batteries. I can't find a place that sells them. Do you know where I can get them?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I thought that you could contact Powerstream directly. I bought some from a member, I thought he got him from them. I could be wrong, but you could email them.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened

I think 1/2 D's are one of the few items that PowerStream will sell retail, I bought mine from them. I got the last few they had in stock, but they may have gotten a new batch since then [about a month ago].

GarminGPSMap

Newly Enlightened

Darn it. I sent them 2 e-mails already and no response. I guess I'll try calling them today! Thanks guys for the info!

I might actually start using my magcharger again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Aluminum Junkie

Newly Enlightened

When you call, ask for Mark, I think he is the only one there that knows about the MagCharger connection. Also, I found that if you take a standard male snap (like the snaps on your jacket) and slip it under the white round insulator disc, it makes a good + contact for the lead battery. The cardboard sleeve slides off and then you can place the snap over the existing nipple, put the white disc back and replace the sleeve. These raw snaps can be purchased at most hardware stores or from anyone who sells leather supplies. I suppose a person could even solder the snap to the battery, but I have not had any problems yet. I also used duct tape to hold all of the batteries together so it's easier to do a battery change.

Reptilezs

Enlightened

how about buying some of the shrink tubing that battery companies use? im not sure where to buy them but they might be available for purchase at custom battery manufacturers

Aluminum Junkie

Newly Enlightened

I am sure it would look very nice, but I am not sure it's worth the trouble, and with tubing that large, you need a heat gun to get it right. I placed the tape lengthwise (4 pieces) after applying minimal pressure with a rubber tipped clamping device. If you clamp to hard, you run the risk of dimpling the battery, and causing poor contact.