Angryfox        
Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650. Fenix TK32 or...?

  1. #1
    *Flashaholic* KevinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    At World's End
    Posts
    5,866

    Default Looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650. Fenix TK32 or...?

    Let me stir the pot here, I'm looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650 and under 300 grams weight. oh, and about 800 lumens. It's awesome to be able to ask for ROP power levels in something pocketable these days!

    Much as I love my SRTH, for those who remember it, it's getting a little old. The Fenix TK61 looked good, but is too big for my needs. The TK32 looks pretty good, the color LEDs would be fun to play with for about 5 minutes but I don't find them essential - I was never really an A2 Aviator person, apart from the saga with the black A2 (which had white LEDs as I recall)

    I already have plenty of flood lights in every size, so this light can be a thrower. I prefer a pocket clip but will live without one.

    So.. TK32 - or something else?
    Last edited by KevinL; 06-16-2015 at 12:26 PM.
    Celebrating the ROP.. 5 years of history

  2. #2

    Default Re: Looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650. Fenix TK32 or...?

    I was looking for something similar and settled on the Eagletac S200C2. Slightly lighter that the TK32, slightly less throw and a fair bit cheaper. It also does come with a pocket clip.

    Eagle

  3. #3
    Flashaholic* Ryp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,380

    Default Re: Looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650. Fenix TK32 or...?

    Olight M2X-UT. 810m of throw on 1 x 18650

  4. #4

    Default Re: Looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650. Fenix TK32 or...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryp View Post
    Olight M2X-UT. 810m of throw on 1 x 18650
    He did say "compact"... I guess the M2X-UT is compact to some people, I think it's freakin' huge!

    For true compact, or at least "coat pocketable" lights, the EagleTac S200C2 (or Vihn modded version), the Armytek Predator (and Predator Pro), Olight M22 Warrior, and soon to be released Olight M23 Javelot are all decent 300-400 meter throwers. EagleTac is also releasing some new compact throwers with dedomed emitters, including the T25C2 and G25-something (I forget). Should be out soon, but get one fast while you can, from what I've read they aren't making many of them. I'm probably going for a T25C2, depending on the throw spec. I'm still looking for a true pocketable (non-clarinet form factor) 400 meter thrower, maybe by dedoming the emitter EagleTac will finally hit that "sweet spot".

    Then, of course, there's the DEFT - but who can afford that?
    Last edited by Amelia; 06-16-2015 at 12:58 PM.

  5. #5
    Flashaholic* Ryp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,380

    Default Re: Looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650. Fenix TK32 or...?

    Well I just thought since he mentioned the TK32, the M2X is not much larger.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650. Fenix TK32 or...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryp View Post
    Well I just thought since he mentioned the TK32, the M2X is not much larger.
    True. I think everyone has their own definition of "compact". I use an AA light (EagleTac D25A) as my keychain light, so I'm really not one to be talking "compact"!

    Seriously, though - I can't imagine carrying anything much larger than the S200C2 - it's on the edge of "too big" for my tastes. When I think "compact", I'm thinking no larger than Nitecore SRT5 or EagleTac T25C2.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650. Fenix TK32 or...?

    First-the TK32 is a first rate fairly compact thrower. The beam out of it is awesome. The colored LED's are actually usable. Comes with a solid sheath. BUT as has been mentioned above the M2X is barely any bigger at all. Its when you order the extension tube that it gets a tad on the big side. I have both lights and love them both but when it comes down to it the M2X has over 3 times the throw of the TK32. TK32 has 40000 candela the M2X has been tested here on the forum to over 196,000 candela it is a freaking laser. Mode switching is totally different between the two lights that may be an issue. The TK32 has all the controls in two buttons on the tail. With the M2X you need to use both hands to go through the modes my turning the head back and forth which can be a PIA but the trade off for the M2X 800 meter range is worth it. Tint out of the TK32 is CW and the beam is strong. Tint out of the M2X is pretty darn neutral. The width of the beam profiles are almost the same with the M2X being a bit wider. The M2X is more expensive but its not THAT much more expensive. M2X comes with a really well done sheath. Go M2X man the thing is unreal.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650. Fenix TK32 or...?

