Members Thoughts On The Surefire E2L AA Outdoorsman.

lightsdog

Newly Enlightened
I have an opportunity to buy a NIB but older model of this light.It is the 80 lumens model.I know the newest model puts out 115 lumens at its highest setting.I can buy the older model for $115.00 and the newer model is $60-$70 more.

Would members consider this a good deal as apposed to buying the newer model ?

Is the newer model so much more advanced as to warrant the extra cost ?

Is the older model so antiquated as to avoid its purchase at any price ?

Thanking members in advance.

Sarky

Newly Enlightened
I have the shorter E1L which I bought years ago
(thanks to CPF enablers...) and I still find it impressive. It throws a spot further than it has any business doing, due to the optics, and the low and high settings are just right for me. No need to go into build quality. I don't know what the new one'a like, just saying the E1/2L is a great spotty low/high lght.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Sometimes the latest version is not necessarily the BEST. If it were my $, I'd go with the 80 lumens version. Take a look at LED-RESOURCE's October 8, 2010 review of this light. Plus I think a 3 lumens low is more beneficial than a 5 lumens low for a pocketable light...

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Both above posters tell it as it is. It feels like it runs for a super long time on eneloops, ut not as long as on lithiums. Lithiums efectively cut the weight substantially. At 115, it is a decent deal for a light that offers useable levels and never overheats. (I got mine from surefire clearance)

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
the best 2xAA light ive ever owned. great general purpose light, with a good low and high mode, with very long run times.
build quality is excellent. it uses an XR-E emitter which is probably considered a little outdated, but its still much better than those older SSC and luxeons.

btw, the newer E2L-aa has a 2 minute step down feature, so take that into consideration when looking at its lumens/runtimes specs.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome light. Mine is the older xre model. Bright as my older 110 lumen E1B. Excellent throw. Long runtime on high and flat regulation. Good tint and beam. Typical surefire excellent build quality. The only change made to mine was swapping the long bezel down clip for a short bezel up clip. This light and some energizer lithium AA's stays in a bug out bag because of its rock solid reliability.

Last edited:

lightsdog

Newly Enlightened
The help of members has been invaluable,thank you.

In my research on this light I discovered the specifications were based upon the use of Lithium AA's.I also found that these lithiums are as expensive as the 123's.I can't find any specifications using standard alkalines.Part of the attraction of this light is the ability to use standard AA alkaline batteries,which would be cheaper than lithiums but without specifications on these batteries I can't make that determination.

What are the spec's using alkaline AA batteries ?

Would it be cheaper to use alkalines or lithiums ?

Would it be just as inexpensive to use 123's in the E2L [123 battery] Outdoorsman ?

I'm almost there but still a little confused.LOL

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend that you do NOT use alkaline (alkaleak) batteries in it. Nothing worse then ruining a $100 + light, over .50 cents worth of batteries.

The only time I would use alkalines in it, would be in a SHTF situation and you could get nothing else.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course I'm sure mcnair55 will be along soon now, to tell us all how alkalines are the best and how they never leak and have never ruined a light. LOL

lightsdog

Newly Enlightened
Other than the leakage issue,what are the benefits of buying the E2L-AA instead of the standard E2L-123 ?

I assumed the ability to use standard AA batteries was the primary selling point of the E2L-AA as apposed to the E2L-123.

Is the primary selling point the fact that you have the ability to use standard AA's in an emergency? If this is the case then I understand Surefire's introduction of this particular model.

Thanks again for the help so far and the patience of the members.

bentt

Newly Enlightened
The help of members has been invaluable,thank you.

In my research on this light I discovered the specifications were based upon the use of Lithium AA's.I also found that these lithiums are as expensive as the 123's.I can't find any specifications using standard alkalines.Part of the attraction of this light is the ability to use standard AA alkaline batteries,which would be cheaper than lithiums but without specifications on these batteries I can't make that determination.

What are the spec's using alkaline AA batteries ?

Would it be cheaper to use alkalines or lithiums ?

Would it be just as inexpensive to use 123's in the E2L [123 battery] Outdoorsman ?

I'm almost there but still a little confused.LOL

http://flashlightguide.com/2013/07/review-surefire-e2laa-a-outdoorsman/

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pack or two of the lithium AA primaries as emergency back ups. They will sit quite a while. Set of Eneloops (or other quality LSD nimh AA's) and a charger for normal use. Check the battery section for reviews on assorted AA nimh cells. If using the light a lot, money saved on batteries alone ( if using rechargeable nimh vs lithium or akaline primaries ) will pay for the charger and batteries.

lightsdog

Newly Enlightened

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will take a slightly different approach, since my brothers have already voiced their approval of this light(older model), and good info on batteries has been given or referenced. My recommendation is "Buy the light". You can't go wrong. As previously mentioned, Energizer L91 Lithium batteries(1.7-1.8 volts) have a shelf life of over 10 years(thus your " emergency back up light" is covered). In a major disaster, you can use alkaleaks if needed so that base is covered. It will run quite nicely on Eneloops, so rechargeable batteries for cost saving is covered. In short, or to make a long explanation longer, this light has so many positives, it is an excellent buy and you can check your own real world run time, so if the real crisis hits, you have hard empirical data to base your decisions on. Good luck, I believe you will not be disappointed in this purchase.