New 970 Lumen XP-L Coast HP17 and Touchy Neighbors

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got the new Coast HP17 in the mail today and man...it is a beast! XP-L emitter and 970 lumens all variable focus. On tight focus the hot spot is the shape of the LED its pretty wild and ungodly bright. A steal of a deal got mine for pretty cheap. Cleaned it up first, lubed O ring, freshly charged Tenergy 10000mah Premiums and boy does it rock. Only down side is you gotta click through all the settings (low Med High) EVERY time. Turn it off in low and it comes on low which considering how bright it is on bright I guess is a good thing. One problem though...been trying to discretely do beam shots late at night when I think they are asleep and wake them up. They HATE both Javelots. Thus pics will be up in a couple days taken somewhere else lol. Claimed range on high is 480 meters which is no slouch....

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really hope you are not bothering your neighbors on purpose. In a residential neighborhood, all activity should cease after 11pm.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
absolutely not. They know Im the "flashlight guy" theyve even come over to check them out sometime. They are great neighbors and dont want to rub them the wrong way. Thus beam shot activity is strictly indoors at home. Very true, loud music etc stops here at 11pm. They thought the Javelots were the police and they woke them up hence outdoor activity, even though my backyard is nearly 70 meters wide. Just gonna have to do some driving down the river side perhaps ask permission at certain places. I dont do Vinh lights cause then the entire neighborhood would think the cops were out that and I like my factory warranty. Some truly impressive sites here to do shots gonna start by asking the park ranger/police next to Ft.Belvoir for say 30 min after they close then I leave. There was a case in a neighboring county about some kid being stupid and purposely lighting up a low flying cop chopper with a TK75. They actually caught him. Dont known what they did with him prbly just took his light he was a minor. I am far from a minor just have the hobby. Prbly go camping with a stack of lights and my camera soon....so until then my shots will be inside. Wow....5 years ago I would have called anyone saying we would have such insane lights crazy...

TRW3

Newly Enlightened
CelticCross74,

Do you have the newer olight M23X javelot? Been wanting to see the beam profile on this one if you got it or the newer m20x. And yeah.. I try to keep my flashaholism low pro around the neighborhood at night too.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im on the waiting list for the M23 via GoingGear. Will be my last light for awhile (yeah right said that before lol). Do you mean M2X? Have both M2X and M3X Javelots. They are both amazing. The beam out of the M23 will most likely be more narrow than the beam that comes out of the wide reflector of the M2X. Tint should be pretty close.

TRW3

Newly Enlightened
CelticCross74,

Yeah the m2x. I've heard good things about all those lights. I used to have the 500 lumen version olight m20x back 2 years ago. Im undecided though on getting the new one or M23 javelot. Let me know what you think of your m23 javelot when u get it.

The m20sx javelot I'm hoping will be updated to a newer emitter or xpl hi preferrably. I like how compact and pocketable that light was. UI was perfect too.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
posted them in another thread will try to dig a couple out of my many beam shots

look closely at the hot spot its a square on its side and the light is brighter in person

IMG_0168_zpsgb2kauul.jpg

IMG_0166_zps8okkclmj.jpg

IMG_01551_zpss8eabtij.jpg

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
its 3 D cells. I run 3x Tenergy Premium 10000mah D NiMHs. Throws 479 meters pull back on the head for nice bright artifact free flood. The extra 2 inches? The tailcap is an inch alone the other inch is in the huge head length. I could smash a pumpkin with this thing.