How to remove corroded stuck alkaline? Fenix LD20

AmericanEDC

Newly Enlightened
That's Fenix LD20

So I've got a stuck alkaline in a decent flashlight. Any ideas on getting this out? I tried soaking some vinegar with 0 results.

Next I thought drill bit....then thought better of it. Anyone ever successfully come back from something like this?

All suggestions welcome and appreciated. I'm short on posts but have lurked here quite a bit. I'm about to "step up" my game with something in titanium. Maybe the Thrunite Ti but various models have me still researching.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Re: How to remove corroded stuck alkaline? Felix LD20

McNair says you're full of crap, alkalines don't leak.

:D

If vinegar isn't working, some had had success with coke (The soda), and with baking soda and water.

Taking off both ends of the tube, and using a drift/dowel, etc, to drive it out typically works AFTER trying to remove as much corrosion as possible.

You'll probably end up needing to replace the guts of the light, if too corroded.

Oh, and don't use alkaleaks....they can ruin your lights.

:dedhorse:

rb765

Newly Enlightened

That looks like a Duracell. Try contacting them. They may just reimburse you for a new light.

Amelia

Enlightened

Consider "removing" alkaleaks from your life completely. :)

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi AmericanEDC, I had an issue with one of my favorite lights-I contacted the battery company and the asked me NOT to try and remove it.They stated the best chance for a successful removal and salvage of the light was to send the entire light/ including lodged light. I balked a little because it was a hi CRI light & I did not see the point in sending in the head of the light since the battery was stuck in the body tube. He replied that not many people were aware that there is actually a department who's job is to remove stuck batteries and that they often worked hand in hand with many manufactures. He promised if my light could not be repaired it would be replaced with a new product, including the same tint. When I pointed out this light was no longer made, he said "believe it or not, we can mod a light as good as anyone-from the engineer down to the guy soldering in place. I was asked by them not to divulge the company name and conversations other than to let people know they made good on their promise. Long story longer, I received my original light, with a few marks from acid corrosion that was removed(so I could tell it was my original light, with the original head also returned and an 8 pack of batteries). Moral of the story: call the battery company first...

AmericanEDC

Newly Enlightened

Very cool responses everyone. Yeah. Last of the alkalines. I'm researching a major upgrade to my keychain and EDC.

I'm calling the battery company in the morning!!!

Rider57

Newly Enlightened

I had 2 D cell alkies stuck in a forgotten maglite once, not wanting to send it in i removed the tail cap and head and simply hammered them out with a woden dowel. I then cleaned the battery tube of all corrosion, soaked everything else in a bath of water and baking soda. All parts connected to the positive end of a car battery and the negative end connected to a stainless steel rod. Cleaned everything right off (common method for removing rust/corrosion from intricate parts)

Light still works till this day, it isnt used... Not with my new nitecore mh20 around.... but still works