18650 thrower/spot

Shimmy

Newly Enlightened
Hey fellas,

My father is in need of a new torch for work and asked me to look around for him.

He is in need of a 18650 thrower/spot.
He currently has an eBay focusable one which just died on him (constant use and reasonably harsh environment) which did the job and has used my solarforce XM-L2 U2 but not enough of a spot, and my XPL is probably wider.
Would the smooth reflector make much difference?

So any recommendations on a more spotty drop-in for a solarforce host or another brand entirely?
Something around the size of the solarforce would be great but would be OK to be a bit larger.

Also single mode would be great, but multiple is ok if it has to be.

Something with replaceable parts would also be great, such as the button and glass lens.

Thanks.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are going to use the Solar Force as a host you are not going to get anywhere in the throw department. You will need a much bigger and deeper reflector which means a bigger head. You did not mention your budget but if you are willing to spend on something good and reliable, go with the Malkoff 18650 Hound Dog with XP-L emitter. Simple turn on for high, loosen head for low. Easy peasy.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also mad about the HD 18650, just thought about using a Malkoff M60 drop in, as it's meant to be a thrower as it has an aspheric lens rather than reflector. That's if you can find one. Anyone have any experience of it?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also mad about the HD 18650, just thought about using a Malkoff M60 drop in, as it's meant to be a thrower as it has an aspheric lens rather than reflector. That's if you can find one. Anyone have any experience of it?
Forget it. The M60 is old and outdated. I have one from the Elzetta ZFL-M60 and since it is not that bright and has rings on the spill, I swapped it out for an early batch M61W with a 4500K neutral tint.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy a P60 drop-in module with an XP-E2 driven at 2A. Wrap in copper to ensure snug fit into your Solarforce.

JasonJ

Newly Enlightened
Not sure what the budget is.. if it's not much, look at any of the better C8 style lights. Get a SMO reflector, whatever tint you like in an XML2, and call it a day. 18650, replaceable and moddable parts (including the lens, switch, etc) and puts out a fairly respectable throw for its size. Need more throw, dedome the LED and replace or mod the driver for more current, copper braid the springs and be done with it.

If budget is not an issue, something along the lines of a Fenix Tk32 may fit the bill as well.

What is the job that he does and what sort of distances does he need to shine out to?

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
The C8 light will certainly do the job. If you require more throw, then go for the XP-G2 S2 at just over 3A or XM-L2 U3 for a wider hotspot.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hound Dog 18650 is my vote. Plus then you're just a head and a drop in away from the best p60 host there is if you ever wanted to change things up.