Need help with bugs attracted to the light

Tonykarter

Newly Enlightened
Please don't laugh. Suffer me for a moment: You know those blue 27 LED flashlights they give away free with just a coupon at the cheap tool store every now and then? I have several, and I slip a couple of them between the canvas and the frame on the bimini top of my little boat when I night fish. They throw just enough light to get things done without spooking the fish, but the bugs flock to them. They mock my ThermoCell's existence, and collectively spit in its general direction. Can you please clue me in on any tricks that you use to keep the bugs away from your lights? Is there amber or yellow overlay film/glass available that I can put over the lens to convert these to "bug-free" lights? THANKS!

Jeffro115

Newly Enlightened
I've had pretty good results with my Thermacell when we go camping... but I've found out that you need to remain fairly close to it in order to not get bitten up. Generally, I keep it in the cupholder of my camp chair or in the center of the picnic table when we eat.

Back home (and we live in the woods), I have a Flowtron Outdoor Power Vac: http://www.flowtron.com/mm5/merchan...=F&Product_Code=PV-75B&Category_Code=PowerVac

This thing works really well and would probably suit your needs. You'll need 120v power to run it, but a small inverter (100w) plugged into a cigarette lighter should work just fine. It only draws half an amp.

Of course, there is always the electronic bug killer version too... if you don't mind hearing zapp....zaaaaaaappppppp all night!

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could just replace the 27 LED's with red ones. Or amber ones but with a film/filter, those cheap LED's will not have enough power in the red or amber spectrum to pass through.
It can be quite a task to resolder and solder but atleast you probably don't need any fancy electronics if you have a 3xAAA one.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Throw that light away. But don't waste those AAA cells. Recycle the cells and get three "Fourseven's Atom A0 with Red LED." Stainless, 2 modes, .5/15 lm for 5/14 hours per cell, super floody, tiny, with a convenient tail magnet. Its ~630nm, most bugs cannot see it at all, and the ones that can its on the edge of their perceptive abilities. Pretty sure fish can't see it either. Terrible for color rendition, but decent for retaining levels of night-adapted vision if used with restraint. Granted, it is decidedly more expensive than free, but on the plus side you are not burdened with any more worth than what you pay.

buddyrohr

Removed by his own request
Please don't laugh. Suffer me for a moment: You know those blue 27 LED flashlights they give away free with just a coupon at the cheap tool store every now and then? I have several, and I slip a couple of them between the canvas and the frame on the bimini top of my little boat when I night fish. They throw just enough light to get things done without spooking the fish, but the bugs flock to them. They mock my ThermoCell's existence, and collectively spit in its general direction. Can you please clue me in on any tricks that you use to keep the bugs away from your lights? Is there amber or yellow overlay film/glass available that I can put over the lens to convert these to "bug-free" lights? THANKS!
yeah smoke a big cigar. while golfing my buddies were spitting up gnats while i was unaware that there were any bugs flying and nobody was even carrying lights.

Tonykarter

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I have two Thermocells and I place one on each side of me, but that does not keep them away from the lights overhead, and last fishing trip I took one up the nose and one in the mouth. The worst though is taking one in the ear. I will check out the Fourseven's Atom. I like free lights, but I'll pay dearly to have a light that does not attract bugs.