Help with picking the right flashlight for work

Rhavina

Newly Enlightened
Hey

I start a job in Securitas soon, And with that i want a good and quality light. I have fallen on Olight as i already own SR95 and Marauder... I have come down to 3 lights, and would like to get some help with picking the right one(s)

R40 seeker - Seems all great to me, Rechargeable by usb etc, Which is very nice if i got mobility work i can charge it in the car, Not big so can easy fit on belt etc...

Sr52 ---||---

Sr mini int - Massive flood that is really nice, But from what i can see it is not rechargeable via USB or easy plug and charge as many of the Olight is which i see as a little NEAT thing, But reviews of this light is mega postive and i hardly find any review were people not say it's their fav light.

The reason why i come down to these lights is their batterytime even on decent outputs, I am ofc open to other suggestions, But i really like these three lights and i may buy two of them, But as i said, Need help with which ones :confused:

Looking forward to some good suggestions and feedback as always.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I prefer tailcap switches but the R40 seems more appropriately sized for daily work. The SRs are pretty much brighter than any standard automotive headlight on the market. Considerably.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Hey

I start a job in Securitas soon, And with that i want a good and quality light. I have fallen on Olight as i already own SR95 and Marauder... I have come down to 3 lights, and would like to get some help with picking the right one(s)

R40 seeker - Seems all great to me, Rechargeable by usb etc, Which is very nice if i got mobility work i can charge it in the car, Not big so can easy fit on belt etc...

Sr52 ---||---

Sr mini int - Massive flood that is really nice, But from what i can see it is not rechargeable via USB or easy plug and charge as many of the Olight is which i see as a little NEAT thing, But reviews of this light is mega postive and i hardly find any review were people not say it's their fav light.

The reason why i come down to these lights is their batterytime even on decent outputs, I am ofc open to other suggestions, But i really like these three lights and i may buy two of them, But as i said, Need help with which ones :confused:

Looking forward to some good suggestions and feedback as always.

How large a light(s) would be OK to carry?

What's the longest sightline you want to be able to see what at the end of? (Realistically, what would you need to see at what maximum range?)

Are you walking in the dark, and popping the light on to see what went bump, or, walking around a large area sweeping the light constantly to both see where you are going, and, looking for missing/damaged property/people who should not be there, etc? (Describe the likely use)

Some notes:

As rechargeable lights that can take 18650 etc, the runtime is not as important if just swapping in some fresh cells would fix it...and, as that would mean the charger could stay in the car, charging a few sets of spares, etc....and you'd never "run out".

The lights that you HAVE TO plug in to charge are DEAD until you charge them...so if a SHTF event is going on and your light dies, it stays dead. If you have spare cells in your pocket, you have options.

Lights with a lot of throw tend to concentrate the hot spot to get it...and, for close up work, the glare KILLS your night vision, so you are night blind....a bad thing.

A smaller floody light for close up, and a thrower for distance, is often the solution.

Rhavina

Newly Enlightened
How large a light(s) would be OK to carry?

What's the longest sightline you want to be able to see what at the end of? (Realistically, what would you need to see at what maximum range?)

Are you walking in the dark, and popping the light on to see what went bump, or, walking around a large area sweeping the light constantly to both see where you are going, and, looking for missing/damaged property/people who should not be there, etc? (Describe the likely use)

Some notes:

As rechargeable lights that can take 18650 etc, the runtime is not as important if just swapping in some fresh cells would fix it...and, as that would mean the charger could stay in the car, charging a few sets of spares, etc....and you'd never "run out".

The lights that you HAVE TO plug in to charge are DEAD until you charge them...so if a SHTF event is going on and your light dies, it stays dead. If you have spare cells in your pocket, you have options.

Lights with a lot of throw tend to concentrate the hot spot to get it...and, for close up work, the glare KILLS your night vision, so you are night blind....a bad thing.

A smaller floody light for close up, and a thrower for distance, is often the solution.

The area of use in the first place would be shopping malls and shops in the town, But i would fast be pulled to mobility work, Where i drive around to industrial areas etc to see everything is ok, For this i would always have the sr95 and marauder that would make it as bright daylight in open areas, hehe.

I would not need to use it constantly, Mostly when looking closer and looking into shops. Ofc some places i may need to use it to coordinate aswell. So mostly the last you mentioned, For people that should not be there, stolen stuff etc.

most important is that it can be easy carried on a belt, So it cant be to heavy or big, It should be easy to use/access aswell as it put out good light. And i have really good experience with Olight so thats how i got to these three.

I really like all the three lights i listed, I can buy two of them for the moment, But all three would be abit to expensive. So if you would say which two you would pick that would be to great help :)

Lightfooted: thank you for the feedback!

