Looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650. Fenix TK32 or...?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me stir the pot here, I'm looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650 and under 300 grams weight. :) oh, and about 800 lumens. It's awesome to be able to ask for ROP power levels in something pocketable these days! :D

Much as I love my SRTH, for those who remember it, it's getting a little old. The Fenix TK61 looked good, but is too big for my needs. The TK32 looks pretty good, the color LEDs would be fun to play with for about 5 minutes but I don't find them essential - I was never really an A2 Aviator person, apart from the saga with the black A2 (which had white LEDs as I recall)

I already have plenty of flood lights in every size, so this light can be a thrower. I prefer a pocket clip but will live without one.

So.. TK32 - or something else?

Last edited:

Eagles1181

Newly Enlightened
I was looking for something similar and settled on the Eagletac S200C2. Slightly lighter that the TK32, slightly less throw and a fair bit cheaper. It also does come with a pocket clip.

Eagle

Amelia

Enlightened
Olight M2X-UT. 810m of throw on 1 x 18650

He did say "compact"... I guess the M2X-UT is compact to some people, I think it's freakin' huge! :)

For true compact, or at least "coat pocketable" lights, the EagleTac S200C2 (or Vihn modded version), the Armytek Predator (and Predator Pro), Olight M22 Warrior, and soon to be released Olight M23 Javelot are all decent 300-400 meter throwers. EagleTac is also releasing some new compact throwers with dedomed emitters, including the T25C2 and G25-something (I forget). Should be out soon, but get one fast while you can, from what I've read they aren't making many of them. I'm probably going for a T25C2, depending on the throw spec. I'm still looking for a true pocketable (non-clarinet form factor) 400 meter thrower, maybe by dedoming the emitter EagleTac will finally hit that "sweet spot".

Then, of course, there's the DEFT - but who can afford that? :)

Last edited:

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I just thought since he mentioned the TK32, the M2X is not much larger.

Amelia

Enlightened
Well I just thought since he mentioned the TK32, the M2X is not much larger.

True. I think everyone has their own definition of "compact". I use an AA light (EagleTac D25A) as my keychain light, so I'm really not one to be talking "compact"! :)

Seriously, though - I can't imagine carrying anything much larger than the S200C2 - it's on the edge of "too big" for my tastes. When I think "compact", I'm thinking no larger than Nitecore SRT5 or EagleTac T25C2.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
First-the TK32 is a first rate fairly compact thrower. The beam out of it is awesome. The colored LED's are actually usable. Comes with a solid sheath. BUT as has been mentioned above the M2X is barely any bigger at all. Its when you order the extension tube that it gets a tad on the big side. I have both lights and love them both but when it comes down to it the M2X has over 3 times the throw of the TK32. TK32 has 40000 candela the M2X has been tested here on the forum to over 196,000 candela it is a freaking laser. Mode switching is totally different between the two lights that may be an issue. The TK32 has all the controls in two buttons on the tail. With the M2X you need to use both hands to go through the modes my turning the head back and forth which can be a PIA but the trade off for the M2X 800 meter range is worth it. Tint out of the TK32 is CW and the beam is strong. Tint out of the M2X is pretty darn neutral. The width of the beam profiles are almost the same with the M2X being a bit wider. The M2X is more expensive but its not THAT much more expensive. M2X comes with a really well done sheath. Go M2X man the thing is unreal.

Mountain

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking for the same thing Kevin, and have it down to the Eagletac TX25C2 for now. Uses a XM-L2. Great throw for its size. If I find something else I'll post it up. Good luck!

jak

Enlightened
I second nominations for EagleTac TX25C2. Fantastic size! I'd still have mine if it weren't for its lame (my opinion) interface.
http://www.eagletac.com/html/tx25c2/index.html

tx25c2-02.jpg

TCY

Enlightened
+1 to EagleTac TX25C2, 16k lux in 12 cm length with 1180lm output, can't go wrong with that. But if you want some extra throw and can settle down for a tad bigger size of a light, check out the Armytek Viking Pro V3 XP-L. According to their data it has 1100 OTF lumens and a beam distance of 370m, with a 15.4 cm length.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Let me stir the pot here, I'm looking for a compact thrower, 1x18650 and under 300 grams weight. :) oh, and about 800 lumens. It's awesome to be able to ask for ROP power levels in something pocketable these days! :D

Much as I love my SRTH, for those who remember it, it's getting a little old. The Fenix TK61 looked good, but is too big for my needs. The TK32 looks pretty good, the color LEDs would be fun to play with for about 5 minutes but I don't find them essential - I was never really an A2 Aviator person, apart from the saga with the black A2 (which had white LEDs as I recall)

I already have plenty of flood lights in every size, so this light can be a thrower. I prefer a pocket clip but will live without one.

So.. TK32 - or something else?

Under 300 g and 800 Lumens FOR HOW LONG?

Without a lot of (heavy) heatsinking, single 18650 lights tend to not be able to maintain 800 L due to heat management issues. IE: They might have a turbo mode, etc, that gives them an INITIAL 1,200 - 800 L of OTF lumens, etc....but many strat to throttle that down in as little as 30 seconds, with few going longer than about 5 minutes or so.

They then step down to some lower output, which could be as little as half the turbo output, etc.

So, 800 on turbo, and then lower is OK, and, if so, how MUCH lower is OK, and, how long do you need these modes to last?

:D

Capolini

Banned
I also agree that the M2X would be a good choice. If money is not an object You could also put a "VN" after it for ~ 290/300Kcd.

I also have the TX25C2vn. It is an awesome light w/ 80Kcd+ :thumbsup:

DSC_2020_zpse39491d4.jpg

M2X Stock VS M2Xvn W/ U3 PDTc Direct Drive (Both 4 mode driver and single mode only are direct drive)

Obviously!!,,TX25C2vn on Left!

Strivevn006_zps1157547c.jpg

M2Xvn next to M22 STOCK

M22M2X003_zpsd3384193.jpg

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
First-the TK32 is a first rate fairly compact thrower. The beam out of it is awesome. The colored LED's are actually usable. Comes with a solid sheath. BUT as has been mentioned above the M2X is barely any bigger at all. Its when you order the extension tube that it gets a tad on the big side. I have both lights and love them both but when it comes down to it the M2X has over 3 times the throw of the TK32. TK32 has 40000 candela the M2X has been tested here on the forum to over 196,000 candela it is a freaking laser. Mode switching is totally different between the two lights that may be an issue. The TK32 has all the controls in two buttons on the tail. With the M2X you need to use both hands to go through the modes my turning the head back and forth which can be a PIA but the trade off for the M2X 800 meter range is worth it. Tint out of the TK32 is CW and the beam is strong. Tint out of the M2X is pretty darn neutral. The width of the beam profiles are almost the same with the M2X being a bit wider. The M2X is more expensive but its not THAT much more expensive. M2X comes with a really well done sheath. Go M2X man the thing is unreal.

Firstly, thank you to everybody who has replied to this thread! :)

Brief bit of background: for about ten years now my favorite thrower has been the Surefire SRTH, it's very much a benchmark light. Very broadly speaking, there are three very large (broad brush) 'generations' of SF lights (IMHO, speaking just for myself): the true classic first generation lights, like the 3P, 12ZM, and other rarities lost in the mists of time. The second gen is the one we know and love so well here on CPF, things like the 6P, C2, E2e, M-series, which gradually evolved into what we see today, 3rd gen, mainly LED. The SRTH is one of the crazy cool awesome things from the first gen: The Short Rim Turbohead, as they call it. Rare as heck, even when I got in, I was buying discontinued new-old-stock.

Originally, the SRTH was meant to be paired with a rare N2? lamp.. If I recall correctly, my memory is fading just as fast. I typically ran mine with the MN15 or MN16, then later built a handcrafted XP-G dropin that gives me about 250 lumens with utterly INSANE throw, with the tiny die size of the XP-G in that massive head. I have no way of quantitatively measuring this though, so I can't compare against any of the spec sheets, all I know is that it is NUTS, laser like, as some have described. It out-threw the KT-series 2nd-gen turboheads easily, and weighed less. OK, history lesson over!

I just measured mine, it has a 63mm diameter, it is not a small light. I have been reading on the various recommendations here, and I've made a decision to skip the smaller lights since I am prepared to tolerate a reasonably large front end - now you know why :)

TK32, 52mm diameter, 400m
Eagletac S200C2, 47mm diameter, 381m
Olight M2X-UT, 63mm diameter (intriguing!), 810m
SRTH, 63mm diameter, unknown
Fenix UC45, 40mm diameter, 257m - I have one, and I realize I might like a bit longer throw
Fenix TK61, 96mm diameter, 824m - this is getting like Way Too Big.. just for comparison

So, sandwiched in between the UC45's 257m throw, wanting more, and given that I'm prepared to live with a light up to 63mm diameter.... I think the Olight is a winner.

As for 1K lumens.. I have seen the discharge graphs and I'm aware of the stepdowns, Fenix does that too. :) Still, 650 out the front sustained is pretty alright. Fenix has a longer time-before-stepdown, but lower sustained output. interesting tradeoff. I think the TK61 is pretty much the only one that will run 1K lumens continuously, but its size is huge, it's even bigger than my TK75, which I thought was substantial already.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
M2X run times are extended a good bit with the extender and 2x18650. Still no matter what mode it is in it still throws its laser beam profile. Having to use two hands to change modes sucks though but at least strobe is accessible from the tail. Run 2x3600mah 18650 in both my M2X and M3X. Run times are Fing outstanding. Light comes in a sweet plastic case with foam fit cut outs for everything if you ever want to store it its a sweet package would be nicer if Olight included the extender that you have to buy separately. Ive read on this forum that the M2X has switched over to the XP-L emitter Idk if this is true or not. You will love this light. Keep us posted

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
:)

Nice location by the way.