    SRT5 or ET T25C2? T25C2 XP-l is an incredible light ET all day

  9. #9

    Default Re: Looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650. Fenix TK32 or...?

    I second the XP-I. Very Nice

  10. #10
    Enlightened Mountain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: Looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650. Fenix TK32 or...?

    I've been looking for the same thing Kevin, and have it down to the Eagletac TX25C2 for now. Uses a XM-L2. Great throw for its size. If I find something else I'll post it up. Good luck!

  11. #11
    Flashaholic jak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    248

    Default Re: Looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650. Fenix TK32 or...?

    I second nominations for EagleTac TX25C2. Fantastic size! I'd still have mine if it weren't for its lame (my opinion) interface.
    http://www.eagletac.com/html/tx25c2/index.html


  12. #12

    Default Re: Looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650. Fenix TK32 or...?

    +1 to EagleTac TX25C2, 16k lux in 12 cm length with 1180lm output, can't go wrong with that. But if you want some extra throw and can settle down for a tad bigger size of a light, check out the Armytek Viking Pro V3 XP-L. According to their data it has 1100 OTF lumens and a beam distance of 370m, with a 15.4 cm length.

  13. #13
    *Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    7,489

    Default Re: Looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650. Fenix TK32 or...?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinL View Post
    Let me stir the pot here, I'm looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650 and under 300 grams weight. oh, and about 800 lumens. It's awesome to be able to ask for ROP power levels in something pocketable these days!

    Much as I love my SRTH, for those who remember it, it's getting a little old. The Fenix TK61 looked good, but is too big for my needs. The TK32 looks pretty good, the color LEDs would be fun to play with for about 5 minutes but I don't find them essential - I was never really an A2 Aviator person, apart from the saga with the black A2 (which had white LEDs as I recall)

    I already have plenty of flood lights in every size, so this light can be a thrower. I prefer a pocket clip but will live without one.

    So.. TK32 - or something else?
    Under 300 g and 800 Lumens FOR HOW LONG?

    Without a lot of (heavy) heatsinking, single 18650 lights tend to not be able to maintain 800 L due to heat management issues. IE: They might have a turbo mode, etc, that gives them an INITIAL 1,200 - 800 L of OTF lumens, etc....but many strat to throttle that down in as little as 30 seconds, with few going longer than about 5 minutes or so.

    They then step down to some lower output, which could be as little as half the turbo output, etc.

    So, 800 on turbo, and then lower is OK, and, if so, how MUCH lower is OK, and, how long do you need these modes to last?


  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Valley Forge, Pa.
    Posts
    5,948

    Default Re: Looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650. Fenix TK32 or...?

    I also agree that the M2X would be a good choice. If money is not an object You could also put a "VN" after it for ~ 290/300Kcd.

    I also have the TX25C2vn. It is an awesome light w/ 80Kcd+



    M2X Stock VS M2Xvn W/ U3 PDTc Direct Drive (Both 4 mode driver and single mode only are direct drive)

    Obviously!!,,TX25C2vn on Left!



    M2Xvn next to M22 STOCK



  15. #15
    Flashaholic* RWT1405's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Castle Co., DE
    Posts
    787

    Default Re: Looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650. Fenix TK32 or...?

    Malkoff Hound Dog

  16. #16
    *Flashaholic* KevinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    At World's End
    Posts
    5,866

    Default Re: Looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650. Fenix TK32 or...?

    Quote Originally Posted by CelticCross74 View Post
    First-the TK32 is a first rate fairly compact thrower. The beam out of it is awesome. The colored LED's are actually usable. Comes with a solid sheath. BUT as has been mentioned above the M2X is barely any bigger at all. Its when you order the extension tube that it gets a tad on the big side. I have both lights and love them both but when it comes down to it the M2X has over 3 times the throw of the TK32. TK32 has 40000 candela the M2X has been tested here on the forum to over 196,000 candela it is a freaking laser. Mode switching is totally different between the two lights that may be an issue. The TK32 has all the controls in two buttons on the tail. With the M2X you need to use both hands to go through the modes my turning the head back and forth which can be a PIA but the trade off for the M2X 800 meter range is worth it. Tint out of the TK32 is CW and the beam is strong. Tint out of the M2X is pretty darn neutral. The width of the beam profiles are almost the same with the M2X being a bit wider. The M2X is more expensive but its not THAT much more expensive. M2X comes with a really well done sheath. Go M2X man the thing is unreal.
    Firstly, thank you to everybody who has replied to this thread!

