Compact Thrower Comparison/Review - EagleTac S200C2 vs. Armytek Predator Pro 2.5

Amelia

Enlightened
Hi again, flashlight people!

I got my Armytec Predator Pro V2.5 in the mail today, and spent 2 hours earlier this afternoon learning about its features and programming it to my needs. I then did other tasks while waiting until it got dark, then took my EagleTac S200C2 and the Predator for a 1 mile walk near the woods. I did this in order to do a detailed side-by-side comparison between the two lights. My intention was to find out which of the two would suit my purposes better as my "headlamp companion" for long night hikes, a role that up until now has been filled by the EagleTac S200C2. Has the Armytek Predator Pro unseated the S200C2 as my "baby throw utensil" of choice? Read on and find out! :)

First impressions:

I really, really like the programmability and customization possible with the Armytek Predator Pro. The programming interface was not as difficult to learn and memorize as I had initially feared - a few hours spent with the light and instructions and I can now pretty much make it do what I want, with maybe a brief reference to the instruction sheet to recall the number of flashes for certain modes, etc. I now have the light set up in a way that works for me, giving me instant access (from off) to moonlight and super-high modes, with no annoying mode memory or blinky modes I'll never use. Perfect! I will never understand why Armytek dropped the programmable interface with their new version 3.0 lights, it seems like a huge step backwards to me. But... I digress! :)

The quality of the Armytek light is fantastic. Heavy, grippy black anodizing that's really nice to look at and hold. Smooth threading on the head and tail switch section. A huge beefy spring and contact for the battery. Sweet crenelated bezel, and nice clear glass over the reflector. All in all, a beautifully built light that screams out quality and durability.

Tint Comparison:

I had a difficult time even finding a Predator Pro 2.5 at a reasonable price, and when I finally did locate one it was available with a cool white emitter only. This was almost a complete deal breaker, until I read the specs more and realized it was a 5500K emitter, not 6000+ like most cool whites. I decided this might be on the outer edge of acceptable for me, as I prefer 4500K-5000K emitter with as "neutral" and untinted a beam as possible. I took a chance, and I'm glad I did! It turns out that the "cool white" of the Armytek is actually a reasonably neutral emitter, there are still hints of the properties of cool white emitters that I dislike, but they are just that - hints. I can see a slight bit of green in the central portion of the beam, but mostly it is a bright yellow-white with a touch of gray-blue lavender in the spill. Acceptable.

The EagleTac S200C2 that, up until now, I've been using in this role is the "neutral white" emitter version. I would say that it is more toward the "warm" end of the spectrum as compared to the true neutral emitters that I prefer, it has a yellowish-brown tinting that I guess I've never really grown fond of... though it is much better than, say, my SRT3 "cool white" emitters or the puke-green emitters of just about everything 10 years ago.

So... the EagleTac is a bit too warm for my tastes, the Armytek is a bit too cool. I'd say the tint comparison between the two lights is pretty much a wash for me, but I do feel that the S200C2 has a tiny edge due to it's better color rendition in vegetation, greens just seem more real and lively in the EagleTac's beam. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a few CRI points higher on the scale than the Armytek, but I have no real evidence either way. The EagleTac beam is, subjectively, a little more "comfortable" to me for long-term viewing, the Armytek cool white beam just seems a bit harsh and jarring after a while, something that most cool white LED emitters (and fluorescent lighting) does to me with prolonged viewing.

Beam Comparison

The Armytek has a "tighter" beam. A slightly smaller hotspot, and about 20% less diameter on the spill beam coverage. For real-world use, in the intended uses I've assigned these lights for, this means absolutely... well... nothing. I found no situation during this evening's walk where one or the other light's beam "tightness" or coverage area made any difference at all. Keep in mind, my purpose for these lights is as a headlamp companion, to see further up the trail or into side canyons or trees. For this usage, both lights worked exceptionally well. I did turn off my headlamp briefly for one part of my hike, and tried walking with both lights, one then the other, as my only illumination source. Neither light was ideal for this usage, but neither really worked better for this than the other one either. In a pinch, either light will work as your only walking light, but I personally prefer something with more flood diameter/brightness and a larger hotspot.

Now for the surprising part:

The EagleTac S200C2 is rated around 1,000 Lumens. The Armytek is rated around 650 lumens. Because of the emitter type differences and reflector differences, however, the ANSI throw rating for the Armytek is actually a little higher than the EagleTac. The ArmyTek accomplishes this with a smaller diameter bezel as well! What does all this mean in real-world use when projecting light out there to see detail at a distance? Nothing. You heard me right - it means absolutely, positively NOTHING in real-world performance. I was looking during almost the entire hike for SOMETHING that one of the lights would allow me to see that the other would not... some shape, detail, shadow, or color at a distance that maybe the other light missed or was not powerful enough to reveal. I searched completely in vain, the two lights are so closely matched in throw and output performance that the ONLY difference I was consistently noticing was the color rendition differences due to the emitter tints. Real-world throw and detail rendition at distance is a wash... don't buy one or the other of these lights thinking that one will somehow be a superior "thrower" for anything other than performance numbers on specifications sheets.

