How to use a flashflight

prnguinpoo

Newly Enlightened
Surefire did some flashlight training years ago, dont know if they still do. Point is, good to share tips.

What i remember was, never look at the hotspot, kills your vision and gives you tunnel vision. (for long range yes you need to use the hotspot of course).

Any other items to go in here?

R.W.D.

Enlightened
I had some guy run up at me one night and I shined my fury in his face and yelled freaze! He turned and ran which worked for me even though that night I wasnt carrying.

LowFlux

Enlightened
Insert batteries, paying attention to which side is positive and negative
Depress switch, then either twist head or press switch until adequate brightness level is achieved
Hold light in hand, under arm-pit, or in a pinch you can use your mouth but you might want to use your lips between the light and your teeth as a cushion unless you want chipped teeth
Turn light off when task is complete or you are somewhere that no longer requires the use of a light

Glad to help!

PS - don't look into the business end or shine into other people's eyes

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Insert batteries, paying attention to which side is positive and negative
Depress switch, then either twist head or press switch until adequate brightness level is achieved
Hold light in hand, under arm-pit, or in a pinch you can use your mouth but you might want to use your lips between the light and your teeth as a cushion unless you want chipped teeth
Turn light off when task is complete or you are somewhere that no longer requires the use of a light

Glad to help!

PS - don't look into the business end or shine into other people's eyes
Instructions unclear, batteries fall out, have left over pieces.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
For holding a light with your teeth, wrap a few layers of electrical tape around the tail first.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
18585404480_dc875c6ffa_c.jpg

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
This might be what you are looking for, From surefire LLC

Content removed. CPF Rule 5. Please do not copy an entire quote from a web site.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

D6859

Enlightened
For holding a light with your teeth, wrap a few layers of electrical tape around the tail first.

Batteries not falling out anymore, but still have left over pieces!

Seriously talking, there's a thread "Tips for effective flashlight use" started by selfbuilt. And if you're interested in flashlight use in self defense, there's a Youtube video "Flashlight As Part Of Your Best Defense" that covers both armed and unarmed self defense. You can find a lot more videos by searching "flashlight defense".

Last edited:

N/Apower

Enlightened
Flash and move.
Always seek depth in the room (hard corners, etc.)
Always use the light from off cover. Do NOT let the beam hit cover between you and the perp, especially right in front if you such as a door frame, etc. or you WILL be lit with the splash, and the effect will be much poorer downrange.
More LUX can be used to over-power being blinded by another light. For example, if someone hits you with 300 lumens and 6K LUX, and you hit them with 500 lumens and 10K LUX, you will be able to engage them more effectively.
Lights tend to attract bullets. Plan/use accordingly.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shining a light sideways along the floor makes it easy to find small dropped items.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
RE: Surefire training
Surefire military contracts are ending in a few months. I doubt they will be doing many more training classes. Unless it is for LEOs? SF is letting staff go and cutting some of the product line. No wars = no cool military inspired lights. Which in the big picture is actually ok with me. But, I will miss my lights. :)

Latest posts