What are some comparables for this EDC budget light?

jibberjiv e

Newly Enlightened
So I am looking to get my father an EDC torch for father's day, and I am looking for some alternatives/comparables to the Nitecore MH20 before pulling the trigger.

http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/mh20

List of MH20 features that are a must-have:

-USB charging (he is a property manager, so he needs to be able to recharge it in the car at any given moment)

Things that are nice about the MH20 for our application, but aren't necessarily a deal-breaker:

- Size (EDC)
- 800-1000 lumens
- Budget (this is ~$80, let's say under $100)

I also am debating on whether to go with a torch that has an XM-L2 LED, or to try to find one with an XP-L light (I am kind of a stickler for going with the latest technology/greatest efficiency).

I have a feeling that you guys can probably rattle a handful of different models/brands oof the top of your head that I should look deeper into.

Thanks in advance for any help offered!

Berneck1

Enlightened
I understand the practicality of having the ability to charge the battery in the light. However, I'm not so sure I would charge it regularly in the light. It may be a smart charger, but there is no telling how good it really is. I would be more inclined to use that feature if there is no alternative available. I think you would be better off getting a dedicated smart charger and swap out the batteries as needed. Plus it gives you many more options for lights.

Just my two cents.

I did a Kickstarter for the Zero Hour Relic. Cool thing about that light is there are two USB ports, one in and one out. There's the ability to charge the battery in the light, and I can also charge another device like my phone from the light if I needed to. I do not plan on charging the batteries in the light, unless of course I have no alternative. However, I will like the ability to add a little juice to my phone in an emergency. They start shipping soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Eagles1181

Newly Enlightened
Problem with charging in the light is that once the light is out of battery you are without a light until it is recharged. Get a stand alone light a good USB charger and a pair of batteries. This will allow you to charge one white the other is in use. If you really insist on charging in light, have a look at the Stream light Strion. If you go with two batteries I recommend the Fenix PD35.

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
It seems like it would be more efficient to carry an extra battery with. Three cells could be constantly rotated between charging, pocket backup duty, and active duty so that your dad is never left without light and waiting on recharging.
I'll admit that I like the light Berneck1 mentioned (even though I had never heard of it before). I often carry a spare battery pack for my phone and it comes in handy. It seems like a great option.

Berneck1

Enlightened
It seems like it would be more efficient to carry an extra battery with. Three cells could be constantly rotated between charging, pocket backup duty, and active duty so that your dad is never left without light and waiting on recharging.
I'll admit that I like the light Berneck1 mentioned (even though I had never heard of it before). I often carry a spare battery pack for my phone and it comes in handy. It seems like a great option.

Yeah, I do the same. I carry a charger on me most of the time. Zero Hour had a larger 3x18650 light that they did on Kickstarter last year. From what I can tell, it did well. I figured I would give this one a chance. It could kill two birds with one stone, and I can carry one less thing on me. Only time will tell if it's a good light or not. I'll post my thoughts when I get it and use it.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums