Fuel gauges and PCBs (from a noob)

AloneInTheMurk

Newly Enlightened
Hi all

Been reading intensely for the last few weeks and now am on the point of ordering components, but need your help.

My aim is to make a 3S3P pack (18650s Li-Ion) for a floundering light (20W), which by my calculations should pull 1.8A. It will have PCB, balancing leads and probably bad soldering.

I'd really like to add a simple LED fuel gauge. Regrettably, I see only two options: a) buy a PCB with the gauge lights built in, or b) buy a PCB that supports a gauge to plug in.

Why do I say, "regrettably"? A quick browse of the excellent BatterySpace catalogue shows both these items. Well, its because I live outside the US (Australia) and the postage options on BatterySpace are just too far outside my project budget.

(Seriously, anyone know their rationale for those rates?)

So, I can find boards that are designed for Arduinos, for >20A applications, or - conveniently - perfect PCBs available in orders of 10,000 units. I may be using the wrong keywords, but Aliexpress, BatteryJunction, HobbyKing are not yielding a great deal of joy. Any suggestions?

Conversely, there must be some way (I think) of wiring in a simple gauge with the PCB? Would I piggyback the gauge off the B+ and B- of the PCB? Off the P+/- leads? Or is that going to lead to confusion of the PCB function?

(A "simple gauge" for me is like this http://www.batteryspace.com/fuelgaugeforpcbof111vli-ionbatterypack1.aspx)

Ideas, thoughts, correction and brilliant solutions all welcome.

Cheers

Murk.