• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS : RARE customized Surefire SRTH, D3 body, XP-G throw king.. for those who know :D

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, this is it, never thought I'd see the day when I chose to let this beautiful collector's item go. As I wrote in another post, very broadly speaking, there are three very large (broad brush) 'generations' of SF lights (IMHO, speaking just for myself): the true classic first generation lights, like the 3P, 12ZM, and other rarities lost in the mists of time. The second gen is the one we know and love so well here on CPF, things like the 6P, C2, E2e, M-series, which gradually evolved into what we see today, 3rd gen, mainly LED.

The SRTH is one of the crazy cool awesome things from the first gen: The Short Rim Turbohead, as they call it. Rare as heck, even when I got in, I was buying discontinued new-old-stock.

Originally, the SRTH was meant to be paired with a rare N2? lamp.. If I recall correctly, my memory is fading just as fast. I typically ran mine with the MN15 or MN16, then later built a handcrafted XP-G dropin that gives me about 300 lumens with utterly INSANE throw, with the tiny die size of the XP-G in that massive head. (you will receive this drop-in with the light) I have no way of quantitatively measuring this though, so I can't compare against any of the spec sheets, all I know is that it is NUTS, laser like, as some have described. It out-threw the KT-series 2nd-gen turboheads easily, and weighed less. The beam is truly laser like, and became even MORE so with the XP-G, compared to the incan lamps.

But if you are actually in the market for this rarity, you already know its backstory. If you aren't in the market, you are still welcome to enjoy my retelling of its history, and photos. :)

Today, we talk about modern throw king lights, and even though I've had the opportunity to try some of the best of them, I feel that I'm lucky that the SRTH delivers a beam that seems to stand up with the best of them! There's a reason why it's so loved.

This SRTH is in beautiful condition, rarely carried (the downside to owning such a prized artifact ;)), never dropped. Over time, it has accumulated some dust in the bezel and reflector which is impossible to clean (one would destroy the reflector in the process), and a couple of minor surface imperfections in the Lexan, surprisingly from the INTERIOR side, but they do not affect the beam quality. Besides, one gets this light for crazy throw, and not for white walling anyway. In fact, there is a donut IF you go extremely close to a wall, maybe about 3ft, because of the reflector design. It's not meant for that.

It is paired to an equally nice D3 Defender (yes, before the E-series Defenders) 3-cell, 2 x 17500 body, with a black Type II tailcap: perfect color matching throughout. D3 is unbored. Dropin runs on 9V.

The only flaw is that the tailcap is now a momentary-only and does not click anymore, seems the click switch I installed a few years back gave out. The repair is very easy but I don't really have the time to deal with shipping parts over (3-4 weeks) to repair the light - the new owner can either supply their own tailcap, OR get a click kit from Oveready. Simply unscrew the old click assembly, which can be done with needlenose pliers and a minimum of pressure, and screw in a new click assembly - shouldn't be more than 5 minutes work. I suppose that's the way it is with great classics, they do require a little bit of work ;) (you do not need to 'gut' the tailcap or hammer anything, I have already done that during the first conversion - you just need to change the assembly.)

(Any P or C-series switch will do: the D3 body is fully parts compatible. D3's used to come with the same hex bezel of the 6P/C2/C3 in matching black. Bezel is not included; long gone. The SRTH IS the bezel :D)

PHOTOS: CLICK HERE

Looking at $400 (Was: $450) for the whole package, Paypal, shipping, and flawed tailcap all included in the deal. No hurry to sell.. this light has waited a very very long time.. and can wait a while more :) yeah.. it's a little bit expensive, but it was already pretty pricey the day I got it :p

Last edited:

FrankFlash

Newly Enlightened
What a beauty!!! Thanks for showing. Unfortuately not within my budget. But it encourages me to get a LED mod for my old 9N Turbohead. Good luck with your sales and congrats to the buyer!
Regards Frank

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a beauty!!! Thanks for showing. Unfortuately not within my budget. But it encourages me to get a LED mod for my old 9N Turbohead. Good luck with your sales and congrats to the buyer!
Regards Frank

Thanks! :) and yes, if you can, put together a drop-in with a small-die LED, perhaps today's XP-L in either version, to maximize the throw of the beautiful old Turboheads. Gives them a whole new lease of life. There are also many talented modders here in the community who can help if you don't have the time or the tools to DIY it.

Back on topic for the general audience... SRTH still available. They don't come by frequently, so..
I'm also willing to hear you out if you've got anything interesting, feel free to PM me! :)

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last, one-and-only, final price drop to $400. take it as the price of the not-so-perfect tailcap (which an intrepid flashaholic managed to temporarily unstick a couple of days ago. I'm not quite convinced it'll last though.).

It's alright if it doesn't find a new home, maybe I am meant to keep this treasure :) my precioussssss... (no, not really)

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks cenz! I enjoyed seeing your beamshots from your signature thread. Lots of good memories, and good call on using the N62 with IMRs, that monster bulb always used to trip PTCs on normal CR123s because it ran so hot.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...0Meters-(feat.-N62-HO-M6R-HO-M3T-LF-D36(R2)MF)

I'm not making any specific claims to the throw of the SRTH, but I recently acquired an Olight M2X, whose own specs claim 800+ meters, and the two lights share a great deal of similarity to the beam, including the intense center spot and a generous amount of spill. I wouldn't be surprised if the SRTH can reach pretty far, definitely it seems more like the M2X than the "400 meter" lights.

Of course, you could buy an Olight M2X. But where is the fun in that.. oh wait, I bought one, I should know ;) (no shame, guys. No shame at all. Seriously, it's a nice light, especially if your budget doesn't extend to a SRTH.). And I like it. But owning a little piece of SF legend and history is pretty cool too.

Let me know if you guys are keen....if not, I might just end up having both the Olight and the SRTH and the best of all worlds :nana:

cenz

Enlightened
Hi Kevin,

Now a day, some LED throwers (with compact size) can beats SRTH and even 3"T in a affordable price. But for modular approach, I also love KT2/T/SRTH format.

I had borrowed M2X from friend, it is a compact thrower, like a stage spotlight. Compare with SRTH, because SRTH is orange peel instead of mirror finish, so I'm not sure which is the best in optics for throw.

I "LEGOed" a light using SRTH with LF XPG2 S2 by 2x16650, it is a low-power config but safety for lexan lens. Anyway, it's a always sexy and legend torch in my mind.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Kevin,

Now a day, some LED throwers (with compact size) can beats SRTH and even 3"T in a affordable price. But for modular approach, I also love KT2/T/SRTH format.

I had borrowed M2X from friend, it is a compact thrower, like a stage spotlight. Compare with SRTH, because SRTH is orange peel instead of mirror finish, so I'm not sure which is the best in optics for throw.

I "LEGOed" a light using SRTH with LF XPG2 S2 by 2x16650, it is a low-power config but safety for lexan lens. Anyway, it's a always sexy and legend torch in my mind.

Indeed.. there's always something special about that series for those of us who were there. :)

The SRTH was orange peel to deal with the filament of the incandescent lamps it was designed for. It's showing its age, in the sense that it was developed long before the current generation of dome-less LEDs which the M2X certainly takes advantage of, I have the XP-L domeless M2X.

Nice! Thanks for reminding me that LumensFactory makes drop-ins. It looks like I will be keeping this SRTH (lack of interest - although if anyone is still keen, let me know! I haven't officially withdrawn it yet!) so it might be worth investing in a LF drop-in once I make that decision.