Ergonomics:

This is a real mixed bag. Even though the EagleTac S200C2 has knurling on the barrel, and the Armytek is smooth, the particular anodizing used on the Armytek felt excellently grippy. Like holding a piece of fine grained stone - slate or river pebble. The EagleTac with its deep, beautiful rich shiny black anodizing felt positively slippery by comparison! I never felt like the Armytek would slip out of my grip - ever. Very nice!

The EagleTac, on the otherhand, just feels better to hold. The shape is more streamlined and pleasant to grip, without the sudden "bulge" where the Armytek body meets the head. I also liked the EagleTac's rubber "cigar" grip piece better, it's smaller and less bulky, and fits my fingers better than the Armytek's large lumpy rubber piece. However, I've never really liked the integral pocket clip on the EagleTac S200C2, it always seemed out of place on a not-very-pocketable light, and I've never really liked how it felt in my fingers, making me rotate it to a certain angle so it's not as noticeable to my fingers. The Armytek has a removeable clip that doesn't even come attached to the light out of the package - a much better situation for a light like this in my opinion.

The bezel diameter difference between the two lights is minimal, but somehow it seems to make the perceived size and bulk of the Armytek smaller by an appreciable degree. I took turns putting the EagleTac and ArmyTek (when unused) in my left hand and left pant pocket during the hike, and overall the Armytek just felt smaller and more carryable/pocketable. I was really surprised by this, because I was expecting that the two would probably be about the same level of awkward bulkiness that I had come to expect from the S200C2.

No clear winner when it comes to ergonomics, but if pressed I'll say that I enjoyed carrying the EagleTac in it's "being used" position a little more, but liked everything else (storing, carrying by my side, and just plain holding) the Armytek better. I definitely felt that the Armytek was more "secure" to carry, and less likely to slip out of my hand.

Features:

I love the simple 3-mode, no blinky UI of the EagleTac S200C2.

I love the feature-rich flexibility and power of the Armytek Predator Pro 2.5.

They're both excellent in their own way - but in the long run, I think the Armytek just plain offers more - a LOT more. You can make the UI on the Armytek as simple, or as complex as you want. You can do things with the Armytek (like check the battery level) that the EagleTac can't dream of. You can use unprotectected batteries in the Armytek without worrying about over-discharging them. You can use flat top batteries in the Armytek without needing magnets. I like the crenelated bezel of the Armytek, you can see your mistake if you set the light down after forgetting to turn it off. All around, the Armytek is just a better overall package of features, and most of them seem really well thought out and implemented.

I do like the lanyard attachment and tailcap switch better on the EagleTac though... and the lower quantity of printed graffiti on the EagleTac is always a nice bonus too! :)

Reliability/Durability:

I have no doubt that the Armytek, with its potted electronics and excellent build quality, drop rating, and lack of timed emitter stepdown is probably the more reliable and durable of the two lights. Everything about its fit, finish, construction, and materials seems to indicate serious military-level ruggedness, this is a light I would not have much concern about if I were to drop it or accidentally kick it over the edge of a trail to bounce around on the rocks below. The EagleTac? Not so much. The build quality is there, but the construction of the light says "classy" and "precise" more than it says "tough".

Final thoughts:

This has been a long review/ comparison for me to write. Part of this is because I'm still trying to convince myself that one of these lights is clearly superior to the other in enough ways that I should get rid of the other. When I bought the Armytek Predator Pro 2.5, it was with the very clear goal in my mind of comparing the two, selling the "lesser" of the two lights, then obtaining a spare of the winning light so I'd have a backup in case of loss or damage. I can now see that this is an impossible proposition - there is really no clear winner here. Both lights are truly excellent in their own right, and each has something to offer that the other does not.

I have decided that both lights deserve an honored place in my collection, and rather that sell one and buy a spare of the other, I will rotate them and let them be "spares" to each other. That kind of is, after all, the flashaholic way! :)

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
Brilliant review Amelia! Thanks for the comparison between both lights. Am keen on getting the Eagletac S200C2 now after reading your review.

markr6

Flashaholic
Thanks for comparing both of these!

I LOVE that rubber cigar grip on the S200C2! Perfect along with a forward clicky. I find the tint warmer than all my other neutral whites, but in a good way. Very pleasant tint to use outdoors, which seems to be the only place to use one of these...at least most of the time.

D6859

Enlightened
Thank you for your review! I think you just sold me one Predator Pro v2.5, I've been looking at them on sale in a local online store. I only wish it had the clicky mode change of Regular version :/ But if I bought the regular version, I'd miss all the fun in programming the light!

thomas_sti_red

Newly Enlightened
Thans you for the pleasant review. Nice to also read one now and then that is uncluttered by figures! (Even though I do adore specs and graphs)

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amelia, After you posted this thread:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...rison-of-EagleTac-S200C2-and-Armytek-Predator
I knew it was a matter of time before you'd get a Predator ;). Nice analysis between the two. I can't remember if it was you that said that your EagleTac S200C2 was a perfect companion to your headlamp when out in the woods. That got me thinking since I don't have a turbo head type of light...........maybe I need one too, LOL. Since I don't have any ArmyTek lights, I thought maybe I'd try one of theirs. However I opted for the Viking Pro V3. Should be here in a couple of days. I don't care for the warm tints, the 5500k was perfect for me as the risk with some cool whites is something too blue.

