Which convoy s2+ chip for 1400MAH?

conanthewarrior

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, hope your OK. I ended up ordering the convoy S2+, didn't realise it had the 2100MAH chip though, no big problem for me though, just if I need a spare for my mum or something, what is the model number I want? The one I got was the convoy S2+ Cree XML U2-1B 7135x 6 8, which might as well be chinese to me lol.

Which version do I go for if I want it driven lower at 1400MAH? I am guessing the 2100MAH will be brighter but sacrifice battery? I guess I will use half power mode a lot, I looked at some videos and that looks more than enough.
[h=1][/h]

Poppy

Flashaholic
conan,
I don't know what you got, because the S2+ comes with an XM-L2 emitter, but you listed an XML emitter.

U2 is the bin number. U3 is the brightest bin, followed by U2 as the next brightest; either only has a cool white tint.
the 1B is the tint.
Check out the chromaticity chart

each 7135 chip will drive the emitter 350ma, therefore 7135x6 is 2100ma

for 1400ma you need 7135x4

conanthewarrior

Newly Enlightened
Hmm I am very confused now, It definitely looks like the S2+, is there anyway of me checking when I get it which emitter its got?

EDIT: I Double checked the full description, it comes with a Emitter Type: XM-L U2. All the s2+ from that seller are listed as such, so I guess they made an error.

Last edited:

PapaLumen

Enlightened
Show us a pic of the emitter. The xm-l2 emitter is on a silver base, the xm-l is on a green base. Either way, not a lot in it.
As mentioned for 1400ma (not mah , thats a measurement of capacity) you want the one with 4x7135.

conanthewarrior

Newly Enlightened
Show us a pic of the emitter. The xm-l2 emitter is on a silver base, the xm-l is on a green base. Either way, not a lot in it.
As mentioned for 1400ma (not mah , thats a measurement of capacity) you want the one with 4x7135.

Thanks, I wll remember that If I do order another, as I ordered the one with 6 instead of 4, so get 2100MAH. Do they make the Convoy s2+ with the older emitter? I thought that was one of the improvements of the S2+.

Poppy

Flashaholic

Conan,
I don't know either.
From Banggood:
The difference between Convoy S2+ and Convoy S2:
1.The tail change to U shape.
2.The circuit storehouse is Extended.
3.Light cup is shorter, but more floodlight.

------------------------------------
However, I also thought that one of the main differences is that the S2+ has an XM-L2 emitter, (Not the XML).

At any rate... coming from junk lights, you will be very pleased with the convoy.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The difference in output between a XM-L & XM-L2 might be negligible so I won't worry too much if i were you.
And just have both the S2 & S2+, both are great host for the price

conanthewarrior

Newly Enlightened
I hope they just mis printed it as an XML instead of XML2, I am worried I will be getting the older insides now lol

Last edited:

conanthewarrior

Newly Enlightened
Reading the posts saying not to worry and the XML is good anyway makes me feel better, and that it will still be a step up compared to what I use. It has been shipped yesterday and left them, wonder how long it will take to get here now in the UK?

PapaLumen

Enlightened
Driven at the rates you mention, 1400ma and 2100ma You most likely wouldn't even notice the difference between xm-l and xm-l2. It's a cheap light with either led.
If you want the brightest one then 8x7135 for 2800ma - http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_44147.html It has modes so you don't have to run it full brightness.
The 940 lumens mentioned on the 2100ma one is wrong. Probably around 5-600.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Driven at the rates you mention, 1400ma and 2100ma You most likely wouldn't even notice the difference between xm-l and xm-l2. It's a cheap light with either led.
If you want the brightest one then 8x7135 for 2800ma - http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_44147.html It has modes so you don't have to run it full brightness.
The 940 lumens mentioned on the 2100ma one is wrong. Probably around 5-600.

Yeah 940 lumens is wrong, the Cree data sheet for the XM-L2 puts the U2 @ 728 lumens @ 2000ma and about 750 lumens at 2100ma. That's emitter lumens, out the front would be less.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fasttech lists the S2+ at 490 lumens for the 1400 mA version. Sounds about right to me, for out-the-front numbers.

I had a 2800 mA version, and I recently gave it away, and ordered the 1400 mA version. In real world use, you are giving up very little, while greatly extending battery life and usability. (The hard-driven version gets hot extremely quickly on high, and quite warm even on medium.)

You made a good choice!

Last edited: