Is there a P3D sized flashlight that uses an 18650?

alank2

Newly Enlightened
I've been carrying a P3D for a long time - I really like the size in my pocket. I've been using AW icr123 750mA batteries in it for a long time (they are so old) and they still work, but they have aged. I tried buying some tenergy rcr123a 3.0v batteries (they were cheap), but they never worked anywhere close to the AW 3.7v ones so I ended up going back to them.

So now I'm thinking I could buy some new ones for it, but part of me has always wanted to go to a 18650 light. I need the tactical instant on full bright (one of the reasons I carry it), so I was looking at the PD35, but it looks quite a bit bigger. Is there something you would recommend that is 18650 that is closer to the P3D size and still has instant on very bright? I like fenix lights, but I'm open to considering others...

Amelia

Enlightened
Either:

Zebralight SC62/SC62d/SC62w (smallest 18650 I know of with instant turbo on)

Or,

EagleTac makes a tactical forward clicky version of the D25LC2, but I can't remember its exact name/number.

Probably a few others, but nothing comes to mind right now.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletac D25LC2 XP-G2. It's a little longer than my P3D XR-E Q5 and has a similar UI and more output and throw. Instant access to high

mdocod

Flashaholic
The Armytek Partner C2 V2 takes an 18650, is 4.6" long, 1" diameter, 2.2 ounces. With the head tightened, it operates as a single mode (max) tactical light with forward clicky switch.

I would probably feed it unprotected LG ICR18650E1 cells, and charge them with the Xtar VP2 for best results with this specific flashlight.

radiopej

Enlightened
I've got a PD32 UE and the UC35 which is basically a rechargeable PD35. The tint on the UE is so much better. I don't really find the light output to be much more useful with the UC35. The UE is also a little longer than I'd generally like, but still manageable. The PD35 is even longer than that.

alank2

Newly Enlightened
The PD32 has instant and momentary on with the tailcap button right? Is there any advantage to the PD35 over the PD32UE? Is the PD32UE still current? I don't see it many places...

kj2

Flashaholic
The PD32 has instant and momentary on with the tailcap button right? Is there any advantage to the PD35 over the PD32UE? Is the PD32UE still current? I don't see it many places...
You've the option to turn the light On momentarily (last used constant output mode) and turn On in the last mode used (not strobe), indeed.
The PD35 is the 'successor' of the PD32UE. Many prefer the 32UE because of the NW tint. The PD32UE is discontinued quite a while now, so it's hard to find one in stock.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P3D is slim at around 22mm and cannot take 18650's. I still have mine from way back. I think the Eagletac and Zebralight SC62 are good options. I have the SC62 and it is small. Another compact light that uses 18650 is the Nitecore EC21. I have one and it is a great light. I really like the two button UI if the EC21 and the red light feature. I was surprised that the beam is not really affected by the red LED (at least on my sample). It throws really well too.

alank2

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone, I took a chance on the PD35 to see if I could handle bigger. It arrived today and while it is bigger, it fits in the pocket easily. I love how bright it is and that it takes an 18650.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! I'm late to the party, but I hope the PD35 works well for you. I carry mine daily and don't mind the size at all.

alank2

Newly Enlightened
Nice! I'm late to the party, but I hope the PD35 works well for you. I carry mine daily and don't mind the size at all.

Thanks. I got the one on Amazon with the Edison Bright 3400mah battery and D2 charger. The picture showed it was a non branded D2, but the one that came says Nitecore D2 on it. I don't mind the UI at all because I can have instant turbo with the tailcap and change the brightness with the side button. Getting that pocket clip off it took a bit of work though, that was quite firm.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I have kept the pocket clip on mine but I imagine it's difficult to get off. I really like the UI of this light. I also have a PD32UE which is what made me like the form factor and UI to begin with. They have both served me very well for the last few years.