Keychain carry light

Pronto Tonto

Newly Enlightened
Time for a new keychain light. Right now I am looking at a Eagletac D25a Mini or a Surefire Titan a. I know these use different batteries but they are both approx 3" long with the Eagletac being only a little wider. I want to stay around 3" long as this will be on my keychain.

Any recommendations on these two lights or others which may fit the bill are much appreciated.

Thanks

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are you looking for in a keychain light? If it is just unlocking doors, looking around for something you dropped, or lighting the immediate area look at the Nitecore Tube. Ten dollars, 5/45 with infinite between, and rechargeable via USB. I have had one on my keychain since they first came out and really like it. It is small enough and light enough it doesn't feel like it is there at all. I also have one as a zipper pull on all my coats and jackets. If you keep an eye out, every so often they go on sale for around $6 or so, making an even better deal.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I think you'll find the D25AAA to be small/thin, and it's lumens outshine many other small/thin AAA lights.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Time for a new keychain light.

One of the lowest weight lights I know, with no PWM, and no High CRI is the Olight i3s.
The lowest weight light I know of with no PWM, and YES High CRI available, is the Eagletac D25aaa with N219b
Check out the last link in my sig for a list of aaa lights along with their feature sets. The second link in my sig also has spectrum images for a few low and high CRI lights

gclyn

Newly Enlightened
I would offer another recommendation: the Thrunite Ti3 it's ~2 3/4" in length. Some other specs -

LED: Cree XP-G2 R5
Battery: 1 AAA battery
Dimesion: 70mm(length)*14mm(head diameter)
Weight: 12 gram without battery
Waterproof to IPX-8 standard
Firefly: 0.04 Lm(115h), Low: 12 Lm(6.3h), High: 120Lm(0.5h), Strobe:120Lm(1 hour)

The only thing is that it is twist operated, no clicky button.

I think only $19.95 online

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used the Tank007 E09 on my Keychain and was very pleased with it's output and reliability, however I didn't like the fact that the anodised finish was getting worn off by the contact with the keys so I replaced it with the ES12, the stainless steel version. I'm very pleased with it.

$24.95 from GearBest inc shipping.

If you don't mind the anodised finish wearing off the E09's available for $11.32 inc shipping from the same site, I bought them for my whole family.

Stick an AAA Lithium primary in it and forget about it until you need it! :)

Last edited:

torchflux

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore Tube
I have the Vinh modified version and love it.

Thrunite Ti3
have had the Tube, and ^ this on keychain recently.

Although I rotate the Ti3 out, with the new Fenix E05 (blue color). The E05 is slightly heavier, shorter, and wider diameter than the Ti3; but it also seems better ? engineered and a more 'solid' little light. Fenix quality. and also a great value for the money. at this point while I still appreciate the Ti3, favor/prefer the E05 for everyday keychain carry. E05's knurling also now seems preferable to the Ti3's knurling (which is 'rougher'/sharper in comparison).
(I additionally have a V54 Vinh modded SS E05, which is heavier than the standard model and feels even more solid.)

One of the lowest weight lights I know, with no PWM, and no High CRI is the Olight i3s.
Yes the i3s is excellent, and lighter than either the Ti3 or E05. Gave one as a gift to someone who daily carries it on her keychain.

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Yes, I have several i3s lights and also bought the purple one for the wife.

In a more expensive category the flame treated Thrunite TiS is very nice. Here's mine:

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have all the lights mentioned and they are all good. However, I prefer SS or ti lights on my keychain. Heavier, but they don't scratch. DQG makes a very small AAA twisty in SS (about the size of a FourSevens Atom). Another light for your list is the Fenix E05 - it comes in aluminum or SS.

You may want to consider sub-AAA lights like the DQG Spy and Oveready Peak Eigers. I currently have a DQG Spy and a spare 10180 cell (in a delrin capsule) on my key chain. This replaced an Oveready Peak Eiger Nichia 219 mule. They use li-ion rechargeable cells and you do need a special charger for them. They also don't have great runtimes. But they are small.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Good points and info on the smaller lights. I was going to mention those but you beat me to it. :)

I just ordered several more of the Fairy and Hobi each in case of loss or breakage since they're so cheap.

Gearbest has the extra chargers for 8 bucks plus the lights. I like that the charger is USB so you can charge it in your car.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a Fenix E15 on one of 2 key rings and that little light is INSANE really!
Amazing output and runtime for the size I think and mine has held up well to carry too.
Just to expand your options one more time.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I currently have a DQG Spy
Oh No! Now I have a whole bunch of new light options to consider :)
Hobi stainless NW
Fairy brass 4500K
Spy titanium 90CRI (Im a BIG fan of High CRI)
fwiw, of those 3, the Spy will tail stand :)

and, while were at non aaa tiny keychain lights, I carried a Pico Light for a long time, until I went up in size to aaa and found out about High CRI…

hang on to your wallet!:)

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't panic! Consider your needs. I have several sub-AAA lights and like them for keychain duty. But they are floody and don't have long runtimes. If you need more throw or need long(er) runtime, stick to AAA lights. There are many great and useful AAA lights and finding the one that really hits your sweet spot will keep you busy and your credit card warm from use.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
4C1AB252-70E0-431C-8EF8-5B3C3AC7F319_zpsqmy5fdxs.jpg

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sub-AAA lights include the Tain 10250 Octavino, the mini worm, a mini maratec (head modded by Vinh), Oveready Peak Eigers (Nichia 219 mule) and Veleno (modded by Vinh).

The AAA lights on the left include FourSevens Atoms, Preon 1, DQG twisty. The ones in the middle include the Tain Octavino V2, copper worm, copper Maratac (modded by Vinh) Olight, ThruNite, ThruNite Ti2, Klarus MiX6 ti, Nitecore T5s, McGizmo Sapphire GS Tank007 E09 and others. The ones on the right are clickies, including Streamlight, Pelican and Lumapower. The Prometheus QR, Dereelight, Titanium Innovations and Sunwayman are in ther somewhere. New family members include the DQG clicky, Fenix E05, Fenix E02 andKlarus Mi02.

The car is a 1986 911.

Remember, don't panic.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember, don't panic.
Thank You for taking the time to list them :).. please pass me the paper bag, Im hyperventilating.. but fortunately a lot of those little lights are NLA… phew! Plus Im limiting myself to High CRI only.. the Spy is tempting… my wallet is nervous, but no panic, yet.. LOL