    Brief bit of background: for about ten years now my favorite thrower has been the Surefire SRTH, it's very much a benchmark light. Very broadly speaking, there are three very large (broad brush) 'generations' of SF lights (IMHO, speaking just for myself): the true classic first generation lights, like the 3P, 12ZM, and other rarities lost in the mists of time. The second gen is the one we know and love so well here on CPF, things like the 6P, C2, E2e, M-series, which gradually evolved into what we see today, 3rd gen, mainly LED. The SRTH is one of the crazy cool awesome things from the first gen: The Short Rim Turbohead, as they call it. Rare as heck, even when I got in, I was buying discontinued new-old-stock.

    Originally, the SRTH was meant to be paired with a rare N2? lamp.. If I recall correctly, my memory is fading just as fast. I typically ran mine with the MN15 or MN16, then later built a handcrafted XP-G dropin that gives me about 250 lumens with utterly INSANE throw, with the tiny die size of the XP-G in that massive head. I have no way of quantitatively measuring this though, so I can't compare against any of the spec sheets, all I know is that it is NUTS, laser like, as some have described. It out-threw the KT-series 2nd-gen turboheads easily, and weighed less. OK, history lesson over!

    I just measured mine, it has a 63mm diameter, it is not a small light. I have been reading on the various recommendations here, and I've made a decision to skip the smaller lights since I am prepared to tolerate a reasonably large front end - now you know why

    TK32, 52mm diameter, 400m
    Eagletac S200C2, 47mm diameter, 381m
    Olight M2X-UT, 63mm diameter (intriguing!), 810m
    SRTH, 63mm diameter, unknown
    Fenix UC45, 40mm diameter, 257m - I have one, and I realize I might like a bit longer throw
    Fenix TK61, 96mm diameter, 824m - this is getting like Way Too Big.. just for comparison

    So, sandwiched in between the UC45's 257m throw, wanting more, and given that I'm prepared to live with a light up to 63mm diameter.... I think the Olight is a winner.

    As for 1K lumens.. I have seen the discharge graphs and I'm aware of the stepdowns, Fenix does that too. Still, 650 out the front sustained is pretty alright. Fenix has a longer time-before-stepdown, but lower sustained output. interesting tradeoff. I think the TK61 is pretty much the only one that will run 1K lumens continuously, but its size is huge, it's even bigger than my TK75, which I thought was substantial already.
    Celebrating the ROP.. 5 years of history

  17. #17
    Flashaholic* Ryp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,380

    Default Re: Looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650. Fenix TK32 or...?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinL View Post
    I think the Olight is a winner.


    Nice location by the way.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650. Fenix TK32 or...?

    M2X run times are extended a good bit with the extender and 2x18650. Still no matter what mode it is in it still throws its laser beam profile. Having to use two hands to change modes sucks though but at least strobe is accessible from the tail. Run 2x3600mah 18650 in both my M2X and M3X. Run times are Fing outstanding. Light comes in a sweet plastic case with foam fit cut outs for everything if you ever want to store it its a sweet package would be nicer if Olight included the extender that you have to buy separately. Ive read on this forum that the M2X has switched over to the XP-L emitter Idk if this is true or not. You will love this light. Keep us posted

  19. #19
    *Flashaholic* KevinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    At World's End
    Posts
    5,866

    Default Re: Looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650. Fenix TK32 or...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryp View Post


    Nice location by the way.
    Jack Sparrow, the scene on the boat where he's losing it, surrounded by the white crabs that will hopefully carry the boat to the shore. Maybe with the Olight I can signal my crew better
    Celebrating the ROP.. 5 years of history

  20. #20

    Default Re: Looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650. Fenix TK32 or...?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinL View Post
    Firstly, thank you to everybody who has replied to this thread!

    Brief bit of background: for about ten years now my favorite thrower has been the Surefire SRTH, it's very much a benchmark light. Very broadly speaking, there are three very large (broad brush) 'generations' of SF lights (IMHO, speaking just for myself): the true classic first generation lights, like the 3P, 12ZM, and other rarities lost in the mists of time. The second gen is the one we know and love so well here on CPF, things like the 6P, C2, E2e, M-series, which gradually evolved into what we see today, 3rd gen, mainly LED. The SRTH is one of the crazy cool awesome things from the first gen: The Short Rim Turbohead, as they call it. Rare as heck, even when I got in, I was buying discontinued new-old-stock.

    Originally, the SRTH was meant to be paired with a rare N2? lamp.. If I recall correctly, my memory is fading just as fast. I typically ran mine with the MN15 or MN16, then later built a handcrafted XP-G dropin that gives me about 250 lumens with utterly INSANE throw, with the tiny die size of the XP-G in that massive head. I have no way of quantitatively measuring this though, so I can't compare against any of the spec sheets, all I know is that it is NUTS, laser like, as some have described. It out-threw the KT-series 2nd-gen turboheads easily, and weighed less. OK, history lesson over!

    I just measured mine, it has a 63mm diameter, it is not a small light. I have been reading on the various recommendations here, and I've made a decision to skip the smaller lights since I am prepared to tolerate a reasonably large front end - now you know why

    TK32, 52mm diameter, 400m
    Eagletac S200C2, 47mm diameter, 381m
    Olight M2X-UT, 63mm diameter (intriguing!), 810m
    SRTH, 63mm diameter, unknown
    Fenix UC45, 40mm diameter, 257m - I have one, and I realize I might like a bit longer throw
    Fenix TK61, 96mm diameter, 824m - this is getting like Way Too Big.. just for comparison

    So, sandwiched in between the UC45's 257m throw, wanting more, and given that I'm prepared to live with a light up to 63mm diameter.... I think the Olight is a winner.

    As for 1K lumens.. I have seen the discharge graphs and I'm aware of the stepdowns, Fenix does that too. Still, 650 out the front sustained is pretty alright. Fenix has a longer time-before-stepdown, but lower sustained output. interesting tradeoff. I think the TK61 is pretty much the only one that will run 1K lumens continuously, but its size is huge, it's even bigger than my TK75, which I thought was substantial already.
    Some info that might help out.

    For throw, you'll either need to look at a de-domed LED or a smaller LED such as an XP-G2. Or both if you want pure throw.

    The thing is, lumens are a bit like torque with car engines, more is usually good. But doesn't really tell the whole story. And as a rule, you can get more lux/throw by going for a lower lumen output. That's because something like an XP-G2 is smaller than an XM-L2, so it's lumen output will be lower for a given amp rating.


    Throw is then determined by reflector size, the bigger the more throw. But also LED size in relation to reflector size, hence why the XP-G2 works well here. This means, an XP-G2 will out throw an XM-L2 but make lower lumen output. So a smaller tighter hotspot and less bright spill beam, but it will light stuff up further away.


    So when you want compact, it really comes down to how compact. The smaller the less throw it will have, but obviously the more pocket friendly it will be.


    Currently Olight are the only people offering de-domed LEDs (or the new domeless HI XP-L) as standard, so if you want to go down this route, then you're choice is limited. The M2X and M3XS are compact for their ability, but aren't what I'd call pocket friendly lights.


    Just to spice it up a bit, I also believe you don't need to spend massive amounts of money to get quality products that perform well. It's true that sometimes you get what you pay for, but it's also very easy to over pay for something too.

    I'll start right at the far end of the spectrum.

    This is very compact, puts out 800 lumens+ and throw very well if you de-dome (very very easy to do yourself).

    It's called a Zuesray (one in the middle):


    It's not a throw king, but for something this size it throws very well:


    vinhn will sell you one for something like $75+, but there is no need, you can get one from dealmetic.com for under $10 delivered!


