Zebralight SC62

Swamplite

Newly Enlightened
I have been thinking about buying a SC62 for a couple of weeks now.I have been reading reviews both old and new and my head is spinning with indecision.I see problems with inconsistent color tints etc.I know things can change from month to month so my question is for those who have purchased the SC62 in the last few months.Are you satisfied overall and do you have any complaints about color tint or throw?I have several 1000 lm lights but the size of the SC62 is really attractive to me.My usage of the light would be in a general nature with pocket carry from time to time.Most importantly it would be for spotting zombies in my back yard.Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
[h=1][/h]

Amelia

Enlightened
I have a pair of SC62w and a pair of SC62d lights. I use the SC62d lights more than the SC62w, but they're all great and have nice tints. I'd say stop thinking about it, and just buy one! :)

markr6

Flashaholic
Awesome light. I never really carried it as an EDC so I finally decided to sell mine. I use my SC600w more often (but not carried in a pocket since it's much thicker)

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you really like cool white tint, buy the SC62w instead of the SC62. The SC62w has a very pleasing neutral white tint.

I also have an SC62d, but don't like it. Fit and finish is noticeably worse than my SC62w, and output feels very low. To me the 5000k tint also looks much worse than 4400k neutral of the SC62w.

markr6

Flashaholic
Unless you really like cool white tint, buy the SC62w instead of the SC62. The SC62w has a very pleasing neutral white tint.

I also have an SC62d, but don't like it. Fit and finish is noticeably worse than my SC62w, and output feels very low. To me the 5000k tint also looks much worse than 4400k neutral of the SC62w.

Yeah when I had my SC62d, I would click it on high and always double click looking for a higher mode...it wasn't there :(

"Good enough" for most tasks isn't good enough for me anymore! I want stupid high output as long as there are additional lower modes available AS WELL.

Capolini

Banned
I have had the SC62 since last October.Works great, no issues whatsoever. It is One of my few cool white lights[most of my lights are de domed and modded!] but I still like it very much. In fact, cool white was all I knew until I started getting all these modded lights w/ warmer tints that have grown on me.

It is a versatile light w/ numerous modes, compact size for 18650 and the PID technology works very well. If you like the warmer tint get the SC62w,,,cooler tint get SC62! Either way I think you will like the light very much.;)

gbelleh

Newly Enlightened
I just got an SC62 last week. As I recall, the tint was ok. But I had to pack it up and send it right back for a replacement because after about 10 seconds in high mode, it would start flickering. It did this with all cells I tried. I'm still waiting on the replacement to arrive.

Capolini

Banned
^^^ That is unfortunate and it can happen w/ any light.

I just sent my N'core EC11 back. It flickered, changed modes on its own, wouldn't change modes when I tried! Good news it was 6 weeks old[Past the 30 day dealer responsibility] and I got a full refund.

Hopefully you get your replacement soon.:)

TCY

Enlightened
Unless the light you got is defective, you can't go wrong with the SC62 series. Very well designed and well made.

HarveyRich

Enlightened
Just brought the sc62 about 2-3 weeks ago. I have single 18650 flashlights for 4 Nitecore lights and a Jetbeam, as well as several cheap Chinese types. The Zebralight is without a doubt the best single 18650 light I own. The beam color is spot on; the balance between hot spot and spill is perfect for me, the UI is not as complicated as it seems when reading about it and is actually nearly perfect as it gives easy access to 6 modes and access to 5 more plus strobe ones if that's what you want. It took me only a few hours to master it. The size is much smaller than anything on the market, and it really does get almost 4 1/2 hrs runtime on 350 lumens with a Panasonic 2900 mah battery. Summary: best all around light I own. I was on the fence between this and the Nitecore EC11. Got this because of the runtime and the heat dissipation issue with the Nitecore--no regrets. You will love it.

pepekraft

Newly Enlightened
[...]
Are you satisfied overall and do you have any complaints about color tint or throw?
[...]
Most importantly it would be for spotting zombies in my back yard.

You mention throw -- The XML in a small reflector gites it a pretty large hot spot, and I don't think of it as very throwy at all (except what you naturally get from the brightness).

I love my sc62w, and the size is perfect for pocket carry in my opinion and zebralight has my favorite UI so far. As long as you don't expect a tight hotspot, I think you'll love it too.

-John

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mention throw -- The XML in a small reflector gites it a pretty large hot spot, and I don't think of it as very throwy at all (except what you naturally get from the brightness).

I love my sc62w, and the size is perfect for pocket carry in my opinion and zebralight has my favorite UI so far. As long as you don't expect a tight hotspot, I think you'll love it too.

-John

My favorite UI is DrJones Mokkadrv. Simple, effective, no chance of accidentally blasting yourself with turbo during a midnight bathroom break, etc.

Mokkadrv works like this:

Single click from off: max power
Single click from on: off
Double click from on or off: strobe
Long click from off: moonlight
Click and hold: cycles through modes starting from moonlight.
Hold for over 8 seconds: battery monitor

The newest version of Mokkadrv features 3-4 modes, all of which are programmable, and a programmable turbo timer.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SC62w is possibly my most versatile light. Perfect flood/throw ratio, very small, good tint, excellent runtime, brutal power. That's my go-to light.

recDNA

Flashaholic
How long on turbo before it gets hot? If allowed to step down on its can one start at turbo and continue to use for 15 minutes without it getting too hot?

markr6

Flashaholic
I think I mentioned it in the original SC62 thread; something like 1.5-2 minutes and it's really hot! Short bursts are probably best for H1.

Swamplite

Newly Enlightened
I hated to fork out the bucks on a light I didn't really need but I came up with a solution.I have a small knife collection and told myself I would rather have the SC62 than a few of my cheaper knifes.Sold two of the knifes,one to go,and the SC62 will be on order.Thanks for all the feedback.

Capolini

Banned
How long on turbo before it gets hot? If allowed to step down on its can one start at turbo and continue to use for 15 minutes without it getting too hot?

It is PID technology[thermal management]. It gradually steps down due to heat build up. It is NOT like a button where you can return from a stepped down high to turbo.

The light will NOT get damaged even if one feels it is too hot to hold. I have used it on max outside for ~ 10 minutes[obviously stepping down w/ PID] and have used it inside for 3 or 4 minutes on max!

I am so use to Vinhs modded throwers that I use every night which generate more heat. So the SC62 is no big deal in that regard. Like a lot of things it is what your use to and what your threshold is!

Swamplite

Newly Enlightened
One question please.After reading so many reviews I'm almost sure I saw where the SC62 will take 18650 flat tops.I have four Panasonic 3400 flat tops that need a job so can anyone confirm this?

Capolini

Banned
One question please.After reading so many reviews I'm almost sure I saw where the SC62 will take 18650 flat tops.I have four Panasonic 3400 flat tops that need a job so can anyone confirm this?

Yes. I am actually using a Flat Top NCR18650BD[Panasonic cell] in it. I would think yours would also work.

Last edited: