Newbie Opinion SL Poly Tac HP vs SF G2X Pro

Hoghunter82

Newly Enlightened
Not really a review, just some thoughts for anyone looking at getting either the Stream Light Poly Tac HP or the Surefire G2X Pro. I was looking for a $50 price range LED option for around the house and I ordered both to see which one I'd prefer. These are just my opinions and I'm just some newbie dude trying to find a nice light.

Poly Tac HP:
Larger head than what I had expected.
No real way to add a lanyard (I did find a way to thread through the clip but it wasn't easy).
Switching between High/Strobe/Low was tricky for the family. I didn't like this feature at all.
Felt kinda cheap in the hand. It was $44 so not sure what I was expecting.
The light pattern was a bit odd. A lot of rings in the throw (hard to explain).
Very nice job lighting up the back yard- impressive.

Sure Fire G2X Pro:
Loved the size- perfectly balanced.
I paid a bit more to get the Tan color which is easy to see in a bag or glovebox.
Absolutely no way to add a lanyard.
Felt much more solid in the hand. It was $10 more than the Poly Tac. ($54).
The Low/High switch is very easy to manipulate and alternate between.
Light pattern was much fuller. No weird rings in the light throw.

Conclusion:
No surprise, but I kept the Sure Fire G2X Pro. The lanyard issue ticks me off though. I just ordered the lanyard kit from Sure Fire so more money spent- but since the G2X Pro is a keeper I felt OK about investing in it. There was nothing necessarily "wrong" with the Stream Light, it just didn't measure up to the Sure Fire in my opinion. For me the Sure Fire G2X Pro is easier to use, feels more solid in the hand, and light projected in a cleaner pattern. Hope this may help someone.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Good choice keeping the SF! :) The lanyard kit works, I would imagine an aftermarket pocket clip (Maybe Jason at Dark Sucks- Prometheus Lights?) allows attaching a lanyard as well. Welcome aboard!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Just ordered my first sure fire...the one cited here.
This thread made me feel even more at ease with the decision. But my new hobby has just taken a turn onto a path I should've avoided... :eek:

Can't wait to try it out.
Also after much reading I chose Panosonic 123's over the SF type. Better reviews from a bunch of folks while reviews of the SF betteries kept showing lack of power out of the box.
Both were about $1.50 each in quantities of 10-12.