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The area of use in the first place would be shopping malls and shops in the town, But i would fast be pulled to mobility work, Where i drive around to industrial areas etc to see everything is ok, For this i would always have the sr95 and marauder that would make it as bright daylight in open areas, hehe.

I would not need to use it constantly, Mostly when looking closer and looking into shops. Ofc some places i may need to use it to coordinate aswell. So mostly the last you mentioned, For people that should not be there, stolen stuff etc.

most important is that it can be easy carried on a belt, So it cant be to heavy or big, It should be easy to use/access aswell as it put out good light. And i have really good experience with Olight so thats how i got to these three.

I really like all the three lights i listed, I can buy two of them for the moment, But all three would be abit to expensive. So if you would say which two you would pick that would be to great help :)

Lightfooted: thank you for the feedback!

Sooo, what's the furthest away the missing stuff/bad guy might be from you?

Rhavina

Newly Enlightened
Sooo, what's the furthest away the missing stuff/bad guy might be from you?

Without knowing 100% lets say 150-200m outside, And not more then 70-100m inside. Then i put it abit on the edge to be sure.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Without knowing 100% lets say 150-200m outside, And not more then 70-100m inside. Then i put it abit on the edge to be sure.

OK, that helps a lot.

For outside, at 200 meters, you might want 30 lux or more on target, which is a LOT of throw. (Over 1 million cd) - To see someone in low contrast clothing, prone...in dirt or grass, etc.

If the target is more easily seen, 1 - 5 lux can work.

1 lux would show you someone in light clothing, standing....and take ~ 40k cd, within the range of single 18650 lights.

5 lux would help if they are still in light clothing, but crouched....and take ~ 200k cd, within the range of single celled 18650 from, say, Vinh.

Inside, too tight a beam is hard to use w/o tunnel vision, so a floodier beam makes sense typically. 100 M inside is pretty far, but, the same physics apply....except most interior spaces are lighter in color, so, light clothing doesn't contrast as well...and dark clothing tends to blend in shadows better, so you'd really be looking at at least 5 lux at 100 m as a minimum.

That's ~ 50k cd...with some floodiness.

recDNA

Flashaholic
If you want throw and lumens described you really need a bigger flashlight with at least 2 x 18650. A vn supercharged 1 x 18650 bazooka will run out of juice too fast.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
If you want throw and lumens described you really need a bigger flashlight with at least 2 x 18650. A vn supercharged 1 x 18650 bazooka will run out of juice too fast.

Nothing a bandolier of 18650 can't handle....

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive got the SR52,R40A and M2X. All are awesome modern classics. R40A is easiest to belt carry. GoingGear sells the official sheath for the R40A so yes there is one. The R40A has an amazingly well done beam profile. Throw to spill ratio is outstanding. Being able to plug into any USB and recharge the big 26650 is a bonus. The SR52 is about as big a belt carry light as could be carried comfortably. USB charger as well. I love my SR52 to me it is one of the best overall lights of the past 2 years. It throws as far as my eye can see and the beam width is incredible. Also when Olight says 1200 lumens they mean it. True a Vinh light may be a light bazooka but his mods are done at the cost of run times sometimes to the extreme.

M2X Javelot. Amazingly compact for a light that has nearly 200k of throw. The sheath for it is very good. Even with the extender and running 2x18650 the light fits the sheath well and is light and easy to belt carry. If I were you Id go R40A and M2X. Both lights on your belt will still weigh less than having just the big heavy SR52 hanging off your belt. If you need to sweep for distance the M2X is a laser that just doesnt seem to ever stop. For most general closer distances the R40A throws a near perfect beam with a nice bright well defined hot spot with LOTS of bright spill. Good luck.

Rhavina

Newly Enlightened
Ive got the SR52,R40A and M2X. All are awesome modern classics. R40A is easiest to belt carry. GoingGear sells the official sheath for the R40A so yes there is one. The R40A has an amazingly well done beam profile. Throw to spill ratio is outstanding. Being able to plug into any USB and recharge the big 26650 is a bonus. The SR52 is about as big a belt carry light as could be carried comfortably. USB charger as well. I love my SR52 to me it is one of the best overall lights of the past 2 years. It throws as far as my eye can see and the beam width is incredible. Also when Olight says 1200 lumens they mean it. True a Vinh light may be a light bazooka but his mods are done at the cost of run times sometimes to the extreme.

M2X Javelot. Amazingly compact for a light that has nearly 200k of throw. The sheath for it is very good. Even with the extender and running 2x18650 the light fits the sheath well and is light and easy to belt carry. If I were you Id go R40A and M2X. Both lights on your belt will still weigh less than having just the big heavy SR52 hanging off your belt. If you need to sweep for distance the M2X is a laser that just doesnt seem to ever stop. For most general closer distances the R40A throws a near perfect beam with a nice bright well defined hot spot with LOTS of bright spill. Good luck.

Wow, Thanks for sharing your experiences!

I have decided to not go for the m2x, The reason is the areas that throw would be usefull is during mobility work, There i will always have the SR95 and marauder in the car anyway, But the M2X is a light im gonna pick up for sure when things are settled down with the new job etc....

I really like the SR52 and r40, ( when you say R40A i guess youre talking about R40 seeker??)

I have now been talking with the guy i bought my other olights from , He could fix me the r40 and sr52 for 199$... Batteries, holsters, Car chargers etc included.... He could fix me special price package for R40,sr52 and Sr mini int, aswell, But im still waiting for the reply on that one - But i think he would ask 300-340$ for all three lights - Everything included. Does that seem like a very good deal?

I would also like to thank every one of you for the reply and sharing your opinions! :twothumbs

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
tried responding twice now but it wouldnt let me post. Just gonna say the $199 deal sounds like a steal keep us posted

Rhavina

Newly Enlightened
tried responding twice now but it wouldnt let me post. Just gonna say the $199 deal sounds like a steal keep us posted

353$ for all three flashlights and batteries etc + XTAR VC4 battery charger...

That is the sr52,sr mini and R40seeker.

What do you guys think? Am i doing a very good buy if i go for it? :naughty:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lets see the SR52 averages $150, Mini Intimidator $150, R40 Seeker $120. My brand new Xtar VC4(AWESOME charger!)was $30 and the proper Xtar USB wall adapter for it was $10 for a total of $460 before batteries. I hope this guy is on the level as thats an incredible deal. Hope its all actually new and unopened and that the batteries are Olight 3400mah 18650s. Remember the R40 does NOT come with the official Olight R40 sheath its sold seperately by GoingGear.com....oh Olight 3400mah 18650s average $13-17 a piece. The SR52 takes 3 18650s and the Mini takes 3x18650's so add that up and youd be saving $209. As long as you are sure dude is on the level Id first go over the details especially the batteries and R40 sheath etc jump on it.

In China these lights costs half what they do here so I imagine your friend has a Chinese source that ships cheapest Chinese parcel thus even at the price hes giving you hes still making out good. Keep us posted if you have suspicions or questions plz ask here or even contact Olight as a last resort(they wouldnt like to hear about their products going for home price in the US) good luck I hope its all good and if it is you should be one content dude for quite awhile

Rhavina

Newly Enlightened
Lets see the SR52 averages $150, Mini Intimidator $150, R40 Seeker $120. My brand new Xtar VC4(AWESOME charger!)was $30 and the proper Xtar USB wall adapter for it was $10 for a total of $460 before batteries. I hope this guy is on the level as thats an incredible deal. Hope its all actually new and unopened and that the batteries are Olight 3400mah 18650s. Remember the R40 does NOT come with the official Olight R40 sheath its sold seperately by GoingGear.com....oh Olight 3400mah 18650s average $13-17 a piece. The SR52 takes 3 18650s and the Mini takes 3x18650's so add that up and youd be saving $209. As long as you are sure dude is on the level Id first go over the details especially the batteries and R40 sheath etc jump on it.

In China these lights costs half what they do here so I imagine your friend has a Chinese source that ships cheapest Chinese parcel thus even at the price hes giving you hes still making out good. Keep us posted if you have suspicions or questions plz ask here or even contact Olight as a last resort(they wouldnt like to hear about their products going for home price in the US) good luck I hope its all good and if it is you should be one content dude for quite awhile

I ordered the SR95 and marauder from him and everything was unopened and legit, Back then he also gave me about 100$ off, But im gonna ask i details about the batteries, The picture he showed was atleast of the Olight batteries, But gonna ask to be sure :D

If interessted pm me and i will link you to the seller :)

Last edited:

Rhavina

Newly Enlightened
Ok, Batteries was from Olight, certified code on every item so i could check if i wanted. :):D

Rhavina

Newly Enlightened
So i have NO IDEA how i ended up with this but here is the order, I kinda went on a shopping rampage LOL!:rolleyes:

1*R40 (w/ 26650 battery)
1*SR52 (w/ 3*3400mAh batteries)
1*SR Mini (w/ 3*3400mAh batteries+ XTAR VC4 battery charger)
1*M18 Striker (w/ 1*3400mAh battery+ XTAR MC1 battery charger)
1*M18 Maverick (w/ 1*2600mAh battery + XTAR MC1 battery charger)

+ holsters, USB, etc, Everything in the package.

450$

Last edited: