Pelican L1

Avix

Newly Enlightened
wondering through one of my favorite local stores the other day I came across (GASP), a Pelican L1. (around here, Garrity, Ray-O-Vac and Maglight are the only flashlights known to man). I have been looking for something like this light for in car use. I searched for comments and reviews, nothing. any comments on this light?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO its the battery that puts me off... Else you're right, the P-L1 a nice and handy little light. If you're looking for something small, try either the Infinity Ultra or Ultra G (from Countycomm) or the Arc AA and put in a Lithium AA, and you've got a long lasting car light. Personally, I'd rather have my Inova X5t in the car glove box anytime... Or the Inova 24/7 seems like a pretty good choice too...

Deanster

Enlightened
Nice light, great size/form factor, very sturdy, easy to use, good beam for your use, terrible terrible batteries.

IMHO, it's effectively a disposable, because by the time you track down and purchase four LR4 alkiline coin batteries... well, let's just say I'd never actually do this.

Prices vary widely - at $10 or so, it's a good deal even if you never replace the batteries. Closer to $15/20, it's not such a great deal.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been happy with mine, but like every one says, batteries will be the trick. I have a post in the "Electronics forum" about trying different batteries, but haven't found a cheap one that works yet(without cutting some plastic).
I don't use it all the time, it is a back-up light I keep on my slingpack.

Blades

paulr

Flashaholic
If you want a cheap, durable, long-running plastic LED light for your slingpack (um, what's a slingpack?), try the UKE 2AAA eLED which is $10.00 from Countycomm. If you want something really lightweight and cheap, they also have those coin cell lights at $1.00 each (but you have to buy 20). Also, Texas Tactical Supply has the CMG Sonic (sort of a cheap and cheesy version of the Arc AAA) for $11.95. The Infinity/Infinity Ultra is much more solid, but is bigger and heavier, weighing more than even the UKE 2AAA.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Umm... a slingpack is a kinda backpack with only one shoulder strap. I have a few of them. I seem to have bought 3 or 4 when different stores had them marked down. I have 1 from "Old Navy", 2 from "The Gap", and 1 from "Structure".
I think "Oakley" makes one also, but it is $100.00 or something like that. Here is a link to the "Oakley": www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/packs%20main/oakley_sandbag.htm

Hope this helps.
The L1 will be a backup to my Inova X5, and Photon 3. All carried in my pack.

Blades

paulr

Flashaholic
Ok, a pretty big pack then, not a tiny little phone pouch or anything like that. An AA or AAA light should be fine. I wouldn't bother with the L1.

Batterystation sells LR44-sized cells at $3.00 for a ten-pack. I bought some for my old calculator and put them in and it doesn't work, but I don't know if it's the batteries or the calculator itself that is to blame.

Avix

Newly Enlightened
well darn, I must have missed it when I looked for it on your site LED, some interesting and usefull points. as it so happens, I have a bag full (10 or 15 X 3 packs)of LR44 batteries and can get more.

decisions decisions.

edit note:

I just saw them forsale on one site for $43.25 US

methinks not!

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Deanster said:Nice light, great size/form factor, very sturdy, easy to use, good beam for your use, terrible terrible batteries. IMHO, it's effectively a disposable, because by the time you track down and purchase four LR4 alkiline coin batteries... well, let's just say I'd never actually do this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good quality alkaline LR-44s can be bought from Blackfeather Electronics -10 on a card for $1.00 U.S.

-Also avail. on Ebay for about 20 cents each. ($2.00-card of 10).

A superior alternative is the SR-44 -the Silver Oxide version (200mAh vs. 140mAh) 50 cents each fron Hosfelt Electronics.

Avix

Newly Enlightened
hmmm, now I'm going to have to revise my opinion...

thanks Vcal

the store wants $16.something + tax, if I buy online and include $5.00 - $10.00 shipping. hmmmmm.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Avix said:
the store wants $16.something + tax, if I buy online and include $5.00 - $10.00 shipping. hmmmmm.

[/ QUOTE ]
-For clarification:
The Ebay LR-44s-$2.00 would be the net cost for the card of 10 -including the shipping.

(Averaged net cost taken from several auctions).

paulr

Flashaholic
Avix, there's really no point to buying an L1 for use in a car. Its purpose is if you want something tiny and waterproof to put on your key chain. For a glovebox light, get something bigger and brighter.

Avix

Newly Enlightened
vcal, I was refering to the light, not the batteries, and I'm one of those people who refuse to use E-Bay for anything.

I'm really thinking that way, if I can ever find one localy the Darcy 1 AAA or AA I think will fill the bill, (it's mostly for things like being able to look in the mailbox in the winter, (after dark), and if I need a small handheld for looking for things in the car or around the car (for any more, there is the Legend LX, the 5D Maglight, and a coleman 1,000,000 spot flood, and when I get a new battery and wal wart, a Costco Banana).

and any excuse to pick up a new light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

illumiGeek

Enlightened
My keychain light uses LR44 batteries, and I get them from a local "99 Cent" store for... $0.99 for a card of 10. Note that the AG13 and/or 357 size are all pretty much the same thing. Hmmm... I wonder if they have them at the "98 Cent" store that's on the next street? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deanster

Enlightened
Good to know that the LR44's are so cheap - I'll admit I'd just assumed that they were your usual coin battery - sold for a couple bucks each in single packs, and hadn't actually gone looking for them.

Still probably require a dedicated trip, or I'll never remember to get them...