Dorcy AAA....Reflector Removal?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I think the reflector assembly holds the LED and PCB assembly at the correct orientation when the flashlight is assembled. I don't think it can be removed, but I could be wrong.

If you can remove it, you should be able to spray paint the shiny portion a flat black, and then reinstall it back in the flashlight; that should effectively remove it from the optical train.

red_robby

Enlightened
the reflector can be removed, use a small flathead screwdriver from inside the head, small taps on the edges
of the plastic "lens" while the head is face down on a table. once the lens is flush with the rim of the head (it will stop there because it face down on the table), hold it in one hand, then push one side with the driver, rotate 180, push the other side, etc.
**notice** there is a small lip on the inside of the head, make sure you are tapping the lens and not the lip...
this might be a bit of a pain but the beam will greatly improve.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have no pics, but i modded several this way.

you can sand the chrome off the reflector, and it REALLY cleans up the beam.

what surprised me is that the plastic under the chrome on one was black, the other was white.

Bob

red_robby

Enlightened
there is a pic of a luxeon mod with a glow reflector

f9fcab87.jpg

StevieRay

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
red_robby said:
there is a pic of a luxeon mod with a glow reflector

f9fcab87.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of luxeon did you use?

bluewater

Newly Enlightened
dorcyhead.jpg

This is a look inside the head.
I just took the reflector/lens out of mine. The part you want to "tap" on is the outer silver ring. The red around the ring is part of the flashlight body. The ring on the body is enough to hold the LED and pcb firmly in place. The beam is fantastic without the reflector!

Before and after

dorcyaaamod.jpg

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one in trade that was already modded for a white Luxeon. It still has its reflector but was drilled a bit wider. The beam is superb! Totally artifact free. But I can't guarantee that the reflector is doing much at this point since a good portion of it was drilled.

Incidentally, how bright are your Luxeon mods? This light isn't really any brighter than the stock Nichia, but is still preferable due to the superior quality of the beam. Are you guys getting greater brightness out of your Luxeons? Sorry if this falls a bit off topic.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
milkyspit said:
Incidentally, how bright are your Luxeon mods? This light isn't really any brighter than the stock Nichia, but is still preferable due to the superior quality of the beam. Are you guys getting greater brightness out of your Luxeons? Sorry if this falls a bit off topic.

[/ QUOTE ]
Scott, see this thread:
Luxeon 1AAA Dorcy mod

With a LD, I got a slight *decrease* in peak lux [15 vs 17] but about 3X the total light. If you want a gain in peak lux over stock, use a HD. The beam of the HD is not quite as nice though.

red_robby

Enlightened
I did one LD which was not much brighter but the beam was more of a flood and very smooth, the HD are noticeably brighter.