New SureFire P2X Fury with Intellibeam

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was browsing around the SureFire website and noticed they had added the new P2X Fury with Intellibeam (Link).

I saw a couple of these at SHOT Show and they are pretty slick. Basically there are able to measure the amount of light being reflected back and can drop output accordingly to reduce glare to the user. In the samples I saw, this was accomplished via a small tube that stuck through the reflector and reached out to the lens.

DSCF3878.jpg

During a media demo the SureFire rep turned the light on and walked toward a wall about 15 feet away. Even though he approached within a few inches of the wall, the beam reflected off the wall remained constant. This feature is not unique but it's the smoothest version I have observed so far. Constant output is also available for times the dimming feature is not needed or desired.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can see Andrew from SureFire talk about the P2X w/ Intellibeam at the 7:30 mark in my video from SHOT Show. Although he shows how it works, what is shown in the video really doesn't do it justice.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
cland72, yes Knurling is back. Albeit a small amount of it. Looks like the same that was on the Peacekeeper. I must admit, I really like the Peacekeeper. I am surprised we don't see more talk about it. Overall, it is a great light. I picked one up off the bay for less than $100, the fellow sold it cheap because he said, "None of his friends had a charger for this special battery". LOL Bless his little heart!

Intellibeam...interesting.... But haven't we seen this somewhere before?? Nitecore SENS Series?? Wonder how this will play out in courts, assuming Nitecore was first & patented their technology?? Its possible we could be some patent role reversal here?

In the end, it is good to see SF changing things up. Hope its not a gimmicky feature. I could see this being rather useful.

It solves my issue with using the Peacekeeper around the house. Not having a way to turn it on in low is a bummer. When you just want to use it for a close up task you have to cycle through the eye blazing high mode.

Thanks 880arm.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a LED Lenser headlamp that functions similarly and I think I've seen another brand of headlamp that does the same thing (Princeton Tech maybe?). The difference between this and the LED Lenser is the number of levels. Where my headlamp has 3 or 4 distinct output levels, the sample of the Fury Intellibeam had something like 127 or 255. The net effect was the perceived brightness pretty much remained constant as it came closer to another object. I look forward to trying one of these in the real world.

I think the Nitecore you mentioned varied output based upon angle rather than reflected light.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just saw this on Surefire's website today and immediately did a search to see if anyone posted about it here.

My opinion? On first look it looks gimmicky, but when I thought about it further, this really made sense. I like my current Fury, but there are times where I felt the 15 lumens is too low and 500 lumens too high. If this new Intellibeam technology really works, it's gonna solve the problem I faced with the Fury. Keen to see how this will progress!

I don't think this light infringes Nitecore's design. Nitecore's SENS technology uses motion based sensor to sense the angle of the light. Point down and it goes low, point up and it goes high. Not sure if they made further changes to the technology but at least that was what I last gathered. Kind of silly if you ask me because someone might be standing on the edge of a cliff and shining downwards only to have the light cut output on its own.

For this new Fury, it made sense. Just like using a camera's photometric sensor, it tells the Fury if there is too much light reflected back and the Fury's onboard chip will adjust the output accordingly. I am guessing that for this to work, the processor built into the Fury must be working non-stop to keep gathering light reflectance info. Would this consume more power? Will it work seamlessly? Will it always be getting the output just right, or will it cause the light to behave erratically? That is what I want to know. As someone pointed out, it is a pity that the user have no option of selecting for low output. Would be nice if there is a way to select for low output, maybe through a side switch so the user will not have to depend on the tail switch alone and thus having to cycle through it 3 times just to get to high, or maybe tail switch controls low and high and the side switch for the Intellibeam output? Just my thought.

k3751

Newly Enlightened
cland72,

In the end, it is good to see SF changing things up. Hope its not a gimmicky feature. I could see this being rather useful.

+1 on this. I traded out my Fury as my secondary duty light for my Z2 with an M61 b/c I found the Fury too bright for indoors, close up work. If anyone's curious, my primary light is a Hound Dog. Hound Dog for outside, Z2 (formerly Fury) for inside.

R.W.D.

Enlightened
I agree with saying the 15 500 sucks on my p2x but I'll tell you what on my p3x's its ridiculous.. You better hope you don't bump into high while using it up close because its a flashbang without a bang and it will punch your freaking retnas hard xD I have a petzel nao and I like the feature and i ve wanted a regular flashlight that worked this way so I might have to get one and see how it is.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a really cool feature but I just can't buy one until the green tint is changed and I guess it will stay the same as long as Surefire uses the XM-L in the Fury. I've owned two and both had tint I did not like and I've searched local stores when they would let me open the box and check the tint, no luck.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a really cool feature but I just can't buy one until the green tint is changed and I guess it will stay the same as long as Surefire uses the XM-L in the Fury. I've owned two and both had tint I did not like and I've searched local stores when they would let me open the box and check the tint, no luck.
You have to be really lucky I guess. Mine was real white whereas two other pieces which I purchased on behalf of my friends had greenish tint.

tolkaze

Enlightened
For this new Fury, it made sense. Just like using a camera's photometric sensor, it tells the Fury if there is too much light reflected back and the Fury's onboard chip will adjust the output accordingly. I am guessing that for this to work, the processor built into the Fury must be working non-stop to keep gathering light reflectance info. Would this consume more power? Will it work seamlessly?

I think it would be very little power usage. My guess is that it is more of a passive effect. The light on the photo sensor, would generate a small current, that would be fed back to the driver. I think it wouldn't use significantly more power than continuously turning a magnetic ring on a light, but I could be wrong.

The thing that concerns me, is that the tube for the sensor comes out of the reflector, and sits behind the glass. This will limit the use of a diffuser because the diffuser will scatter light back into the sensor, and lower the output. Also, if your lens gets really dirty, will it block the sensor and ramp the power right up? What about if your light is on and you put it bezel down on a hard surface, it will lower the output due to back scattering of light. What if you put it down on a soft surface, or something that may block the sensor, it could go full power.

Its a great idea otherwise, but I would have liked the sensor not in the reflector, maybe as a separate part of the bezel

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it would be very little power usage. My guess is that it is more of a passive effect. The light on the photo sensor, would generate a small current, that would be fed back to the driver. I think it wouldn't use significantly more power than continuously turning a magnetic ring on a light, but I could be wrong.

The thing that concerns me, is that the tube for the sensor comes out of the reflector, and sits behind the glass. This will limit the use of a diffuser because the diffuser will scatter light back into the sensor, and lower the output. Also, if your lens gets really dirty, will it block the sensor and ramp the power right up? What about if your light is on and you put it bezel down on a hard surface, it will lower the output due to back scattering of light. What if you put it down on a soft surface, or something that may block the sensor, it could go full power.

Its a great idea otherwise, but I would have liked the sensor not in the reflector, maybe as a separate part of the bezel
I am sure this is very much an experimental technology that Surefire is coming up with. We probably won't know what issues the users will face until some time of ownership. Your concerns are legit and that is something worth noting. Maybe Surefire did not intend for this light to be put in a rough or combat type situation?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was on the Bay and saw a few sold. I don't suppose some of the buyers are from here? Any views and thoughts?

880arms, will you by any chance be doing a review of it?