TN12 NW mini review

prnguinpoo

Newly Enlightened
So, another night out with the wife on voluntary cat rescue (well animal rescue but its mostly cats with the very rare hedge hog and once there was a bird)....

seeing as i tag a long my job is to drive, supply illumination and tell my wife "the cat will be OK dear"

The TN12 is a stonker of a light, puts out a great beam, cant belive i used to do this job with a keyring photon light. more light the better!!!

side switch is perfect, easy to find, nice quality and definate click with ZERO squeshiness to it. spot on!

tail switch is equally as good

hot apot and spill are also perfect, knurling is also very good.

pockt clip is pretty good. not so refined around the edges, but i loke it.

sorry for the spelling, ryping on my phone while wife is hunting a cat.

time to go!

feel free to ask specific questions! oh i got the u1 charger and 3400mah thrunite combo thing, also great

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might consider posting from the computer,the phone messes with your
ryping!

prnguinpoo

Newly Enlightened
but as this my first 1k lumen light
.... its great but youll need more lumens and throw if working with animals in the great outdoors.

sent from the field

prnguinpoo

Newly Enlightened
but as this my first 1k lumen light
.... its great but youll need more lumens and throw if working with animals in the great outdoors.

sent from the field

BUT i dont want undervalue this light, it is great, i love the TN12, highly recommended as a 1 18650 light. i wont be ahopping around fkr a single 1 x 18650 anymore....this is the best they come

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
had the CW TN12 2014 for awhile and just ordered the NW version as Ive found the difference between Thrunites cool white and neutral white to be quite striking in my 2 TN4A's. Pics? Heck yes the TN12 2014 is one stonking light! For what you do though Id also advise spending another paltry $50 on the NW TN4A as its another 1000 lumen light yet out throws the TN12 3 to 1 and you already have a charger that will work with Eneloop Pros...

prnguinpoo

Newly Enlightened
had the CW TN12 2014 for awhile and just ordered the NW version as Ive found the difference between Thrunites cool white and neutral white to be quite striking in my 2 TN4A's. Pics? Heck yes the TN12 2014 is one stonking light! For what you do though Id also advise spending another paltry $50 on the NW TN4A as its another 1000 lumen light yet out throws the TN12 3 to 1 and you already have a charger that will work with Eneloop Pros...

Yes, the TN4A was an option, went with an 18650 for charging ease - I think with NiMH, you have to drain the battery completely first, but with LiON you can top up? Also, being voluntary work, not much budget is provided for illumination (Ironically, as Animal work is mostly at night, when the Animals are up and about).

Yeah I noticed the difference in NW & CW, as once we were looking for a particular cat (my Wife's favourite), and with the CW, we 'found it' a few times, only to realise the colour rendition was so poor we got the wrong one. Then I switched to NW, and instantly was better. Not that it took long to find the cat, as it runs up to us when were around.

Also found NW better for blood stains and things like that (good when checking out a furry animal, saves it a stressful trip to the vets)

I CANNOTbelieve we used to do this with a Photon keying light!!!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
No you do not have to drain Eneloops first you can use them straight out of the package until you need to charge them. Most people like myself charge my NiMH's and Li-ion's as soon as we get them. Doesnt matter either way. That is some interesting and admirable work you do! Color rendition really matters! Since youre on a budget Thrunite is truly the way to go. What you get with both the TN12 and TN4A for a mere $50 is nothing short of astonishing. I am VERY excited to get my NW TN12 in the mail tomorrow! Already have a 3400mah Fenix 18650 charged and ready to go.

I just looked at the charger/3400mah package you got and unfortunately it is only for 18650's. I am such a big believer in the TN4A that I would just straight up give you my old Nitecore d4 digicharger for free so you could charge NiMHs for the light. I just got a new Xtar VC4 anyways so Im good there. If I did what you do I would totally try to find the extra $50 in the budget for a new NW TN4A and an 8 pack of Duracell Ion Core NiMHs(they are re branded Eneloops). The combination of the TN12 and TN4A would cover just about all your night time animal rescue needs. Good luck and Ill post what I think of my new NW TN12 tomorrow

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
Great post prnguin. TN4A is definitely a great choice as it offers the option of NW and it definitely out-throw the TN12, so you will have a good combination of flooder (TN12) and thrower(TN4A). Great job on the animal work by the way and enjoy using your lights :)

prnguinpoo

Newly Enlightened
I just looked at the charger/3400mah package you got and unfortunately it is only for

Thanks for the support guys!

Dont know if I miss understood you, but you can use this charger for NiMH's too. It also has a powerbank feature (so you can charge your phone or other USB device). Of course, its only a single cell charger, imagine trying to charge 4 Eneloops, or 4 Eneloop pro's!

Yes, at some point we do need a 2nd light. I am using Thrunite simply because the price is very good especially with what you get.

prnguinpoo

Newly Enlightened
Great job on the animal work by the way and enjoy using your lights :)

Thanks! My wife was the one that got us into it originally, I tagged along as we do all things together (plus I love animals anyway). Naturally led to LEDs (pun intended!). We do it a few nights a week (as most animals are night creatures, its has to be done at nights). We can only do it a few nights as its long work and would leave us exhausted else, plus is voluntary - although local government helps, they provide veterinary services, and can lend certain equipment. We really enjoy it!