Flashlight defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
They performed really well in the movie Demolition Man: Wesley Snipes/Sylvester Stallone.

Joking aside, what will you use it for? on duty carry, sitting beside the bedroom door? I'm wondering if you have to use it as a baton just one time, will it damage the electronics or fall apart in your hands. Go to a local police supply store to see if it's something they're familiar with...they're usually 100% spot on with advice on something like this

JasonJ

Newly Enlightened
I would also check local laws and ordinances; in some parts of Amerika it would be illegal to own this or have one shipped to your residence. Yet in others, no one would care.

If you can legally own and possess this, I would look into exactly what the consequences of using it are. When it comes to self-defense, some people tend to think anything that is NOT a firearm or knife is generally OK. Not so. You may be in less legal trouble afterwards if you had used a firearm instead of some flashlight-stun gun-baton thing.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Stun guns are illegal in many areas. Furthermore, most are incapable of causing more than minor discomfort. The newer Tasers are the only stun guns worth messing with, and even these can and do fail to stop people.

A flashlight that is obviously configured like a nightstick will also be problematic in many areas.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
My son, 6'tall, 230 lbs, loves to take stun guns that are available for public purchase (not police dept Tasers) and shock himself to show how little effect they have. Their best effect is the noise they make, that might make a young person hesitate. They will have little or no effect on a seasoned criminal. He laughs at the descriptions of how they will supposedly "incapacitate" someone for up to 5 minutes(most leave a little red mark)...

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
My hands would be more effective than many 'stunguns' on the market today...and thats with flailing like a little girl. The reason why stun guns 'only' scorch an area is because the terminal spread isnt large enough. It *might be* more effective if you were to extend either terminal out to be about a foot apart so the current might pass through the body rather than a small portion of skin. Or have piercing probes than make contact with the bloodstream or subcutaneous layer. Contact stunners dont work because of high resistance/low conductance. A taser works because they break skin, and have a greater effective spread, and actually do operate at the higher voltages.

lawor8

Newly Enlightened
The thought process was to give it to my wife as she jogs around the park. She would never be comfortable with a gun (and this state does not allow CW). Hoping that a bright strobe would blind her assailant, the stun gun/baton would allow her to "touch him up" just enough to distract him and allow her enough time to flee. I may be naive but I am just looking at options

JasonJ

Newly Enlightened
Nice plan. Don't count on it working. Your Plan A should be to have a Plan B.

You and your wife would be better served having her take a woman's self defense class. Knowing how to escape a hold and incapacitate an attacker and flee without the use of an Internet doodad is much more valuable.

I'm sure in your head it sounded great. But let's be realistic here. If she is attacked in the park, chances are it'll be by surprise and she may panic. Having to remember which end is the electric one and where the black button on a black baton is in the dark probably isn't going to go well. Best of luck. But have her train properly and not hope for the best with this flashlight thingy.

David18t

Newly Enlightened
Not sure where you are but concealed carry is now allowed in all 50 states in the USA?

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a bright enough flashlight ~ 400 OTF perhaps, with a strike bezel can do the following:
  • Allows the user to light up an otherwise completely dark or dimly lit area and scan for potential threats before entering the area.
  • With it in hand and at the ready while proceeding with caution and full alertness, blind an unarmed assailant for a split second or 2 and be able to use the light as a striking weapon against him or her, with the intent of extracting yourself so you can run away. Beats empty-handed.

If the assailant is armed with a knife or firearm, unless you have additional combat skills that don't require the flashlight in the first place, the flashlight will not do you much good. If you can run like Usain Bolt, I suppose you can try to blind him or her and then run away. Zig-zagging of course, so you're not an easy target.

dss_777

Enlightened
No amount of hardware, including this Romulan sex-toy looking thing, is going to solve what is mostly a software problem. Careful decision making about where she chooses to run, when, with whom, and with what tools to get that done is the issue. Whatever problems she might have in the park started before she went out the door to run.

As others have pointed out, situational awareness, thoughtful planning, and appropriate training will go the farthest in helping your wife keep herself safe.

And a good flashlight or headlamp, of course. :)

dss_777

Enlightened
For those interested ( and those living in So Cal) I got this link from a friend who's a police officer who is researching the legality of owning this device. http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/stungun-laws-california.htm

This thing is junk, is not likely to work, or for very long, and is very unlikely to actually do what they claim it will even if it does function. Quality costs money. There's a reason the Tazers sold for civilian use, like the C2, run $300-400.

Consider having her look into this training: http://www.impactpersonalsafety.com/

It's intense, but effective.

And carry a good light. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.