Jack Sparrow, the scene on the boat where he's losing it, surrounded by the white crabs that will hopefully carry the boat to the shore. Maybe with the Olight I can signal my crew better :D

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Firstly, thank you to everybody who has replied to this thread! :)

Brief bit of background: for about ten years now my favorite thrower has been the Surefire SRTH, it's very much a benchmark light. Very broadly speaking, there are three very large (broad brush) 'generations' of SF lights (IMHO, speaking just for myself): the true classic first generation lights, like the 3P, 12ZM, and other rarities lost in the mists of time. The second gen is the one we know and love so well here on CPF, things like the 6P, C2, E2e, M-series, which gradually evolved into what we see today, 3rd gen, mainly LED. The SRTH is one of the crazy cool awesome things from the first gen: The Short Rim Turbohead, as they call it. Rare as heck, even when I got in, I was buying discontinued new-old-stock.

Originally, the SRTH was meant to be paired with a rare N2? lamp.. If I recall correctly, my memory is fading just as fast. I typically ran mine with the MN15 or MN16, then later built a handcrafted XP-G dropin that gives me about 250 lumens with utterly INSANE throw, with the tiny die size of the XP-G in that massive head. I have no way of quantitatively measuring this though, so I can't compare against any of the spec sheets, all I know is that it is NUTS, laser like, as some have described. It out-threw the KT-series 2nd-gen turboheads easily, and weighed less. OK, history lesson over!

I just measured mine, it has a 63mm diameter, it is not a small light. I have been reading on the various recommendations here, and I've made a decision to skip the smaller lights since I am prepared to tolerate a reasonably large front end - now you know why :)

TK32, 52mm diameter, 400m
Eagletac S200C2, 47mm diameter, 381m
Olight M2X-UT, 63mm diameter (intriguing!), 810m
SRTH, 63mm diameter, unknown
Fenix UC45, 40mm diameter, 257m - I have one, and I realize I might like a bit longer throw
Fenix TK61, 96mm diameter, 824m - this is getting like Way Too Big.. just for comparison

So, sandwiched in between the UC45's 257m throw, wanting more, and given that I'm prepared to live with a light up to 63mm diameter.... I think the Olight is a winner.

As for 1K lumens.. I have seen the discharge graphs and I'm aware of the stepdowns, Fenix does that too. :) Still, 650 out the front sustained is pretty alright. Fenix has a longer time-before-stepdown, but lower sustained output. interesting tradeoff. I think the TK61 is pretty much the only one that will run 1K lumens continuously, but its size is huge, it's even bigger than my TK75, which I thought was substantial already.

Some info that might help out.

For throw, you'll either need to look at a de-domed LED or a smaller LED such as an XP-G2. Or both if you want pure throw.

The thing is, lumens are a bit like torque with car engines, more is usually good. But doesn't really tell the whole story. And as a rule, you can get more lux/throw by going for a lower lumen output. That's because something like an XP-G2 is smaller than an XM-L2, so it's lumen output will be lower for a given amp rating.

Throw is then determined by reflector size, the bigger the more throw. But also LED size in relation to reflector size, hence why the XP-G2 works well here. This means, an XP-G2 will out throw an XM-L2 but make lower lumen output. So a smaller tighter hotspot and less bright spill beam, but it will light stuff up further away.

So when you want compact, it really comes down to how compact. The smaller the less throw it will have, but obviously the more pocket friendly it will be.

Currently Olight are the only people offering de-domed LEDs (or the new domeless HI XP-L) as standard, so if you want to go down this route, then you're choice is limited. The M2X and M3XS are compact for their ability, but aren't what I'd call pocket friendly lights.

Just to spice it up a bit, I also believe you don't need to spend massive amounts of money to get quality products that perform well. It's true that sometimes you get what you pay for, but it's also very easy to over pay for something too.

I'll start right at the far end of the spectrum.

This is very compact, puts out 800 lumens+ and throw very well if you de-dome (very very easy to do yourself).

It's called a Zuesray (one in the middle):

It's not a throw king, but for something this size it throws very well:

vinhn will sell you one for something like $75+, but there is no need, you can get one from dealmetic.com for under $10 delivered!

Another option well worth considering is an XP-G2 C8. The XinTD from Int'l Outdoors is very well made, has lots of choice for tint/driver and is still pocket-able.

http://intl-outdoor.com/xintd-c8-v5-xpg2-s2-multioption-18650-flashlight-p-789.html