Recommendations for an AAA LED for the keyring? MUST come on at full power by default

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The collective was truly helpful in helping me find a long throw light recently so I thought I would tap into your combined expertise once again :) I would never have found the Olight M2X on my own if I hadn't listened carefully to the wealth of advice. So here goes....

I'm looking for an AAA LED light for the keyring. We go back a long way, I had that special red Fenix AAA Christmas Special one year - was it 2008 or 2009. Had a Fenix LD01SS, have the E99Ti engraved. Always liked them except for one thing: THEY DON'T COME ON AT HIGH LEVEL. I don't care about being blinded. MORE LUMENSSSSSSS. (the sign of the true addict :p) You're talking to someone who reaches for the 1K lumen light cannons even when it's completely dark. Blinding myself *IS* half the fun!

So I'm really looking for an AAA LED that is at least 100 lumens, comes on at high, has variable power so I can step it down if I want to. I looked at Thrunite but they start in firefly mode too. I'm starting to suspect I may have to go custom? Vinh TiSvn or LD02vn? Yes, I am willing to run IMR. Either way, let me hear your recommendations. Thank you! :)

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
DriverVn can give you 100 lumens as the first mode
Whether you want a clicky or not determines if you want LD02 vs the twisty Stainless Thrunite or the twisty Copper Maratac.
The LD02 weighs 16 grams empty, the Maratac and TiS each weigh 25 grams empty

imo the Maratac has the best reversible pocket clip. The TiS clip is reversible also, but its not quite as secure, and lacks the hole in the end of the clip that makes the Maratac useful as a quick release light from a keychain... I do not know if the LD02 clip is reversible. I find the reversible clip option very valuable, to clip a light to my baseball cap.

IMG_7693.JPG

IMG_7692.JPG

Happy Shopping :)

Last edited:

Phlogiston

Enlightened
An LD02vn with DriverVN installed is a fairly mindboggling thought :)

I do not know if the LD02 clip is reversible.

The stock LD02 clip isn't reversible - it's designed to fit on a smooth, marginally narrower part of the tube in bezel down configuration.

If you don't care about scratching the anodising or getting the clip off again, I've discovered that you can ram an LD01 clip onto the LD02 in bezel up configuration. My EDC LD02 has been fine sitting on my belt with the bezel up, and it works nicely on my baseball cap.

I find the reversible clip option very valuable, to clip a light to my baseball cap.

Me too. 8lm mode turns out to be just right for making sandwiches when the kitchen lights have failed :) and 25lm mode is nice for quick forays into the attic.