Fenix E21

rb765

Newly Enlightened
I just received my Fenix PD35 and absolutely love it. But comparing it to my old AA sized lights, I discovered it is exactly the same diameter as my old E21, but a little shorter. Also, since the E21 only has two settings that are not all that far apart (possibly because I am using alkaleeks instead of Enloops), I have decided to retire this light and replace it with another light to keep in my dresser mounted instant access gun safe.

Now, my question to you all is what to do with the old E21. It's still a great little light, but it just does not have a low enough low and for the size, I'm better off with another 35. Are there upgrades for this light that anyone can think of?

tyK8K3hHdVj6AMSLA

https://goo.gl/photos/tyK8K3hHdVj6AMSLA

The E25 in the picture I will be keeping for a while yet. Even though it does not have a tactical switch, I love the levels, so it has a home for now.

Thanks again everyone for your sage advice.

Eagles1181

Newly Enlightened
Put is somewhere that you rarely use it, but it would be handy to have a light. Glove box comes to mind as one example.

Eagle

rb765

Newly Enlightened
I thought about that, but I am hesitant about the batteries. I have lost a few lights to leaky batteries. I also had a bunch of rechargables (nihms) go bad due to non-use. So for my glovebox, I would rather keep something that uses the CR123a's. I am waiting on a Jetbeam PC10 which I think will fill the purpose of that car light. The E25 is my light on my dresser to grab for finding stuff on low. Same with the gun safe light. I want something with CR123's for longevity.

Eagles1181

Newly Enlightened
You can get LI-ion AA primaries which have a 10 year+ shelf life. Otherwise, maybe put it by the back door, or in a camp bag.

Eagle

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im not sure if you are into guns but if so it would work as a long gun weapon light. I keep meaning to buy a mount for my e21 to put on my rifle but I keep forgettig to. As for a replacement check out the Eagletac D25A2. I have the xml2 version and love it. Mode spacing is great as well as the programable settings. With the xpg2 I believe it will throw like the e21 will. Compared to my e21 the D25A2 xml2 is definitely all flood and the e21 walks away in the throw department

rb765

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the replies. I never thought about using it as a gun light. Maybe I will see if I can adapt a pressure switch to it and throw it on my 870. It will fit nicely with the blackhawk furniture it is sporting.

rb765

Newly Enlightened
I just found out the E21 uses a smaller tailswitch, so no pressure switch for it unless I can talk a friend to do some fancy machining to make an adapter to fit the larger switch cap. I tested it holding a Surefire switch and it worked fine, but I would need a reduced with totally dissimilar threads. One uses flat threads, one regular machine threads of different sizes and pitch.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my E21 just the way it is and wish I could find more.

Go Figure?

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought about that, but I am hesitant about the batteries. I have lost a few lights to leaky batteries. I also had a bunch of rechargables (nihms) go bad due to non-use. So for my glovebox, I would rather keep something that uses the CR123a's. I am waiting on a Jetbeam PC10 which I think will fill the purpose of that car light. The E25 is my light on my dresser to grab for finding stuff on low. Same with the gun safe light. I want something with CR123's for longevity.

Get L91 Energizer Lithium AA's and use it as an emergency light. There is ALWAYS use for more lights. Put in a spot in a car maybe where it won't get too hot. Just maybe replace those batteries after say 5 years just to be safe, but generally you shouldn't have problems even in summer or winter unless it's in abnormally extreme heat or cold. Don't let it heat in the light in direct sunlight. Maybe put it in the trunk under a lot of stuff to be safe.

Lithium AA's are very expensive, but honestly turn any AA light (even cheap ones) into a decent emergency light. They are not likely to leak at all unless abused or in extreme conditions and they hold their power if unused for years. Also like NiMh / Eneloops they have a much flatter discharge curve and don't drop voltage quickly like alkaline batteries.

Last edited:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's another vote for the lithium primaries and sticking it in the glove box. That's exactly what I've done with my E21. :) It's been great for a year or two so far with sparing use.