Foursevens Quark Pro on the way!!!!

SoldMyHat

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I love flashlights but don't have a lot of money to spend on hobby stuff, and I have a LOT of hobbies. Part of being a gear nerd I guess. Anyways, I have been eyeing a QP2L-X for a LONGGGGGGGG time. I recently had a "good reason" to make a new light purchase, and I was heart broken to find out that Foursevens was forced to discontinue their Quark Pro/Tactical lines. I am also a big fan of Surefire, but that lawsuit is complete BS. After some searching I found a QP2L-X in stock, and I jumped on it after some "careful deliberation."

I am super excited to get it in, but it also has me wondering if there are any other light manufacturers out there with similar UI's. Everything is moving to side switch mode operation with tail on/off, and worst of all, they have mode memory........

At the very least, what manufacturers have dependable lights without mode memory and firefly/moonlight modes?

Current lights in my collection:
Surefire LX2
Surefire Mossberg DSF-500/590
Streamlight TLR-1HL
Streamlight Microstream
Streamlight Nano

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I just got the same light some weeks ago. Run it with a Keeppower 16650 2500 mAh battery. It's a nice gear item.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great light. I too will miss the old line-up, but I'm pretty well stocked. Definitely get the Keeppower 16650 2500mah - it's the perfect cell for the light. Also consider a Klarus CH1 for it which is a pocketable USB charger AND can also power bank the 16650 for a smartphone, or whatever. My favorite rig is a low voltage QP2A-X head on the 16650 though - not as much output, but it runs 1xCR123/AA/AAA in a pinch, and ANY cell in a lantern mode.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I love flashlights but don't have a lot of money to spend on hobby stuff, and I have a LOT of hobbies. Part of being a gear nerd I guess. Anyways, I have been eyeing a QP2L-X for a LONGGGGGGGG time. I recently had a "good reason" to make a new light purchase, and I was heart broken to find out that Foursevens was forced to discontinue their Quark Pro/Tactical lines. I am also a big fan of Surefire, but that lawsuit is complete BS. After some searching I found a QP2L-X in stock, and I jumped on it after some "careful deliberation."

I am super excited to get it in, but it also has me wondering if there are any other light manufacturers out there with similar UI's. Everything is moving to side switch mode operation with tail on/off, and worst of all, they have mode memory........

At the very least, what manufacturers have dependable lights without mode memory and firefly/moonlight modes?

Current lights in my collection:
Surefire LX2
Surefire Mossberg DSF-500/590
Streamlight TLR-1HL
Streamlight Microstream
Streamlight Nano

Hi Soldmyhat,
Not really answering your question about other manufacturers, but in response:
FourSevens has been very prolific and if you were to choose even 3 lights that met your desired criteria, I bet you could post a "want to buy" thread and pick them up fairly quickly at a reasonable price. If you only want new, an email to 5-7 "commonly used dealers" from CPF would possibly fulfill the need as well. When I first got bit by the flashlight bug, I would read about people who owned 3 or 4 of the same light and I thought it seems illogical. However, a few short years later, and I have a collection of 30-40 Four Sevens lights(another thing I did not understand was people who would buy the hard anodized version and also the Titanium version as well), again, I am guilty of the same thing.
All that to say the lights are still around and fairly easily obtainable. A quick look at Surefire E1E's and it is not hard to guess that in a few short years the same FourSevens lights we are discussing may be rather pricey. Good Luck.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Eagletac D series lights are quite similar to the old 4sevens Quarks. I too, miss the old Quarks, and frankly don't like the direction 4sevens has taken over the past year.

One bonus the Eagletac's have is they come in neutral white! Even a Nichia 219 if you want "perfect tint". :thumbsup:

SoldMyHat

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply guys! I almost bought a QP2L in neutral, but I went for the higher lumens of the QP2L-X in standard cool tint. Such a guy......... Lol. I'll check out the eagletac d series. My main gripe in all these new designs is the mode memory. I just don't like it.

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I almost bought a QP2L in neutral, but I went for the higher lumens of the QP2L-X in standard cool tint.

I didn't think Foursevens made anything with a neutral emitter. They seem to be SO adamently against neitral emitters that they claim that neutral emitters result in a 30% drop in brightness (untrue!).

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't think Foursevens made anything with a neutral emitter. They seem to be SO adamently against neitral emitters that they claim that neutral emitters result in a 30% drop in brightness (untrue!).
Yes there was. It was from the last batch of neutral whites done a couple of years ago which looks more greenish yellow than plain neutral white.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Certainly 4sevens has been steadfast against neutral white for the past couple of years, with the exception of special runs for 3rd party resellers. They claim that when they produce them, nobody buys them.

IMO, the reason that nobody buys them is because they made them difficult to find and order, and they charged a premium for them. And, it may have also been due to the poor tint they chose as pjandyho said.

Other manufacturers seem to be able to handle producing both cool and neutral white. 4sevens is just being short-sighted. I think they want to become the next M@glite, not produce good lights anymore. Perhaps they should look to see how M@g has done over the past few years, and rethink their position.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, we have a manufacturer who is active on the forum, responsive to our questions, and instead of giving feedback and suggestions we insult and criticize him? The issue of neutral white has been beaten to death over and over and over. If you want to suggest to David that many of us would still be willing to purchase lights in NW or other tints, fine- that would be appropriate. But when changes are made in response to a lawsuit from Surefire, suggesting that he is deliberately trying to ruin his company is offensive and just plain rude.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, we have a manufacturer who is active on the forum, responsive to our questions, and instead of giving feedback and suggestions we insult and criticize him? The issue of neutral white has been beaten to death over and over and over. If you want to suggest to David that many of us would still be willing to purchase lights in NW or other tints, fine- that would be appropriate. But when changes are made in response to a lawsuit from Surefire, suggesting that he is deliberately trying to ruin his company is offensive and just plain rude.

Straw-man, much? I think you forgot to also add that I think David eats babies and stomps on puppies in his spare time. :ironic:

andyinNOLA

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a Quark Pro QP2A-X from Amazon about a week ago. It's become my new EDC, replacing a venerable Fenix PD-35, which has been bulletproof but less useful because of its lack of a moonlight/firefly mode. I wanted one of the pre-settlement Quarks, and I have to say that the slender form factor is a bit more comfortable for daily carry clipped to a pants pocket.

Best from New Orleans...A.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
My QP2L-X on the trail. Also have an older Quark AA2-X

I think 4/7s underrates the high modes and accurately states the low. It's kinda the best of both worlds. :)

SoldMyHat

Newly Enlightened
It's a fine light. I love my lx2 for bedside duty, but for everyday use and carry, the qp2l-x is just awesome. Slim. Light. Dim. Bright. Simple UI. No mode memory. I can't believe I waited so long to get one.