ArmyTek        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peak Eiger without QTC?

Default Peak Eiger without QTC?

Is there a single mode high only Peak Eiger available? No QTC. Works with AAA alkaline producing max output without destroying battery. Run time not important. Thanks.

Default Peak Eiger without QTC?

Just replace the qtc with metal or foil. Or order no QTC from peak or oveready.

Default Re: Peak Eiger without QTC?

I didn't see that option i n Peak website. I will check Overready. Thanks!

You contact peak directly. They can do custom levels too. You may like a single Level #6 for a touch more runtime.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    I didn't see that option i n Peak website. I will check Overready. Thanks!
    We can custom make a lot of options .. way too many list via website ..
    There is a comments section on the order form .. you can note what you would prefer there .. or you can contact me directly via my email .. Robyn2047@yahoo.com or sales@peakledsolutions.net

Best,

Robyn

Flashaholic

Is there a single mode high only Peak Eiger available? No QTC. Works with AAA alkaline producing max output without destroying battery. Run time not important. Thanks.
    We can make any light without the QTC .. there is a comment section in the order process .. make a note that you would like it Non QTC or contact me directly at sales@peakledsolutions.net .. we will take care of it.

Best,

Robyn

Quote Originally Posted by RobynS View Post
    We can make any light without the QTC .. there is a comment section in the order process .. make a note that you would like it Non QTC or contact me directly at sales@peakledsolutions.net .. we will take care of it.

Best,

Robyn
    Or just have me take one apart for you,I seem to be able to kill the QTC with no prior training required!

It seems to me that if you simply remove the QTC material then it will just be a single level full output at whatever the head is designed for?
    Mine sure is that way now that I have lost the QTC blob.

I still can not understand why this QTC thing is being made to seem so complicated?

I can not get a direct answer from anyone that sells the lights about simply getting another QTC piece for the one that I lost?

Why exactly do I need to send the light in to replace a tiny rubber blob?

It sure came out easily enough on its own but Robyn told me it might need machining somehow to replace it,ANYONE?

Flashaholic*

I think she would like you to send in the battery carrier because:

you had trouble before hand
    they want to make sure the QTC pill fits properly
    Last edited by jabe1; 06-21-2015 at 07:11 AM.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    Or just have me take one apart for you,I seem to be able to kill the QTC with no prior training required!

It seems to me that if you simply remove the QTC material then it will just be a single level full output at whatever the head is designed for?
    Mine sure is that way now that I have lost the QTC blob.

I still can not understand why this QTC thing is being made to seem so complicated?

I can not get a direct answer from anyone that sells the lights about simply getting another QTC piece for the one that I lost?

Why exactly do I need to send the light in to replace a tiny rubber blob?

It sure came out easily enough on its own but Robyn told me it might need machining somehow to replace it,ANYONE?
    latest version of QTC may fit differently. my most recent body is a tad longer and it appears that the bore is slightly bigger perhaps for changes in how the pill is installed?

Quote Originally Posted by jabe1 View Post
    I think she would like you to send in the battery carrier because:

you had trouble before hand
    they want to make sure the QTC pill fits properly
    I did not have trouble beforehand.
    The whole assembly came out when I tried to get a look at it so I could know how it went together for another light I am having trouble with.
    The pill came apart and the QTC went missing in that process.
    I want to be able to do this myself for many reasons and I am not ready to send both lights in for such a seemingly small issue.
    I am a Technician and Hobbyist and do not want to have to rely on anyone to keep things going if possible.

I have QTC material coming in that I found elsewhere and I will report back with the results.

What is the highest peak level number representing output that can safely be used with alkaline and lithium primary? In 219 B and XP-G2 neutral what would output of each be at that level? Is there a link showing the keychain model with momentary on plunger? Can that model still be attached to a keychain? If this is the wrong thread for these questions please forgive me and direct me to the right thread? Thanks so much.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    I did not have trouble beforehand.
    The whole assembly came out when I tried to get a look at it so I could know how it went together for another light I am having trouble with.
    The pill came apart and the QTC went missing in that process.
    I want to be able to do this myself for many reasons and I am not ready to send both lights in for such a seemingly small issue.
    I am a Technician and Hobbyist and do not want to have to rely on anyone to keep things going if possible.

I have QTC material coming in that I found elsewhere and I will report back with the results.
    i thought I remembered a thread where you said all you were getting reliably was high or off even before the pill came apart. I think it is in the QTC differences thread.
    -- Albert Einstein

Flashaholic*

What is the highest peak level number representing output that can safely be used with alkaline and lithium primary? In 219 B and XP-G2 neutral what would output of each be at that level? Is there a link showing the keychain model with momentary on plunger? Can that model still be attached to a keychain? If this is the wrong thread for these questions please forgive me and direct me to the right thread? Thanks so much.
    I have or have had a few level 8 lights that I wouldn't hesitate to use Alkalines, or Li primaries in. If there was ever a light that will suffer minimal damage even if the battery leaks, it's a single level Peak.
    -- Albert Einstein

This is an older data sheet for the Eiger, that had been posted on RMSK (not sure if it is still up, though) ...

http://www.em-mgt.com/LED/Product%20...20Nov%2009.pdf

Current emitters are more efficient, but it should give you some idea of output / runtime for various numbered "levels" .

It may also help answer most of your configuration questions, too
    ... is the archimedes peak

The levels are 0 to 8. All are safe, you just get varying runtimes. Technically when you use the momentary you can't attach it to a keychain. However, you can often use a clip under the momentary, so really, you could use a lanyard ring too. The Preon one is a bit wide (the hole) but should function and is cheap and easy to get.

