what do I have...

dimmer80

Newly Enlightened
I bought a maglite from a thrift shop about 6 months ago. it looks to be a 6 d cell light, but there is no serial number engraved on it. It is black and around the top it says " MAG-LITE MAG INSTRUMENT - ONTARIO, CALIFORNIA, USA. I am trying to find out I'd I can led upgrade it. I can post pics if needed.

David18t

Newly Enlightened
The serial number on my Mags is located near the switch, but is hard to see (no white lettering) look closely at this area. Otherwise may be a Mag head and aftermarket tube. Hope this helps a little.

dimmer80

Newly Enlightened
The serial number on my Mags is located near the switch, but is hard to see (no white lettering) look closely at this area. Otherwise may be a Mag head and aftermarket tube. Hope this helps a little.

yea I have looked all around the tube and nothing. only thing I see it on the bulb it says "6 cell" and the plastic cone that goes over the bulb is blue on the back side, and chrome on the other. other than what I've said no serial num?? mabey your right a aftermarket tube is being used but looks factory.

David18t

Newly Enlightened
Hopefully someone with a six cell can chime in, mine are 2 and 3 cell models. Mine are about 10 years old.

David18t

Newly Enlightened
Your description of the business end of your light sounds spot on. Malkoff makes great led drop ins that fit the six cell. They require a trim of the cone, or you can order a pre trimmed one from them. Great upgrade IMHO.