Why buy a Surefire headlamp when you can get a Dorcy Pro Series 200 Lumen Headlamp?

emp13

Newly Enlightened
Why buy a Surefire headlamp when you can get a Dorcy Pro Series 200 Lumen Headlamp for $40?

http://www.dorcy.com/p-665-41-2612-pro-series-200-lumen-led-headlight.aspx

th

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since when does IPX4 speak to design quality and toughness? Hopefully it is under-rated, but I'd be reluctant to use it even in rain, with a rating that low. Wash it in the sink and you would be exceeding the rated water resistance.

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because plastic instead of aluminum
Because three modes instead of ramping UI
Because Dorcy

Berneck1

Enlightened
I have a couple of Dorcy lights. Their sole purpose is to hang in the closets for an emergency AND as give away lights if someone needs one. Being in NYC I have only been in two power outages. People have a false sense of security here because of that, so a lot of people don't have a flashlight. Amazes me.

Dorcy has their place for anyone, but I would not use them as my primary "reliable" light.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
...... so a lot of people don't have a flashlight. Amazes me.
Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

During Sandy and the weeks after I was surprised that some of my co workers didn't have flashlights at home and were taking their duty lights home because they had no power. Growing up almost every room in the house had a flashlight in case of an emergency. To see guys that worked in the emergency response field not have flashlights at home was odd to me.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
During Sandy and the weeks after I was surprised that some of my co workers didn't have flashlights at home and we're taking their duty lights home because they had no power. Growing up almost every room in the house had a flashlight in case of an emergency. To see guys that worked in the emergency response field not have flashlights at home was odd to me.

The saying is: "The Cobblers Sons Have no Shoes"

:D

RyeBread

Newly Enlightened
Because plastic instead of aluminum
Because three modes instead of ramping UI
Because Dorcy
If only there were a 'like' button on CPF... [emoji23]

At $40, why not just throw in an extra $10-20 or so to get the aluminum and IPX8 and so on?

D6859

Enlightened
I think I've seen a post like this during the last year. I'm afraid it's just an advertisement or that this thread was started as a paid endorsement.

Berneck1

Enlightened
I think I've seen a post like this during the last year. I'm afraid it's just an advertisement or that this thread was started as a paid endorsement.

I love when someone thinks a person liking a cheaper light is somehow trolling.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
At $40, why not just throw in an extra $10-20 or so to get the aluminum and IPX8 and so on?

Good point. Although $40 may seem cheap, it's actually ALOT for a cheap, plastic headlamp. For about $25 more, you can have a Zebralight H52 or Armytek Tiara A1.

To make matters worse, I have REAL doubts that this headlamp can live up to its claims. Although I can't say for sure, it looks like it has a 5mm LED. You will NEVER get 200 lumens from a 5mm LED. The fact that it doesn't list a specific emitter (which most any manufacturer is proud to do) doesn't look good in this regard. Also, a runtime of 8hr at 200 lumens on 2xAA? Not happening.

Last edited:

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
To make matters worse, I have REAL doubts that this headlamp can live up to its claims. Although I can't say for sure, it looks like it has a 5mm LED. You will NEVER get 200 lumens from a 5mm LED.
There's an optic, which makes it hard to tell, but it seems unlikely someone would claim 200lm from a 1x5mm light.
At least, outside certain online marketplaces.
And a 1x5mm light that had a 8hour runtime on 2xAA would have either a woefully inefficient driver or would burn the LED out in no time

The fact that it doesn't list a specific emitter (which most any manufacturer is proud to do) doesn't look good in this regard. Also, a runtime of 8hr at 200 lumens on 2xAA? Not happening.
You're dead right that regulated 200lm for 8 hrs on 2xAA is bollocks, since it would require about 10Wh from 2xAA, which isn't going to happen, but even the 'ANSI standards' were seemingly designed by manufacturers expressly to allow unregulated lights to make seriously misleading claims.

Like any other light, if it produces 200lm after a few minutes it can then drop horrendously and still meet the ANSI standards, let alone even worse ones.