Sledgehammer Night Hike with LED Flashlights. Fenix E41 and Predator Warm.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
You can't get gains without hard work. That's just the way it is. For this night hike I took a crowbar along with a heavy pack. A masonic brother wore a 25 lb weight vest, lighter pack and sledgehammer. We hiked for around 6-miles. The pack was a Kifaru Pointman. Flashlight lights Predator warm and Fenix E41. Headlamp Fenix HP12. Within my kit was a full sleep system including USGI Gortex bivy bag, woobie, bug net, poncho tarp and ground pad. Not needed but an easy way to gain extra pack weight.

Tools of this dubious trade. The sledgehammer and full sized crowbar. Getting out of one's comfort zone can push a person to knew gains or maybe injuries. Time will tell. The goal for this hike was 5-6 miles through moderate terrain.

My Masonic brother wearing a his 25 lb weight vest, EMS pack and sledgehammer. I will be shopping around for a weight vest. Seems like a great idea to add more of an edge.

There is no easy way to carry a sledgehammer miles through the woods near as I could tell.

A full sized crowbar makes for an absolutely morbidly horrible hiking staff.

Not only that but I couldn't find any comfortable way to carry it. It cramped up my hand over time. It would dig into my shoulder. It would get caught up on trees and brush. Once it actually hit me in the back of the head. But on the pro side I was able to over turn really big rocks off trail and my arms were burning. Plus it made for a rock solid support pole when crossing creeks. It might as well been welded to the bed of moving water.

It was a nice cool night. I seen an owl about 10 feet up perched on a branch right above my head but it flew off before I could get a pic.

During night hikes I like to shine powerful lights into water to see what the aquatic fish and critters are up to. I seen two eels, trout, sunfish, minnows and the occasional bass guessing small mouth.

Not only are these night hikes an opportunity to work out physically but test gear. This time I was comparing the pros and cons of two bright LED lights.

1. Armytek Preditor warm 1X1860
2. Fenix E41 4XAA.

Both have more than enough power and run time for night hikes and BOB duty. Both have their pros and cons so it's hard to say one is better than the other. I trust the Fenix brand more but that's just me.

Kifaru Pointman is a wonderful mid range pack. It's the host pack for my 72 hour BOB.

We hiked from around 9:30 PM to 1:30 AM. I think the average speed was 1.25 miles per hour. Less than I hopped for but that's just the way things worked out. For those who prefer a video format I will include that. Thanks for looking.

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
Sledgehammer and fullsize crowbar?:faint: Night time in the woods...:aaa:

What grizzly murder were you planning to commit?:dedhorse:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
When looking for weight packs, the ones we use for scuba diving are good too. You can also add ankle weights, such as used for aerobics, etc....to make it even more of a workout.

Bringing something awkward to carry is a strangely effective way to add a new dimension to it as well...as it forces you to compensate for it.

The other thing that makes it different is to use no lights at all. We might use FLIR or night vision goggles (Tunnel vision, big time...) to really make it harder to navigate...you really need to pick your lines, etc.

Another thing that makes it really stretch your limits is to say every mile has to be finished in less time than the mile before it....etc

:D

Woods Walker

The other thing that makes it different is to use no lights at all. We might use FLIR or night vision goggles (Tunnel vision, big time...) to really make it harder to navigate...you really need to pick your lines, etc.

This is a flashlight forum LOL! More lights the better. :)

Woods Walker

Instead of lugging around a sledge hammer, I think that I would prefer to just carry a couple dozen lights.

JMHO,
-Chuck

I hear your cry. Took along the following

1. Armytek Preditor warm 1X1860
2. Fenix E41 4XAA
3. 4/7 QPLC with AA body.
4. Fenix HP12

:twothumbs

I did kinda missed my M61 NL or WL in SF host. Those have the highest degree of trust. But gotta admit the throw of the Predator lights up an underwater nocturnal eel wonderfully. :grin2:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Passing you on the trail at night I would have to implement my 2 step survival program.

1.) RUN

2) FAST

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL! Last night I was on a more civilized trail wearing an Osprey daypack and fancy jogging shoes running. Looked like a harmless yuppie.

Osprey or not, if you got a sledge hammer in the woods, it is automatically B rated horror movie territory...... and Forrest is gone.

Kidding aside, not a bad idea to pair yourself up carrying odd objects to make gains. I mentioned it before but I did the opposite... 18 liters for 3 days, me and my buddy were talking about where he could bury me should the need arise. Obviously at the time I wasn't feeling my best and was teetering on a real deal emergency... but found it hilarious he would have to do it with the small plastic poop shovel.

:crackup:

Stupid..... but I learned something imperative...... proper water, warmth and sun cover will get you a LONG way.

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
LOL! Last night I was on a more civilized trail wearing an Osprey daypack and fancy jogging shoes running. Looked like a harmless yuppie.

Like Patrick Bateman?
40.jpg

All things aside, pretty interesting way to challenge yourself (but I'm still running if I'd see you, hopefully before you see me:grin2:).

Woods Walker

Here is something you'll haven't considered. How much light would there be if I double fisted both flashlights and ran the headlamp on turbo? I think maybe around 2500 lumens but have not done the math.