Electric side switch idea

prnguinpoo

Newly Enlightened
Out and about, and i figured it would be good to back track thru modes...

So for example, i have the tn12 .... and i have it at 20 lumens looking at a cat, i flick to 280 to help my wife with another animal nearby... now i want to GO BACK to 20, i have to cover the torch with my hand count a few clicks then i know i am there....

Better idea: long press of >600ms (0.6second) would cycle back, ie take u to 20 from 280. Yeah u would have to ditch the strobe, but thats a small price to pay.

Would be good., anyone else agree?

prnguinpoo

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for spelling and using 'u', im on a mobile device, just typing this as it came to my mind

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Programmable operation: assigning any modes to 2 or more fast clicks...
I like that for perhaps 2 modes in a 5 mode light.
For a tactical light, I've been thinking about half press = strobe, full press = max, double full press = a lower mode for general use; no memory so always goes to strobe or max. Sounds like something that has been implemented though.

prnguinpoo

Newly Enlightened
Programmable operation: assigning any modes to 2 or more fast clicks...
I like that for perhaps 2 modes in a 5 mode light.
For a tactical light, I've been thinking about half press = strobe, full press = max, double full press = a lower mode for general use; no memory so always goes to strobe or max. Sounds like something that has been implemented though.

Yeah sounds good,

I was thinking that normal quick clicks cyles ff-low-med-hi like it does at the moment, and longer presses cycles in reverse

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
If programmable lights ever become more commonplace, with a tail switch and an electronic switch, there'd be many possibilities.

markr6

Flashaholic
I can't stand cycling thru on my PD32UEs. So, they hardly get used because of that.

This probably sounds like a lot of clicking, but what about a 3-mode light that goes:

1 click: low
2 clicks: medium
3 clicks: high

Same amount of clicks from on in any mode to chagge (1 for low, 2 for medium, 3 for high).

To turn off, hold for >.5seconds

I guess it would be annoying if you used high a lot, but it's a simple, guaranted way to get the mode you want. No ramping, holding and waiting, or turning the head.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like original poster is looking for something like the UI on the DQG Tiny III.

single click from off: low
double click from off: medium
triple click from off: high
double-click from on: advance to next mode
Click and hold from on: turbo for 1 minute, after which ramps down to last mode used.
Single-click from turbo: return to last mode used.
Single-click from on (non-turbo): off.

With this interface you can be at your choice of low, med or high. You have a shortcut to get to turbo (click and hold), and can then return to last mode used with a single click.

Only thing I didn't like about this interface is it lacked a shortcut from off to turbo. They should've made a long click from off also go to turbo.

holygeez03

Enlightened
Toggling back and forth between two modes is VERY useful for some applications... I have a few lights that let me do this and I mainly use them for spotting stuff in my backyard... especially to see what my dog is getting into... I use a low mode to keep an eye on him, and occasionally need a full blast to see at a distance briefly, then immediately back to low.

My Eagtac MX25L3 and Nitecore EA40 UI let me do this with their switches, but one of the modes is always High.... this works for me most of the time.

My Quark Tactical lets me program two modes... one for "loose" head and one for "tight" head... that's one of the biggest reasons my Quark still gets a lot of use... as well as the nice momentary switch.

I have several ZL's and fully appreciate the UI, but it would be nice to pick two modes and be able to toggle back and forth... You can sort of do this with double-clicks between H1/H2 or M1/M2, but if you do it too many times, you enter programming mode!

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some modifications to the magnetic ring UI might be even better.
When turning the ring at normal speed, the light ramps immediately and continuously, but when it's needed to skip modes to jump to another mode, twist the ring quickly. The light senses the quick twist and does not ramp but come on at the desire mode as soon as the ring stops. Does the HDS or any other continuously variable lights do this?

Some more silly ideas: voice level mode activation. TURBO! moonlight
Pressure activation against a pressure switch: press hard for high modes, and light touches for low modes

markr6

Flashaholic
My Eagtac MX25L3 and Nitecore EA40 UI let me do this with their switches, but one of the modes is always High.... this works for me most of the time.

I've been liking that on my MX25L3! Set it to medium or high, and use the press&hold for momentary turbo.

I still want a rocker type switch like you see on a variable speed Dremel or a wheel on a computer mouse. Instant access to whatever mode.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore PD lights were somewhat close to what you describe. Once on you double click and hold for turbo or a quick double click for low/moonlight. Then if you want a "medium" range of 20-40 lumens you press and hold from either turbo or the moonlight and it will quickly ramp there.

I use mine this way all the time. I usually leave mine at medium and then am a quick double click or double click/hold away from either low or turbo. Then if I need medium again I just press and hold and I'm at a medium brightness in about 1-1.5 seconds. Pretty fascinating and very easy to use.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Momentary max from ON is my favorite UI feature. From any lower mode in use, momentarily press (and/or hold) for Max, and then release returns to the previously used lower mode - works just like car high beam flashers. I use this regularly on my Quark Pros and HDS, but Surefire's two-stage clickies and Peak QTCs with momentary should also be good at it.

markr6

Flashaholic
Momentary max from ON is my favorite UI feature. From any lower mode in use, momentarily press (and/or hold) for Max, and then release returns to the previously used lower mode - works just like car high beam flashers. I use this regularly on my Quark Pros and HDS, but Surefire's two-stage clickies and Peak QTCs with momentary should also be good at it.

I also like that havint to hold it down keeps you in line...not constantly burning on turbo and killing the battery when you don't really need it (I'm guilty!!)

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
As an addition to this thread would it be possible for an electronic switch to integrate infinite ramping similar to a magnetic ring light or the Nitecore PD lights? My idea is you just press and hold the electronic switch and it could ramp in brightness, is this possible with electronic switches or clicky switches?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
As an addition to this thread would it be possible for an electronic switch to integrate infinite ramping similar to a magnetic ring light or the Nitecore PD lights? My idea is you just press and hold the electronic switch and it could ramp in brightness, is this possible with electronic switches or clicky switches?

Some lights have had that feature years ago.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder why they didn't stick around? Did the UI not work very well or just weren't very popular?

Phlogiston

Enlightened
I really like prnguinpoo's idea of quick click advancing to the next mode, long press falling back to the previous mode. It would be awesome if my Fenix UC35 did that, and I'd delightedly ditch the strobe in exchange.