Quote Originally Posted by jabe1 View Post
    I have or have had a few level 8 lights that I wouldn't hesitate to use Alkalines, or Li primaries in. If there was ever a light that will suffer minimal damage even if the battery leaks, it's a single level Peak.
    Do you know the amp draw of level 8 or approximate runtime on AAA? It's OK to use right until battery is dead?

I got a blank screen on the link 2 posts up.

Flashaholic*

Try to cut and paste the link, or just go to the site and look around. The data shown is for a Rebel LED, which is less efficient than the current XP-G or Nichia, but my guess would be a useable runtime of about 5 hours on Alkaline. This would be with greatly diminished brightness at the end. IIRC amp draw will change with voltage drop.
    Robyn or Curt could probably provide a better answer. Email at sales@peakledsolutions.net.
    -- Albert Einstein

Well I got the QTC that I had to order from Ebay and it took less time to install it than it is taking me know to type about it.
    Works better than it ever has in the Logan where I lost it!

I am disappointed that I could never get a direct answer to my need to get replacement QTC from any of the suppliers that I tried and that includes the manufacturer and the seller from whom I got the light?

I am at a loss as to why the big hurdle just trying to get my light working again?

Anyway now I have extras and am going to try to make a few other lights variable now too!

Exciting!

QTC is often sold in little squares, a few (3-4?) mm a side. Peak takes this square and punches out a circle, around 2 mm in diameter out. The circle piece is used in Eiger lights and the square with a hole in it is used in Logan, El cap, etc, lights.

The peak pill is 2 metal disks with a cavity in the middle for the QTC. The disks are held together with a teflon (?) washer, which holds the entire unit in the light. The pill is supposed to protect the QTC from excessive wear and tearing. I have found the peak QTC (tried 1.0, 2.0, and limited trial on 2.1) implementation to be mediocre. The QTC material still gets damaged, and the action degrades quickly.

Oh well, great in concept, not great in reality.
    Last edited by gunga; 06-22-2015 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    QTC is often sold in little squares, a few (3-4?) mm a side. Peak takes this square and punches out a circle, around 2 mm in diameter out. The circle piece is used in Eiger lights and the square with a hole in it is used in Logan, El cap, etc, lights.

The peak pill is 2 metal disks with a cavity in the middle for the QTC. The disks are held together with a teflon (?) washer, which holds the entire unit in the light. The pill is supposed to protect the QTC from excessive wear and tearing. I have found the peak QTC (tried 1.0, 2.0, and limited trial on 2.1) implementation to be mediocre. The QTC material still gets damaged, and the action degrades quickly.

Oh well, great in concept, not great in reality.
    I had my peak eiger in copper with the momentary switch for 2 years and for the longest time it wouldn't work properly until i dug the pill out yesterday (horrible process). I found out that the copper had oxidised behind the pill and gave it a clean and popped the pill in after removing the delrin o-ring so I don't have to repeat the digging process ever again.

Sad to say, it still doesn't work very well. I always feel like I have to overtighten the head to get it on full mode and with the 10440, it doesn't ramp up smoothly. But at least its working again. I'll probably need to find one from ebay but can someone send me the link, please? I love the form factor of the eiger and always thought they are bombproof, or is it just mine?

Hi there. No, peak implementation of qtc sucks. It can be good initially but degrades quickly. It sounds like a copper host is even worse because of the rapid oxidation. I never considered that. I don't think yours is a unique case.

2016 Bumpasaurus.

I just ordered a 3 pack from Ebay. I searched QTC Pill. You can also search Quantum Tunneling Composite. Both of my Peaks (one is a used one I just picked up) are acting like the Pills are tired. Both are Stainless lights.

I have yet to ever take mine apart. Strange as it is, these are some of the only lights I haven't taken apart. I know you can remove the pill or replace it with foil or copper and go direct drive. I am not interested in that option. I like QTC when it works properly.

Before I dive in, anyone have tips or suggestions on how to access & change the pills?
    Thank you in advance. I plan to update this thread when I get working on mine in a few days. I may do it earlier if I can find my pill bottle that has all my spare QTC pills in it. That is one of the problems when you work on lights and store everything in pill bottles. You end up with a hundred or so of them strewn through out the house and garage.
    Interested in Saltytri lights. Pm me!

Quote Originally Posted by Str8stroke View Post
    Before I dive in, anyone have tips or suggestions on how to access & change the pills?
    Thank you in advance....
    The photos are unfortunately down right now, but this post ...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/....php?p=3964047

... had lots of useful info on that

Thank you archimedes, somehow, I missed that thread when I searched.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8stroke View Post
    Thank you archimedes, somehow, I missed that thread when I searched.
    Yes, it's not easy to find.

Hope the photos will be back soon ....

Cheers !

When my QTC comes in I will try to remember to take a bunch of pics taking one apart. I might start a new thread, then others can chime in with their advice and experiences too. That way we can have a more current record, maybe, of the different versions. Photobucket was down yesterday, but its back up, so I don't know what happened to the pics in that thread. The thread is from 2012, so no telling.

Great idea, thanks !

Nice excavation, finding those pics Archimedes.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Nice excavation, finding those pics Archimedes.
    Thanks ... I think @nbp called me a CPF archivist at one time

Hi archimedes!

It's largely in virtue of your CPF archivism and Peak knowledge that I ended up with my single-level Eigers. And I love them. So, THANK YOU!

(Also, the lumen levels of the lights my flashlighting history can be plotted on a graph that looks nearly identical to the chart in your signature (with, of course, time replacing post count on the x-axis).)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast