How to remove black gunk from Infinity?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
just got a standard infinity, and it has a bunch of sticky black gunk that was apparently spilled into the battery tube. there is some in the threads. it appears to be the same stuff that they use as the "black dot".

what should i do?

im tempted to send it to CMG for a replacement since it may be diffiscult to remove this stuff, and, the led is horribly centered.

Bob

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
If the centering bothers you enough, you can heat the head with a heat gun or a hot blower to soften up the black "glue" and will allow you to better center the LED yourself.

Suggest you wear gloves if you do so and remove the o-ring before heating. I guess the felt pad should also be removed prior to heating but mine was destroyed when I removed it. I just replaced it with one of those circular felt stick-on pads that are used as cushion/non-marring feet for lamps, trophys, shelf doors, etc. Cost a $1 at the hardware store for a sheet of 46pcs of assorted sizes. The 13mm/.5" is the perfect size and I used a hole puncher to punch the hole in it. Just as good as new if not better. I can mail you one if you ever do decide to do it.

Just letting you know that it can be done and not very hard either.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:...it appears to be the same stuff that they use as the "black dot"...

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it have a black dot? If so, where did you get it? I've been looking for one like that in green, but I think they stopped making them that way.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
got it from meridian tactical. it has the blue colored body.

yes, mine did have a black dot of black stuff (i already removed it).

Bob

scott

Enlightened
Yes...I just got a standard Infinity. There is no black dot on the newer ones.

Scott