Research ongoing

Longslide

Newly Enlightened
I've spent quite a bit of time here lately because, well, I'm a nerd who enjoys the research. As an owner over the years of tens and tens of old fashioned maglites and such, I find myself in an industry where a trustworthy, tough, portable light is a daily necessity. I first picked up a Fenix LD 02 which rode in a shirt pocket for a week until suddenly the pocket clip VANISHED! Not the light, thank goodness. By the clip just suddenly wasn't there. Now it goes EVERYwhere with me in my right rear pocket. AAAs are cheap and easy, and with an 8 pack of spares in my tool bag and another in the console (heat is a worry, I gather), I shouldn't be left in the dark.

Before anybody suggests a search, let me assure you I've done a ton. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?285009-18650-s-Care-and-Maintenance

This was awesome and led me to Battery University, etc. there's much to learn though!

Wanting something rechargeable able and with a bit more punch, I was about to pull the trigger on a UC 35. But I found a good deal on an Olight S30R and went that route.

With all I've learned, I know I'm still a novice. I've seen suggestions about extra batteries (18650 in this case), volt meters, etc. it's a little overwhelming. Both lights will be used daily. Sometimes a little. Sometimes a lot. There are situations where I find myself in a plant shutdown where I'm 8 stories up in pitch blackness (I mean TOTAL) in Freddy Kruegers living room. Light is a must.

So, for better or worse, these are the choices I've made in what's quickly gonna become an obsession. Any leadership about what meters, Chargers, etc would help me in my next steps would be appreciated.

BTW, so far the Olight is fantastic. I've read of some problems they've had, but this seems great. Should it live on the charger every evening, or only when it's spent a couple of weeks being used.

New guys outs can be annoying, I know. But bear with me please. I'm soaking this stuff up! 🔦

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore D4 charger with digital display built-in meter

Any rewrapped Panasonic 18650b 3400mAh:
Eagletac, Olight, Nitecore, . . .

Then any light you choose will work well.

uofaengr

Enlightened
Nitecore D4 charger with digital display built-in meter

Any rewrapped Panasonic 18650b 3400mAh:
Eagletac, Olight, Nitecore, . . .

Then any light you choose will work well.
Agree with this.

I'm in plant environments frequently, and the lights the plant furnishes the personnel, they should be ashamed of themselves. Usually these one mode, flat 4xAA type deals that put out about 20 lumens of yellow light.

Investing in a good setup is totally worth the money, and these days a good setup can be had for not much cash at all.