Why a flashlight need SOS mode?

daniel0315

Newly Enlightened
Let's have a discuss why a flashlight need SOS mode.
Some one believe in it is annoying.
its an annoying add on, what are the chances youll need it.. and what are the chances some one who sees it will know what it is? (from other forum)
Other think it is useful. It will help us when I we lost or meet some other problem.
What do you think so?
Do you consider this problem when you choose the flashlight?
Best regards,

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have rarely used one, but I am neutral as to whether they should be on a flashlight or not. It's not a deal-breaker for me.

I see two uses:

1) Attracting the attention of first responders that have been summoned, when there is lots of light pollution around.

2) Trying to find someone in a huge crowd at night is made easier when you have told them on the cellphone that you have a strobe mode going.

Please always keep in mind that certain individuals with Epilepsy can have seizures induced by strobes, so reason #2 above is morally problematic.

Berneck1

Enlightened
I don't mind it as long as it is buried and I can't accidentally activate it. You never know if you will need it. Chances are you will never once use it. However, I think you will be glad you had it if you needed it. Whether people know what it is or not, it will attract the attention of searchers.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Its an odd question as to what the use of an SOS signal is for...its self explanatory. :D

Its for signaling that you need help....its the international signal of distress.

Will you need it?

If you needed to signal that you needed help, sure...but, hopefully, you won't. Some people carry emergency supplies such as paracord, fire starters, signal mirrors, etc...and never need it. WHY do they carry them? Well, IN CASE they need them. Its like a life insurance policy...you HOPE you didn't need it.

:D

Eagles1181

Newly Enlightened
I like the idea of having a strobe. I think the idea of SOS is gemiki. All the benefits that "SOS" offers can be accomplished by any other strobe. Only place I can see a difference is if you were trying to signal somebody who did not already no you were in trouble. But then the likelihood that they would recognize SOS is unlikely. Personally I wish there was a way to deactivate the blinky on my PD35.

Eagle

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I like the idea of having a strobe. I think the idea of SOS is gemiki. All the benefits that "SOS" offers can be accomplished by any other strobe. Only place I can see a difference is if you were trying to signal somebody who did not already no you were in trouble. But then the likelihood that they would recognize SOS is unlikely. Personally I wish there was a way to deactivate the blinky on my PD35.

Eagle

A search team would recognize SOS, as its an international signal.

I'd bet that if had a flashlight, period, and shined it at a helicoptor searching for you, they'd see your light and investigate.

If I was not probably being searched FOR though...a passing aircraft, etc....would see a light, and, to them, it would just be a camper, etc. If strobing, still, it doesn't mean anyone is in trouble.

SOS though MEANS you need help, and, a passing craft would KNOW you needed help.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd you got stranded on a desert Island, you could leave it signalling away automatically. Better than spelling out SOS with coconuts on the beach. Bet Tom Hanks would have found it handy in castaway

Edit: come to think about it, any one for a run time test on SOS mode?

Last edited:

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strobe, yes. SOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOS, no. Most I've seen do not do SOS, they do the SOSOSOSOSOSOS, which is meaningless.

Berneck1

Enlightened
I believe SOS mode would last longer over strobe or high.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strobe, yes. SOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOS, no. Most I've seen do not do SOS, they do the SOSOSOSOSOSOS, which is meaningless.

Yes because the search crews would have no idea what OSO means. Seriously though, there was one light that I had that was SOSSOS. The time for the six dits I think could be a bit too long although still pretty hard to mistake it for anything else

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe SOS mode would last longer over strobe or high.

Well I tried to get some tail cap draw readings on a L2D just out of curiosity and it is pretty damn hard to do. Looks like it needs to be graphed with a fine resolution.

markr6

Flashaholic
All the SOS modes I've seen are SOOOOOO slow, almost to the point where I feel a person in a plane flying over could mistaken it for some weather anomaly, reflection or just their eyes playing tricks on them.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO flashlights don't need SOS. Unfortunately we are stuck with this being included again and again as light manufacturers seem to think that not having it will mean people won't buy their light.

Even strobe has limited purpose, unless you are a LEO or in the military. Again and again they are added.

Cheap lights are the worst as at least on the better quality lights these modes are usually better hidden so you only get them when you really want them.

The ONLY flashing mode I like is a beacon. I've set this up in a tent to guide me back to it and in a vehicle I've parked off-road again to guide me back.

Using SOS for anything other than attracting rescue in dire circumstances is very bad, and using it to attract a friend in a crowd is not acceptable. Using the light on normal steady output and waving it around will be just as good as using SOS, probably better.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the SOS modes I've seen are SOOOOOO slow, almost to the point where I feel a person in a plane flying over could mistaken it for some weather anomaly, reflection or just their eyes playing tricks on them.

Eagletac has multiple speeds on the same flashlights, in many cases. Slow SOS, and fast. The fast one probably takes under two seconds for the entire sequence.

I do want strobe, but I could take or leave SOS - don't really care. It is very unlikely to be needed (and even if it was needed, there are other options), and not everyone would know what it meant anyway. Strobe is much better at grabbing attention than anything else, in my opinion, and is genuinely useful. Yet another thread about it was started not too long ago, and there are all kinds of examples where strobe came in handy. I have yet to hear ANYONE say SOS was actually useful in a real-world situation.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Eagletac has multiple speeds on the same flashlights, in many cases. Slow SOS, and fast. The fast one probably takes under two seconds for the entire sequence.

I like that. <2 sec is what it should be IMO. Luckily all these modes are well hidden on my lights.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using the light on normal steady output and waving it around will be just as good as using SOS, probably better.

Yes but your arms will get tired and you need to sleep. Which is why I'm now curious as to how long SOS mode runs for. How long do people get lost for these days?

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr Floppy, I'm sure you've done far more searches then I have, so please tell me your experiences where an SOS feature has ever been useful? Also, the SOS features that I've seen (and I'm sure there are many that are different then what I've seen) flash their SOS far to slow, for anyone to have any idea what it is. I'll give you my experiences, as a 36 year Paramedic/Firefighter, the last 30 years fulltime and in my time as a Flight Paramedic (so yes, I've done a search or two, in my time). Never once, nor can I imagine anytime, that SOS would be useful. Strobe yes, SOS no.