Quark Click "Custom" modes

markr6

Flashaholic
I thought about getting back into more AA lights and the Quark Click QK2A caught my eye.

For an extra $10, you can choose from the following outputs in any order you want. I thought this was pretty cool. More manufacturers should do this!

Moonlight: 0.2 lumens, 30 daysLow: 5 lumens, 5 days
Medium: 26 lumens, 24 hrs
Maximum: 246 lumens, 1.3 hrs
Strobe: 246 lumens, 2.5 hrs
SOS: 246 lumens, 4 hrs
Beacon: 0-246 lumen pulse, 18 hrs

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Meh. I'm not that impressed with this replacement model for the old Quarks. It sounds like the old Quark Tactical, but you have to pay 4sevens if you want to change the two programmed modes. I don't understand why they dumped the programming of the tactical interface. That wasn't part of the Surefire lawsuit.

Maybe they couldn't figure out a way to do programming without the twist head functionality (which was part of the lawsuit), although I'm pretty sure I could come up with a better way than "pay us $10 to set it up for you".

On my Quark Tactical, I tend to switch the two programmed modes every couple of months. I'd hate to be stuck with 2 and only 2.

I get why they don't offer a Quark Pro interface (all modes), because that would be too many without a twist head. I was hoping they'd just dump the blinkies and give us the 5 regular modes to cycle through via clicks. Maybe you can pay an extra $10 for that.

Worst part... only cool white! :scowl:

P.S. I see they've also dropped the "high" mode in the 2AA version, my most frequently used mode in all my Quarks. What's up with that? Now there's a huge jump between medium (28 lumens) to max (336 lumens). And a huge difference in corresponding run time.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I never owned the old version, so I guess I wouldn't be missing anything but it does sound better in a way. And yes, that cool while is a killer but I'm still tempted. They always came close to selling me but that always turned me off.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Quark Click "Custom" modes

What are the levels set at for retail package lights?
I've bought a few 4/7 and my Quark local to me.

This is where I think this is a blemish, two levels set,
and up against others on the same shelf that can do multi level and you can change at will.
That'll be good for the other guys IMO.

Edit, I missed that it's 28-330 ish?
Good grief, blinding an eats batteries?

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Re: Quark Click "Custom" modes

Meh.... I do like my 4/7 flashlights so no need to downgrade. Yes this is a downgrade sorry to say. What's really strange is the lack of single battery types in this new line. Maybe they will come out with a 1xAA or 1XCR123 still like everything about this it's kinda odd. Granted they will work with old Quark bodies but that adds to the cost. I do hope they sell just the same.

Last edited:

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Meh.
P.S. I see they've also dropped the "high" mode in the 2AA version, my most frequently used mode in all my Quarks. What's up with that? Now there's a huge jump between medium (28 lumens) to max (336 lumens). And a huge difference in corresponding run time.

This is the bit that burns me too... Removing "High" mode from the options list just doesn't make any sense, -- especially since many potential buyers (myself included) would be paying for the 'customization' option. So why limit the available choices and versatility? Without "High", the resulting mode spacing reminds me of Thrunite. :scowl:

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mode Memory kinda kills it too. So I turn it off on Max and I forget the next night and blind myself and wake up the baby. Not going to work. Oh well.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, 4sevens has had a lot of misses the past year or so, especially if you're a flashaholic. Weird bolt-action lights with CR2 batteries. Special edition brass lights that lack a clip (and no neutral option for a light that costs 2x the regular price!). The whole Quark lawsuit, and then a replacement that fails at all the stuff that made the original Quarks so great. Falling behind in innovation and output.

I know they don't care about the flashaholic market and aim their sales at the general population instead. Perhaps they're doing well there. It seems to me that what made them a great company in the past was that they did care about details that flashaholics find important. That innovation and attention to detail also made their lights great for the overall market.

Now, I wonder what their future holds, since they seem to have given up on their roots. Are they just going to ride it out like M@glight, until they're no better than cheap Chinese lights?

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, 4sevens has had a lot of misses the past year or so, especially if you're a flashaholic. Weird bolt-action lights with CR2 batteries. Special edition brass lights that lack a clip (and no neutral option for a light that costs 2x the regular price!). The whole Quark lawsuit, and then a replacement that fails at all the stuff that made the original Quarks so great. Falling behind in innovation and output.

I know they don't care about the flashaholic market and aim their sales at the general population instead. Perhaps they're doing well there. It seems to me that what made them a great company in the past was that they did care about details that flashaholics find important. That innovation and attention to detail also made their lights great for the overall market.

Now, I wonder what their future holds, since they seem to have given up on their roots. Are they just going to ride it out like M@glight, until they're no better than cheap Chinese lights?

Yeah, I'm not sure either. Used to be at the edge of my chair watching their every awesome move. Now I watch while hanging onto a thread of hope that they will make some sort of come back. Almost gone from my radar unfortunately. I had so many of their lights in the past.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
:( First Armytek, now Foursevens.:mecry: I was so excited to grab the new lineup. Now, I guess I'll just buy accessories for the Quarks I like. Darn.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
so how does the ui work in detail?

full click to turn on. then tap to switch between the 2 modes?

forward tactical switch,half press for morse code signaling without mode switching?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UI is based on time off. <0.3 sec off, it switches modes, >0.3 sec off it's mode memory/momentary. It doesn't matter how long the light is on.

When coming from a memorized mode, a mode switch will revert back to mode1 and then scroll up though the sequence and continuously loop, but once locked into memory, via >0.3 sec off, then the next mode switch it revert back to mode1. As a two mode, you just alternate on any mode switch.

You can do a sloowwww morse code on the same output as long as all off periods are > 0.3 sec, but this is not a good UI for morse. I would also not recommend it for true tactical use. It will do the flash and dash, but if you slightly fumble on the switch you could change modes.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks reppans, very clear and detailed description, appreciated!!

So they actually discontinued all of the Quark Pro, Quark Tactical, Quark Turbo series models, i see.

And their official excuse for doing so is "simplified to match your needs … distilled the last 6 years of experience from our best-selling Quark series and now … with an emphasis on simplicity"? omg wbs

So after distilling 6 years of experience they come up with a 2-mode UI with memory? My little niece's 4 year old 8$ keychain budget light Tank007 E09 has 3-mode UI with memory. One can do slow-mo morsing with it too.

Last year i abandoned new Eagtac.
Now i am abandoning new Foursevens.
I can't get over the aesthetics of the new Armytek (Wizard/Pro, Prime/Pro, Partner/Pro).
Leaves me with new Streamlight and new Zebralight :thumbsup:

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW, they were sued for patent infringement for using twisty head UIs so they had to change - as a U.S.-based company and HQ, they were easy pickings vs other Chinese-based companies. I personally like the new UI and the Click has made it into my EDC rotation - the ZL UI, and many others, are too slow for how I use a light, but YMMV..

Jose Marin

Enlightened
Go to foursevens website and they have a low voltage heads on clearance for 17 dollars with the old pro or tac ui, then go to their accessories page and choose a 2 aa body and a tail switch boom. Id up grade to their qp2l-x personally and ditch the 2 aa. Oh btw that low volatge head wont work with 2 14500

Last edited:

Latest posts