Anyone know anything about Solaray Pro ZX-1

tomcat017

Enlightened
A coworker of mine knows I'm a flashlight junkie, and asked me about a light he found. The brand is Solaray and the model is the Pro ZX-1. Looks like a Chinese high-lumen light, but embarrassingly had to tell him I didn't know anything else about the brand.

Anything special? Anyone use/own/know about these?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I googled it. Be glad you don't know it well. Looks like a cheap junk zoomie to me. I would say it likely cost them $2 to make it. But if he is happy with it, it's all good ya dig.

tomcat017

Enlightened
Thanks guys! You're right about the re-branding. Here appears to be another incarnation:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SGGFPZA/?tag=cpf0b6-20

So safe to say avoid it? Amazingly, the reviews on amazon are numerous and very good. And while it's less than our surefire and fenix lights, they're not cheap compared to what most uninitiated people would spend on a light.

So here's a larger question: what do you guys consider to be the main features that make a quality light a quality light, and therefore worth the big $$$. What are the key or most major differences that separate a 'quality' LED light from a $50 waste?

chuckhov

Enlightened
"So here's a larger question: what do you guys consider to be the main features that make a quality light a quality light, and therefore worth the big $$$."

Excellent question, but rather than ask it in this thread, perhaps you should start a new thread for it.

People in the mainstream are going to see the subject line that you have here, and just pass right over it.

Thanks,

-Chuck

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
Sorry for necro'ing the thread but I thought I should share this.
My uncle bought that flashlight kit and it stopped working within five seconds of turning it on. I wasnt able to tell much but it seemed less than 200 lumens, maybe the medium mode? I narrowed down the problem to the driver electronics as everything else let electricity flow but the LED was not getting anything. The two 18650 batteries came at ~3.8 volts and the included charger charged them both overnight to 4.24 volts. I have no way of knowing the quality of the batteries or their real capacity. I will try to measure them later to get some figures.
The dealer on amazon claims a dissapointingg 150 meter throw with 1200 lumens fully "zoomed" considering my dads advertised 2000 lumen (~150 lumen) gets light there further. :confused:
I am sure that the dealer would replace the light but I am going to recommend that he gets a more reputable brand, he is in need of a flashaholic intervention :naughty: (I will post a good story later).

judgmentcenter

Newly Enlightened
I bought the Pro ZX-1. 1200 lumes. Then I called and left a voice mail message asking about their larger Pro ZX-1XL and when it is going to be in stock. Someone called me back with 60 minutes that night *7pm eastern. Told me my answer. When it was in stock I bought it.

I keep the smaller one in my car's glove box (Florida heat does not reduce the battery life). The other one Pro ZX-1Xl is on my gun belt (law enforcement). It is also 1200 Lumes. Both are rugged. Both are just as advertised. One improvement they said they might make in the future is to "remember" the last setting you used for the next time you turn it on. So it will automatically go to the last setting you used (high, med, low, flash, sos).

It is rugged. Used it for 8 months, no issues with flashlights OR with batteries being recharged as needed. Dropped the larger one twice, dirt once and cement sidewalk once. Still works fine, but end is scratched from the cement drop. I hate that I did that, but I was chasing someone and it slipped from my hand. I even have it in a flashlight case on my 2.25" gun belt. The one in my glove box is just wrapped in a small cloth to protect it from any scratches.

Someone said 200 lumes. NOT TRUE at all. It is 1200. IF less, then you didn't buy the real ones, but a knock off non-name brand.