LEd flashlight that provides flood type beam but throw as well budget $150 AUD

muso

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for an led torch approx 1200 lm that provides a wide flood like beam but can be adjusted to throw a fair distance when needed, for when I take my dogs out in the bush at night. I've considered a few models so far,Thrunight TN12 2014, Viking V3, Olight SR52, Olight M3X. These all seem to throw more than they flood though. My son has a cheap 'Eiger electrical' torch ($39.95) which is actually quite impressive with glass projector lens with adjustable focus from flood to spot (which they probably all have) it's a 5w cree led and 240 lumens. But I'm after something a bit better than that and there is so much out there and this LED technology is amazing and addictive. But for my use a flood type beam is better, I want to tun night into day lol (for night bushwalking with dogs) but needs to be adjustable to a reasonable throw spot when needed as well, budget $150 AUD, thanks in advance :)

TCY

Enlightened
If the adjustable focus system is a must, check out the Led Lenser product line, but none of their lights meet your lumen requirements (not even close) for ~150 AUD. Your best bet would probably be one of these: the Throwy Viking V3, the Floody Zebralight SC62/SC62W, or TN12/Fenix PD35/Nitecore P12 with a nice balance between spot and flood. They all lie within the 1000lm range. The two Olight alternatives you mentioned would probably be too bulky and throwy for general bushwalking..

code2006

Newly Enlightened
I had led lenser x7r
Wasnt the brightest of torches but it was ok

muso

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, the ones you have mentioned all seem to be pretty good. Now I'm new to this technology, I assume that when you purchase one of these flashlights you also have to purchase batteries +charger separately, in that it isn't a plug and play affair like it would be with a cheaper led torch that takes AA batteries. I really liked the Olight SR52 after seeing a youtube review but it's hard to tell and as mentioned it may be too throwy. Any tips on non rechargeable types that just take AA C or D cell batteries? I realise these would be a lower lumens rate.

Last edited:

xed888

Enlightened
Thanks guys, the ones you have mentioned all seem to be pretty good. Now I'm new to this technology, I assume that when you purchase one of these flashlights you also have to purchase batteries +charger separately, in that it isn't a plug and play affair like it would be with a cheaper led torch that takes AA batteries. I really liked the Olight SR52 after seeing a youtube review but it's hard to tell and as mentioned it may be too throwy. Any tips on non rechargeable types that just take AA C or D cell batteries? I realise these would be a lower lumens rate.

Sent you a PM, @muso

code2006

Newly Enlightened
The led lenser x7r comes with a rechargeable 18650 battery ( look them up ) and a magnetic charger so no need for a separate charger
Its a shame i lost my torch , still got the charger just incase i do fine it lol
The charger connects to the end of the flash light
Simple and easy
Green light for fully charged and red light for charging

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
muso, it may not be 1200 lumens but its pretty close and its variable flood to spot focus. The Coast HP550. 1075 for real lumens and its throw beam is huge and bright. Its flood beam is massive and well defined. Dump the 9 AA alkalines it comes with and install either Energizer Ultimate Lithiums or Eneloops for max performance. I have many lights and the HP550 is my favorite big light as its very well built cheap and a true 1000+ lumen light. Here its 60 bucks there its probably 80. Still worth it. HP550 puts the rest of the Coast LED Lenser line to shame. Cannot go wrong. 9 new Lithium or new Eneloop AA cells will be pricey but once you load the light up with them and wait for darkness youll see how worth it it all is. Good luck

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
HP550
WIN_20150614_103727_zpss3g4uyxv.jpg
WIN_20150614_103755_zpslttqp1dz.jpg

TEEJ

Flashaholic
That's a ginormous light with a LOT of cells for output barely over what some keychain lights can do now a days.

:D

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mod'd a coast polysteel 600 to warm white xml2 dedomed, pushing 5A with 1x26650 imr. About 1000lm. Focusable. I potted the driver and heatsink for more thermal mass since it's not a the best body for heatsinking. I've ran the batt down on high (about an hr and change) and there was no degradation in light quality or any discernable phosphor damage. Only issue I had with it was the lens secure clip kept coming lose so I LOCA'd the lens in place. Whole project was less than $75USD.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good lord FRITZHID! 5a is quite an upgrade! Did you have to do any special boring or build a special holder for the 26650? All for less than $75 is very impressive! Ive always thought the HP550 would make a great host to mod as would the HP7,14 and 17. At the end of this month the HP17 will feature an XP-L and push 970 lumens Ive already pre ordered one. Im betting it will be a 550 meter light with a flood beam as massive as the HP550

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good lord FRITZHID! 5a is quite an upgrade! Did you have to do any special boring or build a special holder for the 26650? All for less than $75 is very impressive! Ive always thought the HP550 would make a great host to mod as would the HP7,14 and 17. At the end of this month the HP17 will feature an XP-L and push 970 lumens Ive already pre ordered one. Im betting it will be a 550 meter light with a flood beam as massive as the HP550

No, no boring. It runs stock on a 4xAA unit that's larger than a 26650. In fact, I had to build a custom spacer (from light + to the batt +) and a wrap around to stabilize and center the batt itself.
The head can get pretty Damn hot but from touch, I believe the LED is within margins, perhaps slightly over.
I've been very impressed with the upgrade TBH. Used one of Mountain's drivers (added a few 7135s to boost current) and there's no flicker, clean bright beam, both flood and spot. At least a 75% overall improvement imho. The tail switch is (full click to on... Forward clicky?) I'd prefer a momentary press to activate (reverse clicky?) But Idk if there's a switch to fit....yet.
Yes I had to add copper braid to the spring to reduce resistance, as well as some copper braided rings around the body connections since they were causing connection issues. I load the battery rear end and the "dummy" spacer near the head for balance but I have to say, it's a hellova lighter over the stock designs.

Bruno28

Enlightened
Where in aus are you?
I have a Olight Sr 52 that I never used. It's in box. It's the 1200lm like you're asking.
You could come have a look and see if its the beam youre looking for. And if you like it, you can have it for under $150.

Also have a Olight r40 seeker. That's a bit more floody than the Sr 52. But it's opened. And never used.

Last edited:

muso

Newly Enlightened
I'm in Adelaide, I do like the Olight SR52 from what I've seen on youtube it appears to have great throw but also at the same time pretty impressive spill/flood along with other impressive features such as usb charge, good run time. I think it may be better than the Olight M3X. They are here on Ebay from a Shop in N.S.W. I think for about $135 AUD without batteries. There are heaps of LED torches from Hong Kong but I wouldn't touch them in fear of fakes, I only buy local.

Cheers Celtic for the info on the Hp550 I'll check it out :)

Bruno28

Enlightened
Ohk. Mine is original as I checked the serial number with olight. And they confirmed it's authentic.
Well if you're interested make me an offer. As I'm not using and might as well go to someone who is looking for one.
If you need I can include some li-ions. They are ultrafire 3000mah, that haven't been used.

muso

Newly Enlightened
Cheers I'll keep it in mind, where are you located Bruno? I assume that I can't put AA batteries in the Olight SR52 like I could with the Coast HP550?

muso

Newly Enlightened
Would you consider the new Olight SR52 with the diffuser?

You can keep it on for most use and then pop it off to throw a fair way.

Yeah I certainly would, is it an option or does it come with it?