Made in the USA semi fast hike in the rain. Surefire edition.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
It rained all day with temps in the mid to lower 60's. Felt more like spring than summer. Looks like another semi fast hike but with a new twist. Wet muddy ground from a washed out weekend so running would be limited. This trail is 6.5 miles with .5 mile of off trial activities and .5 mile of road hiking planned. Semi fast hikes means a light pack but given the greater chance for a slip, trip or fall I packed stuff which can take a hit. Oddly enough that gear is made in the USA.

Let's see what's inside.

Getting a late start with at least 7 miles ahead there is a chance I might be hiking during a raining night. Normally I prefer headlamps but with fog and rain the glare can be a too much. Heavy rain even worse so packed a flashlight.

1. Surefire 6P with M61WL drop-in. Both made in the USA.

The LED drop-in has a warm tint which is supposed to simulate incandescent light or something like that. It's supposed to be better in rain and fog or at least that's what some claim. I really don't know if it penetrates the mist better than neutral white or cool white but it does seem easier on my eyes in terms of glare from the fog so that's good enough. More importantly the electronics are potted. This means it can take hits that would spell certain doom for lesser lights. Given the chance of slipping this increased durability is important.

2. Blind Horse Knives scandi large Tiger Knapp 13c26.

The stainless steel won't be harmed by the rain. Blind Horse Knives has separated into two companies, Battle Horse Knives and L.T. Wright Handcrafted Knives. Both are made in the USA. The ferro rod isn't made in the USA but firesteel hold is. I made that myself. The paracord lanyard and wrap are also my mods. It's a great knife.

3. The Kifaru E&E is made of 1000d and even lined. If I should ever be eaten by a Jurassic park dinosaur it would probably have to spit the pack up. No question nothing on this trail is going to be able to harm it. Well maybe a black bear but even then......

4. Dunamis gear Medium Cargo Hanger Pocket.

It's ability to easily attach to many packs with webbing, easy access and cinch down makes for a very nice canteen pocket. Made in the USA.

5. Equinox terrapin poncho tarp.

Priced right and well made. I have no intention of using the poncho despite the rain. Heck I am wearing cotton clothing with the exception of synthetic socks. The cooling properties of cotton should come into play when moving fast however not the best option for an overnight when activity slows.

6. Nalgene Oasis canteen.

Like the others made in the USA. Both durable and UL it's a winner.

7. Altoids PSK. Pictured above. I think Altoids is a British thing but nothing is perfect I guess.

The semi fast hike.

It became apparent that much of this hike wouldn't be running. There was some old roads which weren't too bad for a nice jog.

What to do with the hiking poles when running? If going up hill they help out greatly. The same for fast walking over rocky or slippery ground. Works when slowly walking over very slippery surfaces like mud and roots. When running I grab them well below the cork handle and they swing along with the arms. A bit awkward but a good workout over distance as the arms are forced into position or the poles will strike each other.

These are all over the place in the rain. I like the little critters so take care not to step on them.

If I had old tennis shoes I would crawl around in this swamp.

Muddy, no running through this.

But maybe the deer can pull it off. I like having 3 points of contact with the ground which is very stable whenever possible.

Big storm a few days ago. Found similar dead fall on other trails as well. Like those this blocked the path.

So green.

A bit lower found some fallen Hemlock with this fungus growing on it. I bet it must have some uses but not sure. Don't have any bags to pack it but will return another day.

Crossed a few brooks.

Keep on hiking.

Some of the largest partridge berries I have seen.

Getting near the end. Well not really, I have another 1/2 mile beyond that plus an unexpected 2 miles additional.

The falls.

Nice beach down trail some.

On a lark went for a swim. Cold day and cold water but what the heck.

Hiked down trail some more but realized my hat was gone. Back one mile to the falls so add another 2 to the trip.

Abandoned camp. Even more stuff than shown here. Gee I guess it was all too much for them.

Canvas tent with Al poles.

That's about it. The road was 1/4 mile away then jogged the last 1/2 mile to the truck. Honestly I think there was only a few miles which running was an option. I also don't recommend semi fast hiking in a wet environment given the change for slipping. Guessing covered 8-9 miles which wasn't bad for a late Sunday afternoon hike. The made in the USA gear wasn't purchased primarily because it's nation of origin. That gear was simply the best options available for my needs.

Thanks for looking.

mhanlen

Enlightened
Nice photos. I'd say that looks like Virginia, but that sandy beach throws me off and I've hiked quite a few trails in Shenandoah. Looks like you still had fun!

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woods Walker, have you thought about starting or converting this thread to document your future hikes? Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures and info about your gear. Your 6P looks vulnerable without a bezel ring that covers the edge.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice pics. Those backpacks remind of when I was a kid, had a green canvass backpack for school that looked similar.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Woods Walker, have you thought about starting or converting this thread to document your future hikes? Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures and info about your gear. Your 6P looks vulnerable without a bezel ring that covers the edge.

I was thinking about a bezel ring for some time. Lots of them look like they might dig into my pack. I have scratched up windows on my G2Z (Z44 bezel) but never damaged the outer lip. Any ideas for replacement of the plastic ring as it's probably a good idea? I think people would get bored fast reading this stuff. Today for example I did a late afternoon hike/run with a bit of easy climbing. Used the headlamp as dark moved in.

No expert but it seems like 3-points of contact really increases stability and balance. Also this isn't the time to decide if .02 lumens or 1.5 is best. Light it up.

Lights and a custom made necker though the Kydex is my work. Believe it or not a fire can be made using the little PSK knife and paracord.

The XM-L2 Neutral White on the right has a nice tint but the Cool White XP-G2 on the left used in this Quark is also good.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
WW, Xeno makes both flat and crenulated stainless steel bezel rings compatible with surefire C and P lights.
I got one from edcplus. Not sure if that is the cheapest. Looks really good and every bit as functional. Oveready offers a delrin one if you prefer a potentially scratched up plastic one over a stainless steel one.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
WW, Awesome pics! Thanks for taking the time to Take them, edit them, post them. I really enjoy seeing and reading your posts.