LED conversions for the Surefire 8X?

M-10man

Newly Enlightened
I have a Surefire 8x and really like the light but would like to see if someone is making or would be willing to make an LED conversion for the bulb? Thanks in advance.
Mark

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Do a search here on CPF and you should see some posts pop up. Most of it is years old though. I built one using a stock X80 reflector and a custom pill but the stock reflector is pretty sad for performance. Not much throw and lots of spill. The good news is you can make a good ole P60 LED of your flavor work however it does require you to bore out the head, just a tad, to accept it. That will get you what you are seeking. Good luck and welcome to CPF!

Last edited:

wedlpine

Enlightened
I have a 8ax and a 8nx and would love a Malkoff like drop-in for them. I would actually like 2 or 3 different ones for each light. Somebody here has got to be able to do something like that. I would be willing to pay a premium for quality drop-ins.

Last edited:

m4a1usr

Enlightened
I have a 8ax and a 8nx and would love a Malkoff like drop-in for them. I would actually like 2 or 3 different ones for each light. Somebody here has got to able to do something like that. I would be willing to pay a premium for quality drop-ins.

There are a few of us modders doing this type of work but in the case of your SF 8NX the head is designed slightly different that the 8X. Not to mention you would really only be able to install a timid level LED due to heat build up. The Nitrolon head is great for dings and nick protection but it sux for thermal conductivity. Another issue is all of that series lights have a clear plastic lens that cracks over time due to heat. And since the stock X80 lamp is 28.5mm dia, and a traditional P60 is 26mm, it applies that heat directly to the unsupported portions of the lens, making it bulge and bow out. That deformation and the odd drop or hard impact typically shatters it and or at the least changes its clarity and now it comes more of a filter than a lens.

Last edited:

Celt

Newly Enlightened
This topic of an LED upgrade for the 8NX 8AX 8X lights has been asked many times around here. Short anwser, no one has been able to come up with any type of good reliable setup. The closest thing you could maybe do is build an adapter for a p60 type module to sit in, as the P60 LA is slightly smaller than the 8X's x80.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
I have a Surefire 8x and really like the light but would like to see if someone is making or would be willing to make an LED conversion for the bulb? Thanks in advance.
Mark

To the OP and the rest of those interested in an LED conversion here is something that I just played with and found is a work around if an LED drop is what you seek. Turns out a Surefire P60L fits the 8X without any mod to the head. But it is a bit short in OAL (compared to an X80 lamp) and will require a short spacer placed between the P60L reflector and the lens. That shouldn't be too hard for the average joe to come up with. The stock B90 pack works too! Just remember that a P60L is 6v in case a battery adapter is an addition you are planning as well.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
short:
widen inner hole in head for any P60 led insert ... done

long:
the B90 battery - and thus the good old 8X - is as big as a whole 1*18650 Li-Ion light and, at the same time, stores only about the same power in that big package ...
... it makes no sense anymore

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I like the feel of the tube & endcap button on my 8ax Commander. I'd like to get an LED head & conversion to use an 18650 cell. Seems like there is room for some regulation circuitry in there as well.