Glad you are liking it.

Amelia

Enlightened
Amelia, After you posted this thread:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...rison-of-EagleTac-S200C2-and-Armytek-Predator
I knew it was a matter of time before you'd get a Predator ;). Nice analysis between the two. I can't remember if it was you that said that your EagleTac S200C2 was a perfect companion to your headlamp when out in the woods. That got me thinking since I don't have a turbo head type of light...........maybe I need one too, LOL. Since I don't have any ArmyTek lights, I thought maybe I'd try one of theirs. However I opted for the Viking Pro V3. Should be here in a couple of days. I don't care for the warm tints, the 5500k was perfect for me as the risk with some cool whites is something too blue.

Glad you are liking it.

Thank you, and thank all the rest of you too for the positive feedback! :)

Yes, it was me who said I liked the S200C2 as a "companion" to my ZL H600Fw headlamp - the two of them make a perfect team for night hiking, one of my favorite activities.

As for your concerns about the Armytek "cool white" emitter being too "blue", rest assured - there is ZERO blue in the beam (at least in mine...). Mostly white/yellow, with just a hint of green... not enough green to even notice if you're not shining it on white paper and looking for it. All in all, a very nice "cool white" tint, tending more toward neutral than the overly blue-green horrors of the past! :)

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice review, Amelia. I had the Predator 2.5 XP-G2 warm for a very short period of time. I thought that the Armytek was exceptionally heavy, as in weighed more than similar lights. This was a problem for me as I was going to mount it on a rifle and every ounce counts in that application. The build quality seemed really good and the unique finish did feel grippy. I sold it right away because of the weight, though.

Amelia

Enlightened
Hey again, all!
Received the "warm" version of the Predator Pro 2.5 yesterday. It was hard to find, but I was able to track one down (Ouch on the price!!!). Anyway, I had a chance to compare it last night to my S200C2 and the Cool White Predator Pro 2.5.

I like the tint of the "warm" Predator Pro better than the cool white version. It has a tint that is very similar to my S200C2 Neutral White tint, in fact I could see very little difference between them when comparing side by side. The S200C2 might be just a touch warmer, but no more than a few hundred Deg. K if it is. Anyway, it's still too warm for my preference, I think if you "split the difference" between the Cool White and Warm Predator Pro emitters, it would be perfect for my tastes.

The warmer color, surprisingly, didn't seem to have any effect on throw distance, at least not that I could see. However, there was one interesting effect I noticed - the air was "hazy" and slightly misty last night, not enough to keep me from seeing well into the distance, but noticeable. The Cool White predator really "lit it up" and reflected sort of glowingly off the haze in the air, making it a little more difficult to really focus on things at a distance. The "Warm" Predator Pro cut through better and didn't reflect off the haze or particles or whatever as much - it was the CLEARLY superior light for those kind of air conditions.

I think I'll end up using the "Warm" Predator Pro a lot more than the cool white one, I'm glad I took the time and spent the money to track it down! :)

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where would you say the color temperature of all three of those lights is at? I got an ArmyTek Viking Pro V3 that is suppose to be 5500k and in my opinion its well over 6000k. It's no different than anyone else's cool white. In fact my Fenix PD35 is just slightly more neutral than the Viking. So I was a little disappointed when I got it thinking that it was going to be more neutral than typical cool white lights.

Amelia

Enlightened
Where would you say the color temperature of all three of those lights is at? I got an ArmyTek Viking Pro V3 that is suppose to be 5500k and in my opinion its well over 6000k. It's no different than anyone else's cool white. In fact my Fenix PD35 is just slightly more neutral than the Viking. So I was a little disappointed when I got it thinking that it was going to be more neutral than typical cool white lights.

This is just a guess, based on my other lights and their temp. ratings, and my own experience over the years figuring out "what's what" with temperature. I'd say my Predator Pro Cool White is right around 6000K, maybe just a touch warmer. My S200C2 and Predator Pro Warm are both somewere around 4000K, with the S200C2 being closer to 3500K maybe. The cool white Predator Pro goes just a little too far into the "cool" end for my tastes, the other 2 are too warm - but I've always preferred warm tints over cool if forced to choose (but for me, neutral is the best!). I've figured out at this point that somewhere around 5000K is my personal ideal emitter temp, too bad so few lights are available in that temp. range.

One other thing to keep in mind - the Predator Pro and Viking Pro use different emitters (XP in the Predator, XM in the Viking), so there is probably some temperature shift/difference between the different emitter types.

Last edited:

Amelia

Enlightened
PICS! Excellent review!

Thanks!
I do all my posting here from my phone, not even sure how to do pictures from it. Sorry. :(

I'm an outdoorswoman and light nut, but not much of a techie. I can probably eventually learn though... :)

Last edited: