Radio Shack 4AA 7LED Light

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Has anyone tried this light? Does it have a current regulator?

611-8956.jpg

Radio Shack's web page say that it run 50 hours on 4 alkaline batteries. Streamlight Pro-Polymer 4AA 7LED runs un-regulated at 155 hours.

rlhess

Enlightened
50 hours? 155 hours? C'mon now! That's so there's about 1 cd coming out of the light..or less.

Here is what I measured a year or so ago for the SL 4AA 7 LED. I suspect the RS will be similar.

sl4aaled.gif

The tail is very long, but is it useful?

Cheers,

Richard

paulr

Flashaholic
Hmm, it looks like the tail is about 1/20th of full brightness, so if each of the 7 led's with new batteries is as bright as an Infinity Ultra, then 1/20th of that is in the neighborhood of a regular CMG Infinity. I'd certainly say that's useful, but of course I'd still want to change the batteries as soon as I could.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Hm, 5 hours of good light and the rest was junk... Now I really wonder if the Radio Shack light have a regulator in matter to claim 50 hours. Streamlight claim 155 hours but their last 150 hours is very dim...

I guest that at the brightness of an Infinity, it's still "ok" to do minor stuff.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked on the Radio Shack website here in the US, and didn't see this light. Am I missing it or is it only available in Canada?

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Hm, not sure why it's only available in Canada. Here is the detail of the light.
For those who doesn't know the conversion rate, it's about US$25.

611-8956full.jpg

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. I put in that part number but no luck in the US. It looks like it has a push button tail cap is this correct? I assume it does. I'm betting this light is basically the same as the SL.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
No, it's not a push button tail cap, I remember reading on the package which say to twist the head to turn the light on. I can double check this info on Monday when I'll be at work.

Also, from my knowledge, Streamlight have all their LED around the edge. Radio Shack has a middle LED then 6 around the edge.

JJHitt

Enlightened
It looks like the same light that Glow-Bug sells as thier "NightBuster AquaLed".

http://www.glowbug.com/product.php?sku=212

I'd say it's probably a nice light, but I'd rather have the StreamLight ProPoly 4AA which has a tailswitch instead of being twist on.

It's nice to see RatShack finallty getting on the LED bandwagon and with a product that looks resonably decent.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good detective work.

It looks nice, but I'd give up the waterproof for the push button tail any day.

rlhess

Enlightened
Hey, Calgary Guy,

10 fc is a bit less than half the brightness of an Arc AAA LE witth fresh batteries and about 1/3 the brightness of the Infinity ULTRA or the CMG Sonic.

We want a minimum of 50fc or so for reading and fine work at a desk or workbench needs 100fc or a bit more. The center work area at my desk at home is 80-100 fc.

As you know, 10 cd will provide 10fc at 1 foot. Inverse square law applies. 10cd will provide 2.5 fc at 2 feet and 0.4 fc at 5 feet (10/25).

The tail is enough to navigate on in darkness if you're dark adapted and enough to find new batteries if you sort of know where they are.

Cheers,

Richard

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Yeah, I'm not sure in the US, but in Canada, we have a few new LED flashlight in Radio Shack. One of it was a 1 watt LED running on 3 AAA batteries, a 3 nichia LED running on 3 AA batteries was also introduced.

Richard, thanks for the explanation, I'll keep in mind that I'll need more fc for efficient work light.