Entire home lighted by LEDs

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Very nice and very futuristic looking. Are those all luxeons? Must cost a fortune.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
MTFD17 said:
Wow! Very nice and very futuristic looking. Are those all luxeons? Must cost a fortune.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure that at least some of them are Luxeons, and some of them are probably RGB clusters. It IS very futuristic and sleek looking, but it also looks... dim. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
Not very conducive to sitting at the table and reading a newspaper.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does look rather pink or purple and dim. But then he went for some star trek fixtures in the floors and lots of uplighting which isn't really the best way to emulate regular lighting. If you put a dozen luxeons in a regular old overhead fixture it would be quite nice and bright /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The couple of shots that include a window though show that the pictures and movies were taken during the day with the shades pulled which might let in enough daylight to make the camera make it look darker than it really is. It might actually be better after dark.

Then there is the little matter of the mirror over the bathtub in that one movie...

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
It does look rather pink or purple and dim. But then he went for some star trek fixtures in the floors and lots of uplighting which isn't really the best way to emulate regular lighting. If you put a dozen luxeons in a regular old overhead fixture it would be quite nice and bright /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The couple of shots that include a window though show that the pictures and movies were taken during the day with the shades pulled which might let in enough daylight to make the camera make it look darker than it really is. It might actually be better after dark.

Then there is the little matter of the mirror over the bathtub in that one movie...

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point... the camera might have been on auto-iris and it might have been reacting to the stray daylight leaking in around the blinds. And I'm also wondering what color the walls really are.

As for me, the mirror over the bathtub would HAVE to go! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I saw an article in the newspaper a day or two ago about the "LED Apartment".
And I share PhotonWrangler's sentiment: the mirror over the bathtub would have to be removed if I lived in that place.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif :toliet: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

(Edit)
I found the article, in the L&A section of yesterday's Seattle P.I.
The headline above the article reads "Twinkle, twinkle LED, how we long for light from thee". This should be sung to the tune of "Twinkle twinkle little star". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
What's the big deal about this? I don't see why anyone would want to light an apartment with LED's. Fluorescents are much more power efficient and can have a nicer color spectrum. Incandescents just about always have a nicer spectrum, but aren't more efficient.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember reading somewhere in National Geographic that there is a man (presumably a Dr. Something) who is bringing LEDs into the homes of residents in third world countries for the fact that LEDs consume lesser power and would in long run help them out in saving costs. If only I know where I placed that edition....

Andy Ho

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
If you put a dozen luxeons in a regular old overhead fixture it would be quite nice and bright /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ] 12 Luxeon IIIs driven at 1A spec (80 lumens) x 12 = 960 lumens.

(12A * 3.5v = 42W?)

One 75 watt incandescent = 1000+ lumens.

One 40 watt flourescent = 3000+ lumens.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Cant see the images now anyway! Since you guys saw those pictures they have closed the gallary beacause of too many hits!

Doug

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
My site got Slashdotted in late 2000, and it went through 16.7 terabytes of bandwidth in just one day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
Now that my site is larger, it would probably use 50-60Tb of bandwidth a day if it got Slashdotted today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

So it's no wonder the site in the original post got disabled. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
What's the big deal about this? I don't see why anyone would want to light an apartment with LED's. Fluorescents are much more power efficient and can have a nicer color spectrum. Incandescents just about always have a nicer spectrum, but aren't more efficient.

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously it's both the gee-whiz value of solid-state lighting, coupled with the creative design optioins of being able to place small, color-variable point light sources in unusual places where fluorescents wouldn't fit and other technologies would get too hot.

I think that example "apartment" would not function well as a living space, once the novelty wore off (probably after about a half-hour) but it would be really nice in an upscale nightclub or an editing suite.

LED-FX

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Must be very hot in that house, LED emits more heat than incandescent for the same amount of light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite, efficency in white about same as tungsten halogen lamp, bit more efficient than standard tungsten lamp.

Point here is no where near same amount of light as there would be using incandescent lighting in the vospad.

Adam

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
LED-FX said:
Point here is no where near same amount of light as there would be using incandescent lighting in the vospad.

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, there's just not enough light to sit down and read a paper by.

I think the designers just threw in every type of LED fixture that they could cook up just to show off all of them in one place. If they really wanted to show off the whole package as a single, integrated lighting package for a living space, they should have included either some Luxeon-based or conventionally-lamped reading lights.

LED-FX

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
If they really wanted to show off the whole package as a single, integrated lighting package for a living space, they should have included either some Luxeon-based or conventionally-lamped reading lights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point, there are no floor or table lamps at all.

Adam