    Another option well worth considering is an XP-G2 C8. The XinTD from Int'l Outdoors is very well made, has lots of choice for tint/driver and is still pocket-able.

    http://intl-outdoor.com/xintd-c8-v5-...ght-p-789.html
    I'm as much Magaholic as flashaholic

  21. #21
    *Flashaholic* KevinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    At World's End
    Posts
    5,866

    Default Re: Looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650. Fenix TK32 or...?

    Quote Originally Posted by CelticCross74 View Post
    M2X run times are extended a good bit with the extender and 2x18650. Still no matter what mode it is in it still throws its laser beam profile. Having to use two hands to change modes sucks though but at least strobe is accessible from the tail. Run 2x3600mah 18650 in both my M2X and M3X. Run times are Fing outstanding. Light comes in a sweet plastic case with foam fit cut outs for everything if you ever want to store it its a sweet package would be nicer if Olight included the extender that you have to buy separately. Ive read on this forum that the M2X has switched over to the XP-L emitter Idk if this is true or not. You will love this light. Keep us posted
    Updates! Yes, compact is relative, it's hard to quantify without my frame of reference. Likewise throw is also hard to quantify without reference, I know my SRTH is crazy, but I have no way of measuring it against another light until I see it in person. Thank you, again, to everybody in this thread for all your recommendations. Even if I didn't pick them, researching them helped me work out exactly what I want.

    I came across an Olight M2X at a local lighting systems dealer, and they are awesome folks, they let me play with it, and instantly I knew - that's what I was looking for. The beam is very much like that of my old SRTH, and really, it increases my respect for the SRTH so much more. Like tons more. Because Surefire had their throw king more than 15 years ago, and the SRTH throws a very similar laser-like beam.

    As the successor to the SRTH on my watch, I think the Olight is going to do wonderfully. That having been said, the incumbent did not go easily; the SRTH puts up an ultra-competitive fight and I think it's even slightly MORE powerful when the Olight is in the 250 lumen mode. (SRTH has XP-G, 9V, 1.5A, I put it together at the time I was still modding)

    Of course, the Surefire semi-custom is no XP-L dedomed, plus I need a smaller light (relative to my 3-cell Surefire) that runs on 18650s with a more current emitter. I'm glad I chose this one, because the beam pattern mirrors exactly what I had in mind - the smaller 400-meter throw lights wouldn't have done as well.

    I can confirm the M2X has officially gone to the XP-L, and I probably shouldn't call it de-domed; it ships from the factory already dome-less, as Cree's datasheet explains, it is designed for manufacturers who wish to create their own optics. I received the XP-L version.
    Celebrating the ROP.. 5 years of history

  22. #22
    Flashaholic* BLUE LED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,903

    Default Re: Looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650. Fenix TK32 or...?

    I am going to buy the Olight M23, as my new compact single 18650 thrower.

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Valley Forge, Pa.
    Posts
    5,948

    Default Re: Looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650. Fenix TK32 or...?

    lol!! Zuesray dealmetric compared to Vinh!!,post #20. You can not compare the output of ANY stock light compared to his modded version,well,,you can compare it but it never comes close!

  24. #24

    Default Re: Looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650. Fenix TK32 or...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capolini View Post
    lol!! Zuesray dealmetric compared to Vinh!!,post #20. You can not compare the output of ANY stock light compared to his modded version,well,,you can compare it but it never comes close!
    Well you can if you actually know anything about torches. Sure, some of the stuff he does on other lights improves output, but when the stock Zeusray goes pretty much direct drive in High and will pull 4.56amps, there isn't a huge amount you can do, except lower resistance in the rest of the torch to get as much of that current to the LED as possible.

    100% stock Zeusray with a Samsung 25R:
    I'm as much Magaholic as flashaholic

  25. #25

    Default Re: ZeusRay

    Zeusray (earlier aluminum version) seems to be an interesting cheap zoomie light, but it likely does not have the heat management electronics. Some lights limit the output for x number of seconds, others have complicated heat management electronics installed, some lights manage heat better than others. This information comes from reading this forum, specs, some posted heat/time/output related graphs, please correct me if I am wrong.

  26. #26
    Flashaholic* BLUE LED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,903

    Default Re: ZeusRay

    Eagletac S200C2 XP-L HI or wait for the Fenix TK32 XP-L HI

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •