POLL: Do you buy spare lights?

Do you buy spare lights?

• Yes - two is one, one is none

Votes: 34 44.7%
  • No - There are always better lights coming out

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • It's a secret - If I told you, I'd have to kill you afterward.

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Spare? I buy my lights by the pallet load.

Votes: 6 7.9%

• Total voters

Amelia

Enlightened
How many of you buy spare lights for the ones you really like? Not necessarily a "spare for the hallway", but rather a light you plan to store, and use if your main light breaks or is lost?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
For myself, no.

When equipping search teams, sometimes.

I have gotten a cooler/warmer/hi-CRI version as a comparison version as well though from time to time if the format is useful.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
My expensive, high performance lights are members of a collection, and the lower cost, lower performance lights become spares.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
If you mean spare as in the same exact model/make, then no. But then again, I used to think that if I really like a light, I'd get another one; as in, "one for play, one for display." - but I never got around to doing that...

TEEJ

Flashaholic
It sounded as though the idea was getting more of one of the same, like a pair or more of the same light. ("Spares for the one's you really like")

If it was a spare, as in just another light...well, this forum is not the place where that's a salient scenario.

1DaveN

Enlightened
If I only had one light, I'd probably want a spare. Since I've got several, I can wait for one to be repaired, or replaced with 2-day shipping. I'd rather put the money into variety than extras of ones I already own.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do bears poo in the woods? Of course!
If I buy a light that is my be all and end all, then I buy another. I may lose it or break it and then they won't make any more.
Trouble is I have more than one be all and end all light.
P

Narcosynthesis

Newly Enlightened
I do own multiple copies of the same (cheap) light - all of them being bought with a specific purpose and all of them being used in different places.

I don't have any lights where I have bought a spare purely as a backup to stay at home in the box until I need it.

Generally with lights (and indeed with most technology) I have found that the technology advances as quickly enough that when the time comes to buy a new light (or camera, phone, etc) that I will be able to get something newer and better than what I am replacing. To have bought two would just mean I am stuck with the older technology for longer when I had no real need to. That is of course assuming that I do have other lights, so I am never completely without backup or alternative...

At the same time, I do always reserve the right to change my mind on the subject - if I find a light that I particularly like for certain reasons that I don't see in newer/alternative models, I may be tempted to pick up spares, but that is something I have not done yet.

Amelia

Enlightened
Likewise at casa de run4jc

Here at Casa de Amelia, my EDC and my main special-purpose lights (for flood, throw, CRI Etc.) all have at least 1 identical backup light stored away. I've had situations in the past where a light has been broken or lost, and I've been unable to replace it because it's no longer made or was rare to begin with. If I find a light now that really works well for a certain task, I buy a spare or two.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
No duplicates of the good expensive lights (the ones I cherish the most), but I guess if you consider the quantity of lights I have............there'd be lots of spare lights :D.

Last edited:

twin63

Newly Enlightened
I have an identical back up for my primary EDC light (a lego'd Quark Pro) and a couple of extra Fenix E01's, although I don't think I'll ever have to replace my current E01 unless I lose it. It's a durable little light.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. I have no desire to have two of the same light. Too boring for me.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually I do not buy spare lights. If I eventually lose the light or it breaks I figure it will probably be obsolete anyways and I'll get something newer.

However, there is one exception where I do buy spares: When I'm extensively modding a light and there's a chance I'll break something and need spare parts, I don't want to have to put the project on hold for months while waiting for replacement parts. In that situation I will sometimes order 1 or 2 extras. Usually only of cheap budget lights or unassembled hosts though. I don't order identical spares of expensive lights.