• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: PR-T-N build to suit *SOLD*

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

I want to try something different and hope it doesn't get too confusing! I have 5 ea. PR-T heads in HA natural that have TX1K emitters mounted in them. The driver and E-can has not been assembled yet. I can turn these around in less than 2 days, once I know what is required. I am offering these with a designation of A,B,C,D and E . You can choose to either have a BadBoy boost circuit or a Down Boy step down circuit. What I am NOT inviting is an E-mail dialogue of what do *I* think and what do *YOU* think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

For current level choices (BB or DB) I would like to limit them to 400, 500, 611, 700, 750 or 917.

If you want one of these, please make a claim here and pick the first available letter. Please send me an E-mail with PR-T and the "letter" in the subject line and in the body of the E-mail please provide your real name and mailing address as well as your CPF name. If you know for certain your driver choice at the moment, by all means state it as well. If you want help deciding on what level and type of driver you want, please review existing threads discussing such considerations as well as Roy's run time charts. You can also ask for opinions on this thread and I welcome comments from other users as well.

Please no PayPal until we know that I was successful in making the bloddy head for you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

These will go for $115 ea. and this includes priority or global priority mail shipping.

Thanks for looking!

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS: PR-T-N build to suit heads

Mailed to Don to order PR-T-A, in the meantime LitFuse posted his claim for this one, so let me take PR-T-B.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

LitFuse,

OK, you got it.

Everyone,

I will presume that you know what your are ordering and the proper applications of the drivers and the current levels chosen. For instance in the use of CR123 cells, the Bad Boys are to be used with a 1x123 host and the Down Boys are to be used with 2x123,3x123 and 4x123 hosts. If other cells are planned, please make certain that you have chosen a viable combination.

joker354

Newly Enlightened

I wanna get it with the BB for use with a E1E, but not sure what current level I should choose. Anyone care to comment?

Thanks - Eric.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd be interested in opinions on this also. I noticed that the other batch Don did were all @ 611. I thought I'd go to 700, but if I go 700, why no go to 750? Or maybe I should figure that there's a reason Don did all the others @ 611? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Where's the best "bang for the buck"?

Peter

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don,

Where can I find Roy's run time charts?

snuffy

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
icarus said:
Don,

Where can I find Roy's run time charts?

[/ QUOTE ] Here they are

Charts

Darell

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
joker354 said:
I wanna get it with the BB for use with a E1E, but not sure what current level I should choose. Anyone care to comment?

Thanks - Eric.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, since Don doesn't want to deal with this, I'll give my my quick take:
Your best brightness bang-for-your-battery is certainly 400mA. Going up makes small increases in brightness and large decreases in runtime. Optimize for runtime or for brightness, or simply choose something in-between.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

From possibly "suspect" bench testing that I have done with a single 123 cell and the BadBoy, I am of the opinion that setting the current level beyond 600 mA might give you an initial brighter beam but that within a minute, you will drop down to 600 mA. I started a thread asking just how much we can get from a single 123 and frankly, aside from some good discussion regarding other drivers that aren't available, if possible, I still don't have a handle on this! Regardless, the consensus on the BadBoy which is what I am using is that there is likely a "ceiling". It may well be that a BadBoy 500 is the best choice for a single 123 cell.

I have been using a PR-T with dual levels of output the last couple days and nights and it has been very enlightening. The LED is either driven at 70 mA or 917 mA. Up to 10 feet, I prefer the low level and this is a relatively LOW level! Certainly when I want to hit a target across the street or a few houses down, I use the 917. The difference between 400 mA and 917 mA is not that great unless you are approaching the limits of reach of the lights. When you are working well within range, a doubling in the current does not make the target twice as easy to see. It doesn't even make it a third easier to see. There is just as much useable information returned from the target from the lower level light as the higher level light. Since I am going off on a tangent here, may I suggest that one must really consider the application to determine the appropriate tool! These are portable illumination tools. If the light at hand is not sufficient to illuminate the target, can it be moved closer to the target?? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

For 2x123, I think the 917 is great as you still get reasonable runtime and max brightness. If runtime is something important, a 700 is probably a smarter way to go since you gain more in longer runs than you loose in diminished brightness, IMHO. On a single 123, I have serious doubts that there is any gain going beyond 611 and have a strong suspicion that there might be losses.

I have offered these as a build to suit so that you guys are not victims of my opinions but can choose based on your own ideas or thoughts.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Yeah,

Well I bet I started looking for the right keys to push first! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Hi guys,

This is off on a bit of a rocky start. I haven't received an E-mail from icarus yet and no worries on the current levels but as I read it currently, I am waiting for these decisions to be made. No problem but please E-mail me with the converter specs when you have decided. You can post the info here as well for back up as well as potential redicule ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ) but I will go by the information I receive by E-mail for the actual build.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks alot Don! I would like to revise my request for "A" from BB @ 700, to BB @ 611. I will edit my original post and also confirm by email.

Peter

Darell

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:
Thanks alot Don! I would like to revise my request for "A" from BB @ 700, to BB @ 611. I will edit my original post and also confirm by email.

[/ QUOTE ]
Scaredy-cat! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(just how DO you spell "scaredy?"

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Scaredy-cat! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(just how DO you spell "scaredy?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know.... I always preferred "Fraidy-cat". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm not actually afraid of the extra 89 mA's though, just looking for the best compromise. I'm wondering if I should have got a DB 917 for use with the bare Li-ions instead. I sure do love those "free" lumens.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh well, maybe next time.

Peter

Latest posts