Introduction and a L4 question

A

andy091

Cheers all,
My name is Andy and I'm also a Flashaholic. This is my first post and I thought I'd introduce myself with a question. I have a SureFire L4 I use at work. I really like this light a lot, but I'm having a problem with it. The pressure pad (on-switch) is very sensitive. Slightest touch and I have a "negligent light-discharge". Not only embarrasing but also potentially dangerous, ie during a search. Have talked to SureFire customer support. No results there. Is there any way to fix my light?
TIA/Andy

was_jlh

Enlightened
Re: Introduction and a question

Welcome, Andy. If you don't find the answer here, it doesn't exist.

Search this forum for the thread "Problem with new L4 tailswitch". It may help.

Joe

A

andy091

Joe, Thank you very much. Seems I'll have to live with my L4 as it is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.
/Andy

was_jlh

Enlightened

Don't give up yet. Several people here have L4's, this may reenergize the topic / brainstorming.

Also, you may want to include "L4" in your topic to stimulate reading.

Joe

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Andy,

Welcome to CPF.

Sometimes the spring in the tail cap of the L4 gets bent to the side. You might try straightening the spring out.

Tom

emann

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
andy091 said:
Cheers all,
My name is Andy and I'm also a Flashaholic. This is my first post and I thought I'd introduce myself with a question. I have a SureFire L4 I use at work. I really like this light a lot, but I'm having a problem with it. The pressure pad (on-switch) is very sensitive. Slightest touch and I have a "negligent light-discharge". Not only embarrasing but also potentially dangerous, ie during a search. Have talked to SureFire customer support. No results there. Is there any way to fix my light?
TIA/Andy

[/ QUOTE ] Welcome and ummm... try loosening the tailcap a little. That is the whole purpose of a LOTC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tombeis

Enlightened
1. Take off click tailcap
2. Replace with twist tailcap.
3. Throw click tailcap as far as you can, preferably over water.

Oh,and welcome.

emann

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Tombeis said:
1. Take off click tailcap
2. Replace with twist tailcap.
3. Throw click tailcap as far as you can, preferably over water.

Oh,and welcome.

[/ QUOTE ] I gather you don't own an L4? No need to throw it out as it twist and/or clicks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Tombeis

Enlightened
I do indeed own an L4. Excellent flashlight when equipped with a twisty tailcap.

I own other Surefire flashlights and Weaponlights with click switch tailcaps and I like them... If they have a shroud around the pushbutton which prevents unintended activation such as the SW-01 and the Z-48 switches.

The click switch on the L-4 needs a shroud. There is too much screwing around with the switch to lock it out/on. If you don't lock out before holstering the L-4 can be activated in the holster and discharge the batteries.

So, I replace the L-4 clicky with a twisty from Brightguy and I am happy.

You will be too.

--------------------
SURFIRE E1w/KL-1, E2e's, E2ew/Kl-1,6P, G2's, G2Z's, L-4, M2's, M3's, M3T M6, 10X Dominator, G2 Weaponlight, M962c Weaponlight, M511B Weaponlight.

H&K Tactical.45ACP, Randall 7 inch Survival, SUREFIRE. My Nitroglycrin Trio. HECKLER&KOCH, RANDALL, SUREFIRE... THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIGHT.

emann

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Tombeis said: The click switch on the L-4 needs a shroud. There is too much screwing around with the switch to lock it out/on. If you don't lock out before holstering the L-4 can be activated in the holster and discharge the batteries.

So, I replace the L-4 clicky with a twisty from Brightguy and I am happy.

You will be too.

--------------------
SURFIRE E1w/KL-1, E2e's, E2ew/Kl-1,6P, G2's, G2Z's, L-4, M2's, M3's, M3T M6, 10X Dominator, G2 Weaponlight, M962c Weaponlight, M511B Weaponlight.

H&K Tactical.45ACP, Randall 7 inch Survival, SUREFIRE. My Nitroglycrin Trio. HECKLER&KOCH, RANDALL, SUREFIRE... THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIGHT.

[/ QUOTE ] For some reason I've never had a problem with my L4 lighting up without me wanting it to and I've carried it everyday in a Ripoffs belt holster for months now. I have the twisty/clickey (Z57 I believe?) tailcap that came on it and it seems easy enough to operate to me. I just loosen it a little and no worries, tighten it some and activation becomes possible with the clickey. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ReynolS

Newly Enlightened
I don't have any problems with mine. As for the dislike of the clicking tailcap, why not just keep it in the "clicked-on" position and twist/untwist as needed?

Scott

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Add the spacer to your stock Z57 and im sure you'll be more than convinced to keep it.

Tombeis

Enlightened
Thanks guys, but I still don't like it. I'm just a bullheaded German I guess.

If any of you are using an SW-02 or a Z47/48 tailcap, you will know what I mean when I say a shroud would improve the Z-57.

If you set the Z-57 on lockout before you holster, then of course it won't turn on in the holster. If you use the light many time a day as I do, and forget the lockout, it's so long batteries.

You will also notice that the lockout on the Z-57 requires more turning to lock out and turn on. I'm getting old. I don't have time(nor the capability) for all that screwing.

I love Surefire products. Been using them since 1989 or there abouts. Can't I have one product I don't like?

I should have upon reflection, left off the "You will be too." on the above post. Why should I be telling you guys what will make you happy?