First Impressions L3 Illumination L08 AAA N219B 4500K 92 CRI

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love this thing!
the action is smooth, it has a .09 lumen firely level that I really like having, plus a 3 lumen, 30 lumen and 120 lumen level. It heats up fast on High. The 3 and 30 lumen levels are very practical for many situations, plus the firefly and High are very useful in special circumstances.

I love the versatility of having all these modes in one light that delivers high CRI and NO PWM!

The beam is more focused to a hotspot than the Olight i3s and Prometheus Beta.

The L08 weighs 34 grams loaded with a 12 gram Eneloop. It is as long as the Beta. I like the form factor of the L08 very much. Due to the length it is easy to handle, and due to the flared head it is easy to feel which end to twist on. The knurling is very nice, and in all the right places.

By contrast, the L10 loaded with a 24 gram AA Eneloop weighs 48 grams, 14 grams more than the L08 loaded with a 12 gram AAA Eneloop. Im tempted to add an L11 to my experience.. Ive got a few AA Eneloops with nowhere to go. I plan to skip the L10 due to the lack of a spring, and because Im curious to try a clickie.

I have not played with the included pocket clip. It appears it could be reversed as a baseball cap clip also. Though it could be placed on a keyring, I see this more as a glovebox or vest or jacket pocket light. I would buy it again, and I think it would make a great gift.

Let me emphasize that this is an N219 High CRI light with NO PWM! For under $20. Absolutely recommended.

The following pics are the 34 gram L08, 48 gram Prometheus Beta, and 22 gram Olight i3s, weight loaded with 12 gm Eneloop AAA's. Beamshots are on high, 120 lumen for the L08, 85 for the Beta, and 85 for the i3s, mfg claimed specs...
IMG_7662.JPG

IMG_7663.JPG

IMG_7656.JPG

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
In my opinion, the L08 is the wost designed flashlight I have seen on CPF.

I wouldn't go that far, but I'll meet you half way and say it's not for me. Doesn't make sense since it's basically an L10 head with a slightly smaller/lighter body, with a lot less capacity.

But I guess it's a nice option for those who like the AAA format.

Ezeriel

Enlightened
I adore my L08.... aside from the need to clean the threads more often than I'm used to, and the light doing very odd things when they are dirty, It's perfect.

Being able to start out in fire fly, and a very usable 3 lumens after that.... I get a lot of use out of one battery.

As a pocket light it's perfect, and if I want a real light, I get my LD12 or E40.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the beam profile and tint of the middle light best.

Have had 2 i3s over the years. Tint absolutely sucks. Clip is necessary for me though.

Still looking for that perfect AAA light.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's basically an L10 head with a slightly smaller/lighter body, with a lot less capacity.

I agree the L10 is more efficient. I went with the L08 because I wanted a direct comparison to my other AAA lights.

fwiw, one AAA Eneloop weighs 12 grams and runs for 21 minutes per selfbuilt chart below
one AA Eneloop weighs 26 grams, slightly more than double and runs for 83 minutes, which is almost 4 times longer from a battery just twice as heavy. So yes, the L10 is twice as efficient as the L08. I dont own an L10 yet, but see one in my future :)

I wont be buying any more low CRI cool white XP-G2 lights like the Fenix E05, Olight i3s or Thrunite Ti3, the N219 has SOOO much better Color and CRI. And Im especially impressed that the L08 offers the high CRI option with NO PWM. I hope to get a CCT and CRI reading of the L08 compared to the Prometheus Beta which uses PWM. Im very curious to see if the PWM circuit produces higher CRI as hoped from a PWM circuit, than the Regulated circuit in the L08. I also want to confirm the claimed 4500K and 92 CRI of the L08.

fwiw the L08 with N219B light seems more blue than the Prometheus Beta N219A, which looks warmer.

this pic from the excellent selfbuilt review here L3 Illumination L08
L08-L10-Eneloop-1.gif

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the L08 is useful in that, if you like the L10, you can have a similar light to take the common AAA battery. The AA of course will give you better runtime, but I think it makes sense to have a light you like that take different batteries. Time may come you're out and about, and maybe you can't find AAs but only AAAs, or vice-versa. Good to have the L08, just in case, if you've got and like the L10s.

It would not be my first choice as a dedicated AAA light, if that is what you are looking for.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Courtesy of darksucks.com here is a Color temperature and CRI reading of the L3 L08
IMG_7835.JPG

I like everything about the modes and CRI of the L08. I also like that when used as a candle the deep reflector prevents the led from blinding me from side angles, the way the shallower reflectors on my other aaa lights do, for example my Thrunite Ti3, Olight i3s, and Maratac Cu Rev3.

2 thumbs vigorously UP for the L08 with N219

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will an L8 head fit on an L10 body by any chance?

RByers91

Newly Enlightened
Will an L8 head fit on an L10 body by any chance?

According to the review posted above, it will not fit.

Note that does not mean the heads are interchangeable. The body design has changed considerably from the L10, where the current passed through the threads and battery tension was maintained by a foam cushion in the head (with a raised tail post). In the L08, there is an isolated circuit board that makes contact with a dedicated area of the body tube (requiring the use of a tail spring instead of head cushion now).