A Pelican in the Outback

oupa

Newly Enlightened
OK here in the Australian outback we are a bit behind you blokes, mate.
Some of the u-beaut fancy gear takes a while to get here.
Got computers and all, but like this one of mine is one of them older models…runs on kerosene and you have to hand crank it to get it going!
Flashlights?
Naw, only torches here - those red plastic ones from China that melts in direct sunlight.
That is until this mate of mine, BC0311 he calls himself here (wonder why – could be because his real name is Ignatius Pembroke Mullins-Roux and with such a name, I would also call myself BC0311) anyhow, this mate sent me this flashlight called a Pelican M6.
So I dropped a couple of them little batteries in and went outside into the night.
Let me tell you, the night here in the outback can get dark and I mean real dark – no towns or houses or cars around – just the bush.
So, there I was in the dark outback night and I turned this Pelican flashlight thing on.
HOLY SH!T
I am sure my nearest neighbour Jack, who lives a couple of miles to the north of me, must have been woken by the light – even though I shined it to the south.
What is for sure is those two fornicating koalas I caught in the beam will be sterile for life!
This is some fancy light, so thanks mate – I am most pleased with it and all.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oupa,
Welcome to CPF!! Ahh... is that a glint of flashaholic-ism I see coming out of Woop-Woop (spelling)? Good on ya mate! Glad to see you're being 'introduced' to our addictive habit with a nice light (well done BC0311!). The P-M6 is indeed a nice light, and you'll need a Surefire G2 to compare beams with, and thats probably just the beginning! Every light you see/get from now on is just gonna get more and more expensive... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

What you'll probably be looking into next is some LED lights that run on the same batteries your P-M6 is using (CR123 or 123A) so that you can just put them in there to deplete the batteries completely when they're too weak to light up your P-M6. Something like a Inova X5t is my suggestion.

Well, congrats on joining the family here, pray have mercy on the koalas... aren't they supposed to be endangered or something? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif ANyway, enjoy your stay here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Oupa,

I read your autobiography on the website, nearly brought a tear to my eye. Seems as if I too can remember those times and I'm only 46! I really enjoyed reading your piece about reviving the knife handle. Of course over her in the politically correct UK, knife ownership is seen as a thing only deviants and murderers would enjoy. Fortunately I'm neither but I really admire your craftmanship......and your sense of humour! Oh and BTW the M6 is a jolly good light!

Doug

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Oupa /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Glad to hear you like that light.

Fellahs, I am fortunate to have a few of Oupa's works of art. My favorite EDC pocketknife is a 1965-69 "USA period" Case '47 pattern Stockman which Dirk (Oupa is Afrikaans for Grandfather) rehandled in Aussie Cedar, stippled the bolsters, and embedded Gold and Copper nuggets into the wood. He jigged the wood and dyed it "Tobacco Brown". I call it my "Tobacco 47". It just feels good to rub my thumb over the nuggets.

I love how he takes old, worn out, broken, or just plain-jane ugly knives and with heart and art gives them a second chance at life.

Here is one that he is giving me and will be my horse riding belt knife...right next to my Pelican M6 in a matching sheath.
standard.jpg

Now Dirk, you shouldn't ought to have gone and told these fellahs my real name. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I think the next light for Oupa ought to be a mod. Maybe a hot-rodded Lux III PR in a Pelican head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Britt (aka: Pemby)

Latest posts